Avalanche Near SLC, UT

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing.
Forum rules
Please do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website. For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
onebyone
Posts: 500
Joined: 7/27/2012
14ers: 58 1

Re: Avalanche Near SLC, UT

Post by onebyone »

greenonion wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 3:56 pm
Fireweed wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 2:52 pm https://twitter.com/dipsetcarini/status ... 92896?s=20

Video of an avalanche from the Unitas yesterday.
Super lucky! (at least the ones alive that you can see) Thanks for sharing. Super scary.
Man, that is a hell of a reality check. The speed and power.
User avatar
CaptCO
Posts: 1769
Joined: 7/14/2019
14ers: 58 14
13ers: 45 1
Trip Reports (5)
Contact:

Re: Avalanche Near SLC, UT

Post by CaptCO »

onebyone wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 12:47 pm
greenonion wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 3:56 pm
Fireweed wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 2:52 pm https://twitter.com/dipsetcarini/status ... 92896?s=20

Video of an avalanche from the Unitas yesterday.
Super lucky! (at least the ones alive that you can see) Thanks for sharing. Super scary.
Man, that is a hell of a reality check. The speed and power.
:wft: :o I’d rather stand outside in a cat 3 hurricane...
"It's a thing if you want it to be a thing. What others think of something is irrelevant." -OldSchool

Proof is in the progress, patience is essence; I’m crazy as a fox

"The future no longer belongs to my generation"

DM @Capt_Alec for nudes
User avatar
lodgling
Posts: 499
Joined: 6/21/2005
14ers: 58 57 2
13ers: 18 1
Trip Reports (11)

Re: Avalanche Near SLC, UT

Post by lodgling »

The final report from this one is up:
https://utahavalanchecenter.org/avalanc ... 9e8D_VilPM

Very tragic.
User avatar
curt86iroc
Posts: 106
Joined: 5/29/2013
14ers: 14

Re: Avalanche Near SLC, UT

Post by curt86iroc »

a very good report of an awful event...
User avatar
d_baker
Posts: 2765
Joined: 11/18/2007
14ers: 58 15
13ers: 284 9
Trip Reports (57)

Re: Avalanche Near SLC, UT

Post by d_baker »

curt86iroc wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 5:17 pm a very good report of an awful event...
Yeah, that's an interesting way they tell the story of the day. I like it, compared to CAIC's way. Both organizations do a great way to relay info though.
Tragic day for sure though.
User avatar
GravityPilot
Posts: 293
Joined: 4/29/2007
14ers: 15
13ers: 11
Trip Reports (1)

Re: Avalanche Near SLC, UT

Post by GravityPilot »

There is a difference between being aware of hazards and understanding risk.
Jorts wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 2:39 pm
curt86iroc wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 1:31 pm
I don't agree that one needs to be a forecaster level of experience to understand the risks from Saturday (day of this accident). the hazards were very obvious in that region, and anyone who read the report from UAC knew what the risks were that day. again, i suspect the group was experienced enough to know what the risks were, but accepted them. I'm curious if the survivors speak more about it in the coming weeks. not placing blame here at all. just trying to highlight that we all have different levels of risk acceptance.
That's fair. You do not have to be a forecaster to understand the risks. But still it seems presumptuous to assume they knew the risks and accepted them. 8 should never be caught in the same slide. That's why I find it unlikely they understood the risks. Groups that truly grasp the risks take mitigation measures like traveling one at a time through the problem area.

This Utah incident reminded me of the deep persistent slab that killed 5 on Loveland Pass in 2013. The solo survivor said they were aware of the DPS issues and were deliberately avoiding steep slopes. They failed to consider how deep DPS slides tend to break and subsequently how far (relative to alpha angle) they can travel. They were not knowingly accepting risk when all 6 of them were caught by that slide.

To your point... Maybe there are just more people that fall into the "intermediate/advanced" classification of backcountry users, thus more of those people are involved in avy incidents than beginners and experts. And maybe it's analogous to "there are old climbers and bold climbers but few old, bold climbers," such that avalanche experts are naturally more cautious.
pvnisher
Posts: 1497
Joined: 9/29/2006
14ers: List not added
Trip Reports (8)

Re: Avalanche Near SLC, UT

Post by pvnisher »

That video is really scary, but in the text he wrote that he pulled his airbag and it didn't deploy because he hasn't armed it.
And he only found his brother because he could hear his voice because although he had a beacon be didn't know how to use it.

That points to someone buying gear and thinking it will save you, rather than proper education and practice.
Post Reply