COVID recovery

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Oman
14ers: 57 
Trip Reports (0)

Re: COVID recovery

Post by Oman »

HikerGuy wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 10:52 am It seems that we have a thread every week or two about wearing masks outside and I agree, it's unnecessary (I still do it when passing others as a courtesy, but this thing really does not spread outdoors).
One of our sons got covid for the second time in a year after grabbing a beer in a backyard with one friend who was asymptomatic at the time but tested positive four days later. It was his only contact in a week with someone outside his house. He said they were across a five-foot table from each other. Covid spreads outdoors, too.
ltlFish99
14ers: 49  3  2 
13ers: 51
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ltlFish99 »

I have known a few people who had it.
One reports some lingering fatigue after exercise, etc. One is still mildly I'll, but also has other health issues.
Fortunately I have not had it.
For reasons I will not boor people with, I am a hand washing freak. I am not quite OCD about it as I once was, but still very diligent. I have not dined at a restaurant in a long time, only takeout for quite a while.
I do attend indoor meetings about 3 times a week, but we all, always utilize masks and stay away from each other. We also cap the meetings at the recommended maximum number of people.
I hike quite often and do not wear a mask while hiking. When passing others, I simply get off to the side of the trail as do other people.
When I am next in line, i will get the vaccine.
I am 61 and enjoy several different types of outdoor activities. I have damaged certain aspects of my health with other activities for a long time.
I do not believe that I have seriously compromised my health, but do NOT want covid and will continue to be very careful.
Will_E
14ers: 58  58 
13ers: 210 37
Trip Reports (21)

Post by Will_E »

I had it back in April. I work for Walmart, I was working at a store that had a massive outbreak, 58 associates got it, store closed for 3 days. I had a severe case, I’m a cardio maniac, run marathons, crazy long days in the mountains, but for the 8 days or so I was infected, I couldn’t walk upstairs in my house without running short of breath. It was horrible. My biggest fear was losing lung capacity and not being able to do the things I love. 2 weeks after healing I did Iron Nipple, Huerfano and Lindsey, then California Peak the next day. It was such a relief to be able to get back at it. Everything seems to have recovered, similar running pace as before, and I’ve had some crazy long days on peaks.
CoHi591
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 76
Trip Reports (0)

Post by CoHi591 »

Will_E wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 6:09 pm I had it back in April. I work for Walmart, I was working at a store that had a massive outbreak, 58 associates got it, store closed for 3 days. I had a severe case, I’m a cardio maniac, run marathons, crazy long days in the mountains, but for the 8 days or so I was infected, I couldn’t walk upstairs in my house without running short of breath. It was horrible. My biggest fear was losing lung capacity and not being able to do the things I love. 2 weeks after healing I did Iron Nipple, Huerfano and Lindsey, then California Peak the next day. It was such a relief to be able to get back at it. Everything seems to have recovered, similar running pace as before, and I’ve had some crazy long days on peaks.
Thank you everyone for sharing all of your stories, I appreciate it. There's a solid chance I've already had it and been asymptomatic, of course, I worked in grocery until last month, but who knows.
I know the horror stories are possible but I desperately needed to hear at least one story like this^ to maintain some semblance of sanity in not going on a full spiral. I am one of those people who is fully dedicated to the mountains. Very reliant upon my fitness and I have very little else. So it's tiring to worry like this. To all of you who have shared stories of lingering effects I've got my fingers crossed for your full recovery soon.
The days I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, I have really good days.
Kiefer
14ers: 58  39 
13ers: 317 24
Trip Reports (20)

Post by Kiefer »

I had it for about two and a half weeks. It was REALLY bad for about four days. But holy hell, the sheer exhaustion was insane!
I tried Belford/Ox a few days after being what I thought was fully recovered and had to turn around at 13,500'. I couldn't breathe and my legs
weren't having it.
Things are back to normal now but wow; that damn virus really knocked me on my a** for a while. Much worse than any seasonal flu.
nyker
14ers: 58 
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (69)

Post by nyker »

Three family members had it, one was very ill for about 6 weeks, unable to get out of bed for 3 of those and still has a loose cough and the other two had less severe symptoms and no real lasting effects.
Like most things related to this virus, it's very variable based on the individual (and known risk factors which complicate the case and some probably unknown risk/lifestyle factors), and sometimes not really predictable.
Jorts
14ers: 58  4  2 
13ers: 102 11 5
Trip Reports (10)

Post by Jorts »

Lioness wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 1:13 pm By 2100 it is estimated there will be 10.9 billion people on the planet.

