Ballot for Reintroduction of Wolves

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.

Should wolves be reintroduced into the mountains in Colorado?

Yes
51%
No
41%
Undecided
8%

Total votes: 249
PJ88
14ers: 34 
13ers: 14
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Ballot for Reintroduction of Wolves

Post by PJ88 »

Yes
1,437,207 50.2%
No
1,428,405 49.8%

Updated: 21 minutes ago
87% reporting

This is reallllyyyy close.
nyker
14ers: 58 
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (69)

Post by nyker »

hmm, lot of close races today
montanahiker
14ers: 38 
13ers: 185
Trip Reports (0)

Post by montanahiker »

YES
50.1%

NO
49.9%

Updated: 3 minutes ago
87% reporting

I wonder which precincts make up the last 13%.
There's more to life than 14ers. There are 13ers.
two lunches
14ers: 37  2 
13ers: 59
Trip Reports (0)

Post by two lunches »

montanahiker wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 4:39 pm YES
50.1%

NO
49.9%

Updated: 3 minutes ago
87% reporting

I wonder which precincts make up the last 13%.
WOW. :shock: that is a close race.
“To walk in nature is to witness a thousand miracles.” – Mary Davis
LURE
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (0)

Post by LURE »

quite shocked. i thought it would be a relative blow out

automatic recount territory if things don't change much, no?
SurfNTurf
14ers: 58  28 
13ers: 127 7
Trip Reports (48)

Post by SurfNTurf »

I was expecting something in the realm of 65% for, similar to Prop 115. Definitely a shock. I've talked to a lot of "no" voters one-on-one the past few days to try to understand, and combined with the replies on this thread, unfortunately it does seem that the anti-wolf propaganda was very effective. I'm not a huge radio or cable guy, but anecdotally it felt like the anti-wolf ads (largely fueled by dark money donors from out of state) were far more prevalent than pro-wolf ads based on my limited exposure.

Several outdoorspeople I know voted against because they are afraid of encountering wolves in the wild, which is verifiably baseless. Wolves simply don't attack humans. Statistically, a cow is more likely to kill you on the trail. A cow. The other most common argument I've encountered is that "they're already here" and thus Prop 114 is a waste of money, which was pushed heavily by the anti-wolf campaign. It's also not true. The only verified pack, a small group that moved into northern Colorado only just this year, had three members shot and killed mere weeks before the election. That news of those killings wasn't covered nearly as much as when the pack was first verified, which led to a lot of unintended voter ignorance. Many people filled out their ballots assuming that pack still existed.

I read last night somewhere that an automatic recount is triggered if the final count ends up within a margin of 7-8,000 votes. The anti-wolf groups are already pushing for it, whether or not the final tally is within that range. Even if Prop 114 passed in a landslide, it was always destined to get tied up in litigation. Let the court battles begin.

Not to sound all Q-Anony here, but if you're confused by this issue or dead-set against it, I'd encourage you to read and research the topic a bit more on your own. Our understanding of wolves has changed a lot in the past 40-50 years. Many anti-wolf sentiments are rooted in stories and ideas that were proven false decades ago. Pro-wolf literature can get a little touchy-feely and anthropomorphic, but here are some good reading suggestions that at least attempt to cover the issue from multiple angles:

Of Wolves and Men by Barry Lopez (start here!)
American Wolf by Nate Blakeslee
The Rise of Wolf 8 by Rick McIntyre (verges on anthropomorphism, but it's written by a guy who's spent more hours watching wolves in the wild than anyone else alive)
“There are two kinds of climbers: those who climb because their heart sings when they’re in the mountains, and all the rest.” - Alex Lowe

"There have been joys too great to describe in words, and there have been griefs upon which I cannot dare to dwell; and with those in mind I say, 'Climb if you will, but remember that courage and strength are nought without prudence, and that a momentary negligence may destroy the happiness of a lifetime. Do nothing in haste, look well to each step, and from the beginning think what may be the end.'" - Edward Whymper
LURE
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (0)

Post by LURE »

SurfNTurf wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 10:52 am it felt like the anti-wolf ads (largely fueled by dark money donors from out of state) were far more prevalent than pro-wolf ads based on my limited exposure.
lol

as if the pro wolf ads are from in state

the proposition itself originated with a group in DC, like anything ever does anymore

the pro and anti arguments are absurd across the board for the most part, your bias is showing hard here. which all is irrelevant because election day is pushing two days ago
mtree
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mtree »

I voted against it for one simple reason. I don't think spending oogles of money is in the best interest of anyone... other than those employed by the wolf reintroduction effort.

