Ben Brownlee Memorial Fund

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
denvermikey
14ers: 51 
13ers: 166
Trip Reports (12)

Post by denvermikey »

My wife and I were the last people to see Ben alive on the day he died while hiking in the San Juan Mountains. Although our encounter was brief, we could tell he was an outstanding young man and was truly enjoying was he was doing. After attending the memorial service and listening to his friends and family, our initial thoughts were not only confirmed but magnified. In his (too) short time on earth, he touched many lives and brightened many days.

The following was written by his family. Please read and consider this worthwhile cause:

Ben Brownlee loved hiking, his girlfriend Hannah, challenging himself to reach his goals, and exploring Colorado's majestic peaks (specifically the 13ers and 14ers). He died less than a month ago in the San Juan Mountains, Colorado doing what he loved.

In an effort to save other adventurous spirits who are called to the mountains, Ben's family has set up the Ben Brownlee Memorial Fund.

www.benbrownleememorialfund.com

This fund will assist the #HinsdaleCounty Search and Rescue efforts, which Ben's family is incredibly thankful for. Hinsdale County is remote and their SAR team is missing very important tools that can make the next search and rescue efforts safer for everyone!

Please click on the link to learn more about Ben, his Legacy, and details about how the Ben Brownlee Memorial Fund is planning to be used to help search and rescue efforts.

♥️🙏♥️🙏♥️🙏♥️

PLEASE donate if you can! Your contribution (NO MATTER THE AMOUNT) will save lives!

"The need is vast but contributions of any size are extremely valuable as $60 purchases an avalanche probe that could save someone’s life. High-altitude drones with FLIR capabilities are a reach item with a $200,000 retail price but would be able to quickly search rocky, steep terrain that would take hours on foot when every minute counts. We are working closely with Hinsdale County Search & Rescue leaders to identify & prioritize their needs. Some items could be shared with other SAR teams in the region."

♥️🙏♥️🙏♥️🙏♥️

#benbrownlee #13ers #14ers #colorado #searchandrescue #adventurousspirit #sanjuanmountains #missinghiker #donate #jesuitdallas #hikinglife #sar #savealife #Jesuit
XMA Header Image
benbrownleememorialfund.com
"Every man dies, not every man really lives" - William Wallace
"Because it's there" - George Mallory
"In the end it's not the years in your life that count, it's the life in your years" - Abraham Lincoln
"You only live once but if you do it right, once is enough" - Mae West
"Climb mountains not so the world can see you, but so you can see the world." - David McCullough Jr.
Trotter
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 220 2 8
Trip Reports (10)

Re: Ben Brownlee Memorial Fund

Post by Trotter »

I am all about funding and equipping the SAR people. Here is what I don't understand about the memorial fund. The part I underlined.

"Purpose of Memorial Fund

To properly equip and train the all-volunteer Hinsdale County Search & Rescue Team and needs of other first responders. Further, and to the extent available, to assist with funding the acquisition and improvements to the proposed Lake San Cristobal Peninsula Park. This Park would preserve a scenic, 10-acre parcel, currently planned for recreational use, as a permanent and accessible public open space on Lake San Cristobal near the area where Ben was hiking when he died. A small memorial is planned on this site"

So some? of the money will make a park and memorial at the lake near Lake City?
After climbing a great hill, one only finds that there are many more hills to climb. -Nelson Mandela
Whenever I climb I am followed by a dog called Ego. -Nietzsche
XterraRob
14ers: 42  7 
13ers: 14
Trip Reports (4)

Post by XterraRob »

Hmmm...
RIP - M56
Re-introduce Grizzly Bears into the Colorado Wilderness™
johnfbrownlee
Trip Reports (0)

Post by johnfbrownlee »

Long overdue thank you to Mike Tripp and a response to the legitimate concerns raised by others on the post.

My name is John Brownlee, Ben's Dad, and I don't frequent the 14'ers site but I'm in Lake City this week and logged in while remembering Ben.

Ben's Fund does support both Hinsdale County Search & Rescue and the new, 10 acre Peninsula Park on Lake San Cristobal in Hinsdale County.