More people will probably be killed by climate change but that will not really be addressed because it is slow moving and not dramatic.
Man, that's just depressing. There are too many of us. Humans need to check themselves. It should really be a cultural revolution. Only economists and idiots think exponential growth can continue indefinitely in a finite world.
Traveling light is the only way to fly.
IG: @colorado_invasive
Strava: Brent Herring
Lioness
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Lioness »

Jorts wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 7:27 am
Lioness wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 1:13 pm By 2100 it is estimated there will be 10.9 billion people on the planet.

More people will probably be killed by climate change but that will not really be addressed because it is slow moving and not dramatic.
Man, that's just depressing. There are too many of us. Humans need to check themselves. It should really be a cultural revolution. Only economists and idiots think exponential growth can continue indefinitely in a finite world.
That's one reason I don't hold out much hope climate change will be addressed. No on is talking about the demand for energy, just the supply.
Phill the Thrill
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 60
Trip Reports (6)

Post by Phill the Thrill »

I got the virus in November. I was moderately sick for 4-5 days, but recovery has been slow. Exactly one month after getting sick I climbed Quandary Peak and my lung capacity was clearly affected - I really struggled above tree line but summited. For me that was a call to action and I've since lost weight (11 lbs) and ramped up my cardio training. It's getting better every week, now approx 10 weeks into recovery. My lungs are slowly healing and I feel like I'm on the road to full recovery in another couple of months.
"Everyone wants to live on top of the mountain, but all the happiness and growth occurs while you're climbing it." - Andy Rooney
MN teleMARKer
14ers: 36  1 
13ers: 3 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by MN teleMARKer »

I, along with my family, had it early November. I’m training for a marathon now and have been back country skiing all winter. Other than being a bit wiped out for a week (maybe an understatement), symptoms weren’t bad for any of us. My wife and older son did each have low grade fevers one night, and we all lost our sense of taste and smell (temporary), but we all recovered without issues. Colds that I have had in the past effected me more than COVID.

To note.... the symptoms two of my co-workers (healthy, active guys in their late 20s) had from the second vaccine shot were much worse than the symptoms my family had from COVID itself.

I realize that it might be crap-shoot, but I’m glad we had COVID and can move on.
Wake up every day with a purpose
ker0uac
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ker0uac »

I had it in November. Noticeable symptoms - mild fever, lethargy, cough - lasted for ~2 days. About a week later, it was if nothing had happened.

If you look back in history, we introduced new seemingly harmless things into our lives despite a lack of studies on their long-term consequences. Most adults smoked in the 50s and 60s despite lack of final LT studies. Most constructions used asbestos despite lack of final LT studies. Most first-aid kits had mercury in it despite lack of final LT studies. We have legalized weed despite lack of LT studies. Heck, some of the ingredients used by the food industry haven't been tested for LT consequences! The current epidemic of heart disease was caused by the food industry. So, if you are really concerned about the unknown LT consequences of covid-19, don't worry, there's very little we know about the LT consequences of most of the government-sanctioned things you do or use in your life.
Those who travel to mountain-tops are half in love with themselves and half in love with oblivion
AccidentalColoradan
14ers: 22  1 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by AccidentalColoradan »

I'm a 24 year old guy, fairly healthy, no underlying chronic conditions or anything,

I had it for the first time way back in March (presumed positive due to the there being no tests available but the symptoms fit and I had already had the flu that winter). Body aches, chills, high fever, etc. for about a day, bad sore throat for a week. Ended up losing about 15 pounds in the months following despite no real changes in diet or exercise level. No proof the wight loss was related, but I and my doctor couldn't figure out another cause. Fast forward to late November, despite being as cautious as possible (although my work has me going into multiple strangers' houses each day, most of whom will not put on a mask for the time I'm there) I caught it a second time. The symptoms were the same, but more intense and lasted longer this time. I've been getting random chest pains and sharp pains when I breathe in for the last couple weeks, and am noticeably slower and more winded when hiking now.

I'd say take it seriously even if you're young and think it's no big deal. And don't just assume you can catch it once and "move on." You can definitely catch it again and it's always mutating. Taking some basic precautions for yourself and others doesn't mean you're living in fear or being a sheeple.