The wolves are already in Colorado and their population will grow on their own. That's like spending money on groceries you already have.
- I didn't say it was your fault. I said I was blaming you.
montanahiker
14ers: 38 
13ers: 185
Trip Reports (0)

Post by montanahiker »

SurfNTurf wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 10:52 am I'm not a huge radio or cable guy, but anecdotally it felt like the anti-wolf ads (largely fueled by dark money donors from out of state) were far more prevalent than pro-wolf ads based on my limited exposure.
According to ballotpedia.org: "The campaign supporting the initiative had raised $2.28 million in contributions. Opponents of the initiative had raised $871,110." - https://ballotpedia.org/Colorado_Propos ... ive_(2020)

The top funders against were the Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation and the Colorado Farm Bureau.
The top funders for the supporters were Richard Pritzlaff (AZ), Tides Center (CA), Defenders of Wildlife, Tim Ferriss (TX).

The only ad I saw against reintroduction mentioned that CPW has regularly opposed reintroducing wolves. I don't know the story there but if we're supposed to follow the "experts" on everything it sounds like they think it's a bad idea. But hey, if you can get out of state people and organizations to convince voters on the Front Range that won't be impacted by the issue (compared to the local communities) to vote yes then I guess you win.
There's more to life than 14ers. There are 13ers.
Cygnus X1
14ers: 44  1 
13ers: 17
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Cygnus X1 »

montanahiker wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 11:48 am
SurfNTurf wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 10:52 am I'm not a huge radio or cable guy, but anecdotally it felt like the anti-wolf ads (largely fueled by dark money donors from out of state) were far more prevalent than pro-wolf ads based on my limited exposure.
According to ballotpedia.org: "The campaign supporting the initiative had raised $2.28 million in contributions. Opponents of the initiative had raised $871,110." - https://ballotpedia.org/Colorado_Propos ... ive_(2020)

The top funders against were the Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation and the Colorado Farm Bureau.
The top funders for the supporters were Richard Pritzlaff (AZ), Tides Center (CA), Defenders of Wildlife, Tim Ferriss (TX).

The only ad I saw against reintroduction mentioned that CPW has regularly opposed reintroducing wolves. I don't know the story there but if we're supposed to follow the "experts" on everything it sounds like they think it's a bad idea. But hey, if you can get out of state people and organizations to convince voters on the Front Range that won't be impacted by the issue (compared to the local communities) to vote yes then I guess you win.

Here's a link to some details of the voting. Only 13 of 64 counties were in favor. Biggest factors were Denver and Boulder Counties which came in with approximately 160,000 more votes for than against.

https://results.enr.clarityelections.co ... etail/1131
SurfNTurf
14ers: 58  28 
13ers: 127 7
Trip Reports (48)

Post by SurfNTurf »

In the interest of full transparency, my reference to dark-money donors was specifically about late-stage campaign donations. According to the RMWAF itself (a poor source, which I’m admitting), some of the October anti-wolf radio spots were the result of big anonymous donations that came in last minute, likely because they knew the vote would be so close. I don’t claim to not have bias here, but I do try to work with facts, keep my mind open to alternate viewpoints, and have respectful conversations free of emotional attacks.

In the grand scheme, yes, the pro-wolf campaign raised way more money than the anti-wolf campaign. Much of it was a grassroots effort based on small, individual contributions. The donations from the anti-wolf lobby, as mentioned on that Ballotpedia page, tended to come in lump sums from organizations.

I’ve said it a few other times in this thread already, but CPW being against it isn’t necessarily a reflection of the consensus of wildlife experts. The agriculture industry enjoys a heavy majority on the CPW state board, and CPW relies on hunters for a large amount of its revenue. Take that for what you will.

At the end of the day, it’s likely going to pass. A heavy citizen outreach and education effort is a necessary next step, and if our neighboring states to the north are any indication, the next few years are going to be very emotionally charged. Let’s try to treat each other with respect as much as possible.
Last edited by SurfNTurf on Thu Nov 05, 2020 12:27 pm, edited 4 times in total.
“There are two kinds of climbers: those who climb because their heart sings when they’re in the mountains, and all the rest.” - Alex Lowe

"There have been joys too great to describe in words, and there have been griefs upon which I cannot dare to dwell; and with those in mind I say, 'Climb if you will, but remember that courage and strength are nought without prudence, and that a momentary negligence may destroy the happiness of a lifetime. Do nothing in haste, look well to each step, and from the beginning think what may be the end.'" - Edward Whymper
Chimera
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Chimera »

mtree wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 11:47 am I voted against it for one simple reason. I don't think spending oogles of money is in the best interest of anyone... other than those employed by the wolf reintroduction effort.

The wolves are already in Colorado and their population will grow on their own. That's like spending money on groceries you already have.
Unfortunately this isn’t right. They don’t have a genetically viable population in Colorado. 1-3 wolves can’t create a population of genetically diverse, healthy wolves. And in Wyoming they can be shot on sight outside of National Park boundaries, so they are not crossing that stretch any time soon.
“He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man.”

― Dr. Johnson