Missing Zion hiker found after 2 weeks

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
timisimaginary
14ers: 3 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (2)

Re: Missing Zion hiker found after 2 weeks

Post by timisimaginary »

i think the more important question here is: did she or did she not find Forrest Fenn's hidden treasure chest?
"The decay and disintegration of this culture is astonishingly amusing if you're emotionally detached from it." - George Carlin
druid2112
14ers: 46  6 
13ers: 32 5
Trip Reports (7)

Post by druid2112 »

I mean.... it's just too funny. (I do hope that she gets some mental help). I mean, the sharpie, the perfect hash marks on the tree, that will definitely make the movie. Maybe shoulda researched that whole 12 days w/o water thing in the research phase tho. Just too funny, or not, since a lot of sparse resources were wasted.
"You can't really dust for vomit." - Nigel Tufnel
onebyone
14ers: 58  1 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by onebyone »

greenonion wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 10:52 pm My god let this rest
You just bumped the thread.
Candace66
14ers: 42  1 
13ers: 207 3
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Candace66 »

I'm looking forward to seeing this NPS report...

"Zion National Park is currently finishing up an investigative report on Courtier's case and officials say they plan to release it to the public as soon as it is complete.

Details of the case, including how much taxpayer money the search cost, how many staff and volunteers searched for her, her discovery and other conclusions will be included in the report."

https://www.thespectrum.com/story/news/ ... 733041001/
timisimaginary
14ers: 3 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (2)

Post by timisimaginary »

Candace66 wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 10:31 pm I'm looking forward to seeing this NPS report...

"Zion National Park is currently finishing up an investigative report on Courtier's case and officials say they plan to release it to the public as soon as it is complete.

Details of the case, including how much taxpayer money the search cost, how many staff and volunteers searched for her, her discovery and other conclusions will be included in the report."

https://www.thespectrum.com/story/news/ ... 733041001/
hopefully this will clear up whether she was hiking in high heels or not.
"The decay and disintegration of this culture is astonishingly amusing if you're emotionally detached from it." - George Carlin
timstich
14ers: 11 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by timstich »

The concussion story element is always added to explain bizarre behavior or discrepancies in what the lost person does. Remember the AWOL guy Lance "lost" in Eldorado Canyon in Boulder some years ago? I was there when his friend reported him lost. He had fallen and "hit his head" right off the trail, which explained why he was wandering off into the woods. Of course he was actually getting on a bus to another state later that day.
onebyone
14ers: 58  1 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by onebyone »

timstich wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 9:57 am The concussion story element is always added to explain bizarre behavior or discrepancies in what the lost person does. Remember the AWOL guy Lance "lost" in Eldorado Canyon in Boulder some years ago? I was there when his friend reported him lost. He had fallen and "hit his head" right off the trail, which explained why he was wandering off into the woods. Of course he was actually getting on a bus to another state later that day.
The family is now starting to throw out the mental illness angle. She's now "getting the mental health help she needs" and "she has struggled with mental health issues."

This is likely what is going on here. Even if there is a "selling story" angle involved. The family is saying that the media has really blown this story up. But, in all reality, it was the family who claimed she survived because she was near a water source, she hit her head, she couldn't walk two steps without falling down, and so on. None of which was true.

There are a lot of crazy people out there and it's hard to be mad at someone who is not in their right mind. She prob went off her meds, was on her own away from family and friend support, and it just went downhill from there. Glad she's getting help and hopefully can back on her feet soon (pun unintended).
NathanRL
14ers: 31  3  1 
13ers: 19
Trip Reports (0)

Post by NathanRL »

timstich wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 9:57 am The concussion story element is always added to explain bizarre behavior or discrepancies in what the lost person does. Remember the AWOL guy Lance "lost" in Eldorado Canyon in Boulder some years ago? I was there when his friend reported him lost. He had fallen and "hit his head" right off the trail, which explained why he was wandering off into the woods. Of course he was actually getting on a bus to another state later that day.
Wow, I had forgotten about that. His parents were friends of friends and I helped search, which mostly consisted of wandering around hiking trails screaming his name. That was so bizarre, to learn it was all a cover story.
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

"Lost" hiker being investigated for fraud:

https://www.sltrib.com/news/2020/10/30/ ... stigating/
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
Candace66
14ers: 42  1 
13ers: 207 3
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Candace66 »

Update from January 31.

So, the Sheriff's Dept. determined no crime was committed. Still no clarity as to whether she actually was lost in the woods for ~12 days. (Hint: I doubt it!)
Last week, Washington County Sheriff’s officials said that investigators were unable to find any evidence of fraud or any other criminal activity associated with the disappearance and subsequent rescue.

Meanwhile, Zion National Park authorities were also looking into the details surrounding the incident and will be releasing their final report on the case to the public as soon as they possibly can.
https://ktla.com/news/local-news/no-evi ... thorities/
OldTrad
14ers: 36 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (4)

Post by OldTrad »

Candace66 wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 2:09 pm Update from January 31.

So, the Sheriff's Dept. determined no crime was committed. Still no clarity as to whether she actually was lost in the woods for ~12 days. (Hint: I doubt it!)
Last week, Washington County Sheriff’s officials said that investigators were unable to find any evidence of fraud or any other criminal activity associated with the disappearance and subsequent rescue.

Meanwhile, Zion National Park authorities were also looking into the details surrounding the incident and will be releasing their final report on the case to the public as soon as they possibly can.
https://ktla.com/news/local-news/no-evi ... thorities/
Moral of this (and another very recent) story: crowdfunding is for everyone, for fun and profit!