Climbing Partner Musings

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
nmjameswilson
14ers: 58 
13ers: 15
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Climbing Partner Musings

Post by nmjameswilson »

I have hiked with a handful of partners and I have been lucky to have had a great one every time.
Vetting a partner is the most important part I feel. Simple questions can eliminate a lot of the risk in making the choice to climb with someone.

These are the big things for me:
Experience - I want someone that has at least the same experience as me. If they have more that is even better as long as they are comfortable with my experience.
Commitment - Saying you will do something then don't. Example: "I will meet you at TH at 5am" then the night before say it is too far to drive. This one happened to me. ](*,)
Pace - No one wants to wait for someone that takes breaks every half mile. Finding someone with similar pace is important. While some might be slower at certain portions of a climb the overall pace should be similar.
Attitude - Negative comments on the climb or someone complaining about their personnel life too much. On trails/approaches I do not mind getting to know someone more but when we get to the harder stuff lets talk the climb instead.
Lying - Saying you have done a lot of exposed climbing then being very timid on limited exposed routes
Situation Awareness - On areas that rocks can be knocked down on others I do not want someone that just flies up with no regard to others. Communication on route choice is important in these instances.

I am sure there are more but these are my main ones I try to root out with conversation with someone before a climb. It is OK to not be a good fit as there are plenty of other people for both of you to climb with. :-D
cedica
Trip Reports (0)

Post by cedica »

HikesInGeologicTime wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 7:08 pm Maybe we need an "Introverted Hikers Unite!" as well as a "Short Hikers Unite!" thread.
Or "Jay and Silent Bob unite!", why not promote more diversity on the forum.
docinco
14ers: 50 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by docinco »

hey, when are we going to find out who was/what happened to curly bill ("Tombstone") broscious?
highpilgrim
13ers: 84 1
Trip Reports (1)

Post by highpilgrim »

docinco wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 8:29 am hey, when are we going to find out who was/what happened to curly bill ("Tombstone") broscious?
GGG

Grendelbro Gone Guy.JPG
Grendelbro Gone Guy.JPG (22.85 KiB) Viewed 2701 times
Call on God, but row away from the rocks.
Hunter S Thompson

Walk away from the droning and leave the hive behind.
Dick Derkase
Tornadoman
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 266 35
Trip Reports (12)

Post by Tornadoman »

nmjameswilson wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 6:40 am Commitment - Saying you will do something then don't. Example: "I will meet you at TH at 5am" then the night before say it is too far to drive. This one happened to me. ](*,)
I had a similar thing happen 3x in a row to me with potential 13er partners, and it was the other person who initiated the thread! We would exchange a couple messages and have a good general plan but the afternoon before when it was time to finalize plans it was silence. Maybe my reputation is crappy, IDK. I basically stopped trying to connect with people that I don't know personally after that as the random folks on the forum just didn't seem to be working out.
Climb the mountain so you can see the world, not so the world can see you.
habaceeba
14ers: 27 
13ers: 93 1 1
Trip Reports (3)

Post by habaceeba »

Tornadoman wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:17 am
nmjameswilson wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 6:40 am Commitment - Saying you will do something then don't. Example: "I will meet you at TH at 5am" then the night before say it is too far to drive. This one happened to me. ](*,)
I had a similar thing happen 3x in a row to me with potential 13er partners, and it was the other person who initiated the thread! We would exchange a couple messages and have a good general plan but the afternoon before when it was time to finalize plans it was silence. Maybe my reputation is crappy, IDK. I basically stopped trying to connect with people that I don't know personally after that as the random folks on the forum just didn't seem to be working out.
That's the Craigslist paradox.
Tornadoman
13ers: 266 35
Trip Reports (12)

Post by Tornadoman »

habaceeba wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:20 am
That's the Craigslist paradox.
Haha... I have never used Craigslist, but I have friends who do and I have heard the horror stories! :lol:
Climb the mountain so you can see the world, not so the world can see you.
12ersRule
13ers: 157
Trip Reports (4)

Post by 12ersRule »

They probably just didn't know who you were when they set up the date, and then got super intimidated and cancelled at the 11th hour.
Kiefer
14ers: 58  39 
13ers: 317 24
Trip Reports (20)

Post by Kiefer »

cottonmountaineering wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:04 pm a positive attitude i found to be most important, everything else can be fixed
THIS

Couldn't agree more.
Ptglhs
13ers: 86 3
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Ptglhs »

CaptCO wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 5:23 pm Perseverance, general understanding, endurance, and good vibes. There are some people who I've felt "on edge" hiking with because they took it so serious..
Willingness to cuddle in a mine shaft when you get lost is important too.
Salient
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Salient »

Ptglhs wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 7:44 pm
CaptCO wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 5:23 pm Perseverance, general understanding, endurance, and good vibes. There are some people who I've felt "on edge" hiking with because they took it so serious..
Indeed, I’m sure everyone has experienced this at least once
Be the best you that you can be.
pvnisher
Trip Reports (8)

Post by pvnisher »

Ptglhs wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 7:44 pm
Haven't seen you in a while, buddy! Glad you're posting again! No cap.