Tell me about the Deep Creek region - Dotsero'ish

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
jibler
14ers: 13 
13ers: 35
Trip Reports (18)

Tell me about the Deep Creek region - Dotsero'ish

Post by jibler »

Thinking about an off season scouting trip up that way.

looks like some possible chill terrain? flattops junior. with potential good views back down on elks??

will that Coffee Pot Road stay open this month?
Keep looking up - Jack Horkheimer
SkiFree
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Tell me about the Deep Creek region - Dotsero'ish

Post by SkiFree »

Some of the best caving in the state is off of coffe pot road.

Typically the coffe pot road would start to close this time of year due to snow but with our dry start to winter you could get lucky. If you do camp up there, make sure to check the weather before you go so you don't get snowed in
Chicago Transplant
14ers: 58  12  24 
13ers: 697 39 34
Trip Reports (66)

Post by Chicago Transplant »

There are probably some hunters that have driven up there, but the road is not plowed at all so 4WD and maybe clearance for any deeper drifts would be a good idea. The road gets above 10k. Also note that some of the areas to the south of it are closed still from the Grizzly Creek Fire, map in this link: https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DO ... 811257.pdf
"We want the unpopular challenge. We want to test our intellect!" - Snapcase
"You are not what you own" - Fugazi
"Life's a mountain not a beach" - Fortune Cookie I got at lunch the other day
jibler
Trip Reports (18)

Post by jibler »

Chicago Transplant wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 11:28 am closed still from the Grizzly Creek Fire,
yes i forgot about grizzly creek. that's right up in this area.

might complicate everything
SkiFree
Trip Reports (0)

Post by SkiFree »

I dont think the fire closures would effect you as much as the road conditions....personally I don't think there are any worthwhile campsite until you get ontop of the plateau and that is located after the deep creek overlook which will keep you away from the fire line. For the most part the fire stayed south of the coffepot road and the further you down the road the more distancesbetween you and the fireline.
handonbroward
14ers: 42 
13ers: 46
Trip Reports (5)

Post by handonbroward »

SkiFree wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 11:23 am Some of the best caving in the state is off of coffe pot road.

Tell me (or point me to) more about this...
"I hurt, therefore I am" - Barry Blanchard
SkiFree
Trip Reports (0)

Post by SkiFree »

groaning, fixin-to-die and premontion are three that are popular.

There is a grotto club in Glenwood Springs and they would be your best resource if you wanted help exploring the caves in the area. Especially for groaning cave(longest cave in CO) since they have the keys to the gated entrance.
Furthermore
14ers: 58  58 
13ers: 643
Trip Reports (219)

Post by Furthermore »

I would highly recommend getting in touch with one of the local grottos if you're interested in caves or caving.

https://www.coloradogrotto.org/
https://frontrangegrotto.org/

For more resources regarding caving, I would also recommend joining the National Speleological Society or using them for a reference for information.

https://caves.org/

Unlike Colorado 14ers, caves/caving requires specialized gear and skill sets.

It should also be noted that Fixin-to-Die and Premonition are both very dangerous caves and are NOT recommended for new cavers. Groaning is more forgiving. Moreover, Premonition has a year-round closure and Fixin-to-Die is closed from mid-August to mid-April (usually isn't even accessible by mid-May). Also, these caves require permits.

Bottom line, contact a grotto for more information.
handonbroward
14ers: 42 
13ers: 46
Trip Reports (5)

Post by handonbroward »

Thanks for the info! Much appreciated.

I have done some caving back east in ADK, so I am aware of the dangers and won't go get myself stuck in a cave solo like an idiot...
"I hurt, therefore I am" - Barry Blanchard
jibler
Trip Reports (18)

Post by jibler »

seems like most of those caves are on the 'other' side of Deep Creek right?

I was a little surprised to see Deep Creek Caves Geologic Area on the map