To date, we've raised approximately $220,000 of which approximately $80,000 has gone to building out the equipment needs for High Angle, Swift Water & Avalanche Rescue and the on-going training needed for each effort. Further, providing badly needed communication devices and other miscellaneous equipment needed to meet the challenges of the remote Hinsdale County area. Three recent examples: At the request of the SAR Team, we funded a Rope Rescue Operator course in April, 2022 ($7,600); their first drone with high resolution camera & infrared capabilities was acquired last month ($4,800 to supplement a shortfall from another grant) and; a Wilderness First Responder course is scheduled this winter ($10,000).

Another $80,000 has gone towards the Park to assist with: the initial acquisition costs in December 2020; master planning costs; topographic survey which was needed to accurately lay out future trails now that it is open to the public; newly installed Restrooms and; safety enhancements to the iconic bridges that connect the Peninsula. We typically fund shortfalls from other grants in order to complete projects. There is a small memorial planned for Ben at the Park at a time TBD which our family will fund.
Preliminary details on that and the overall Park master plan is posted on the www.BenBrownleeMemorialFund.com website.

In short, the SAR contributions support saving lives now in a beautiful, out-of-the-way corner of the State with a small population and a correspondingly small tax base to fund SAR. The Park is for the living - today and for future generations to come.

Note that you are able to designate your contribution towards SAR or the Park to ensure that it goes to the intended place.

To ensure that we provided a reputable platform for this endeavor, Ben's Fund is administered by the Lake Fork Community Foundation (www.lakeforkcf.org) , a registered 501(c)(3) established in 1994 and based in Lake City with a Board of Directors of local community leaders. All funds raised are given directly to the Lake Fork Community Foundation and distributed (through a grant request process) less a 1% administrative fee to the Foundation for the accounting and IRS reporting services they provide.

I hope that this response addresses any concerns. Our intent is to honor Ben's memory in a way that supports the people of a place he loved so much. I don't have the fundraising amounts up to date on his website but there is additional information that may be of interest if you'd like to support this on-going effort. Thank you.
www.BenBrownleeMemorialFund.com
719BR
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (0)

Post by 719BR »

deleted for inflammatory comment
Last edited by 719BR on Thu Jul 14, 2022 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MKwhite45
14ers: 35 
13ers: 31
Trip Reports (0)

Post by MKwhite45 »

brichardsson wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 11:38 am Hard pass. Using someone's death to raise money for a pet project is kinda...tacky
I don't think it's a pet project sending the money to SAR and building a park. Also, you see that a family member is here maybe have a little bit of empathy in the fact they are trying to do something to remember their child and also help SAR which they help everyone with no compensation.
HikerGuy
14ers: 58 
13ers: 426 8
Trip Reports (9)

Post by HikerGuy »

brichardsson wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 11:38 am Hard pass. Using someone's death to raise money for a pet project is kinda...tacky
No. It is not tacky, but your comment sure as hell is. The man lost his son and is trying to do something nice for the community and local SAR team.
Dan_Suitor
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 90
Trip Reports (3)

Post by Dan_Suitor »

John. So sorry to hear about your son. I hope that you and your family are coping well.

I just donated. It allows you to donate to “Search and Rescue” or “Lake San Cristobal Peninsula Park” or “Discretionary” (It defaults to SAR). I appreciate the transparency.
Century Bound, eventually.
denvermikey
14ers: 51 
13ers: 166
Trip Reports (12)

Post by denvermikey »

Are you this much of a tool in person or just online? If you don't agree with it fine. No need to post that.
"Every man dies, not every man really lives" - William Wallace
"Because it's there" - George Mallory
"In the end it's not the years in your life that count, it's the life in your years" - Abraham Lincoln
"You only live once but if you do it right, once is enough" - Mae West
"Climb mountains not so the world can see you, but so you can see the world." - David McCullough Jr.
docinco
14ers: 50 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by docinco »

judging a grieving father is tackier. having a shitty day?
Last edited by docinco on Fri Jul 15, 2022 9:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
daway8
14ers: 58  24 
13ers: 155 29
Trip Reports (70)

Post by daway8 »

Mr Brownlee, I'm so glad you decided to honor the memory of your son in this way - I stopped by the park when I was in the area last year and it's an absolutely amazing spot! Plus providing funding for SAR so that future tragedies can perhaps be avoided is a wonderful thing.

Pay no attention to the disrespectful comments here - what you've done on behalf of your son is a wonderful thing.
dan0rama
14ers: 26  5 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (0)

Post by dan0rama »

this is a low point for you