Missing Zion hiker found after 2 weeks

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
mtree
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Missing Zion hiker found after 2 weeks

Post by mtree »

Mtnman200 wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 1:18 pm
Ptglhs wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 1:05 pm
mountainrev wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 12:43 pm Her sister has spoken out to "try to clear up discrepancies." She now says that she didn't drink anything at all during the entire 12+ days, and that she was able to walk out under her own power because of an adrenaline rush. Keep digging!

https://www.foxnews.com/us/zion-hiker-h ... ies-rescue
2 weeks without water? Yeah... I'm calling BS on that one.
Exactly. Three days is about as long as someone can survive without water.
C'mon! Under ideal conditions a person could survive a week, maybe more, without water. So figuring she was holed up in a hotel room with AC, shades closed, and no booze or salty snacks, she had a decent chance of surviving 12 days without water.

Too many critics and naysayers on this site. Geesh.
- I didn't say it was your fault. I said I was blaming you.
bergsteigen
14ers: 58  52  18 
13ers: 538 100 12
Trip Reports (237)

Post by bergsteigen »

mtree wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 3:15 pm

C'mon! Under ideal conditions a person could survive a week, maybe more, without water. So figuring she was holed up in a hotel room with AC, shades closed, and no booze or salty snacks, she had a decent chance of surviving 12 days without water.

Are you taking into account the 127 hours, drink your own pee scenario?
"Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games." - Ernest Hemingway (or was it Barnaby Conrad?)
Your knees only get so many bumps in life, don't waste them on moguls!
“No athlete is truly tested until they’ve stared an injury in the face and come out on the other side stronger than ever” -anonymous

http://otinasadventures.com @otina
mtree
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mtree »

bergsteigen wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 3:33 pm
mtree wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 3:15 pm

Are you taking into account the 127 hours, drink your own pee scenario?
Dang! I didn't consider that.
- I didn't say it was your fault. I said I was blaming you.
Trotter
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 220 2 8
Trip Reports (10)

Post by Trotter »

The family is really digging hard to explain the discrepancies. They obviously are trying to get out of paying for rescue and/or paying back the Gofundme and/or waiting for the 127 hours movie deal.

So shes so weak she can't open her mouth to talk to a hiker who found her, but then can walk out of the park unassisted because of adrenaline.

She makes accurate marks on a tree for every day, but is so concussed she can't hike a couple hundred yards to a trail.

And she survived because she drank the water at the river. Oh wait, the sheriff just announced that water would kill her? Then she didn't drink water. For 12 days. :^o
After climbing a great hill, one only finds that there are many more hills to climb. -Nelson Mandela
Whenever I climb I am followed by a dog called Ego. -Nietzsche
pvnisher
Trip Reports (8)

Post by pvnisher »

The first rule of Crime Club is don't talk about Crime Club.
This goes for people planning disappearances as well as the numbnuts who post videos of their crimes on instagram.

Although maybe it's good that they do. Makes the sleuthing easier.

I remember talking to a law enforcement officer I was training with years back and he said that most criminals aren't criminal masterminds. That most people probably don't want to be criminals but given (circumstance, opportunity, inclination) it happens.

Very few crimes are unsolvable. It's just a lack of investigative resources and prosecutor discretion.
Candace66
14ers: 42  1 
13ers: 207 3
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Candace66 »

mountainrev wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 12:43 pm Her sister has spoken out to "try to clear up discrepancies." She now says that she didn't drink anything at all during the entire 12+ days, and that she was able to walk out under her own power because of an adrenaline rush. Keep digging!

https://www.foxnews.com/us/zion-hiker-h ... ies-rescue
Survival time can vary depending on ambient conditions and other factors. But I'm comfortable saying 12 days without any fluid intake is not possible. That claim should be enough to tell anyone this story is BS.
EZsummits
14ers: 58 
13ers: 23
Trip Reports (0)

Post by EZsummits »

I was hoping for an unlikely but maybe plausible story like "I've been doing Wim Hof breathing and ice baths for a year and that training helped me to slow my body's metabolism and water loss so I could survive for so long without water." :-D

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wim_Hof
DArcyS
13ers: 544
Trip Reports (3)

Post by DArcyS »

This is bringing back memories of a fellow who went for a winter hike up Mt. Bierstadt from Guanella Pass in conditions with low visibility and a impending storm, descended the wrong ridge to end up in the basin to the east of the Bierstadt, and spent at least two wintry nights in the backcountry. In the news it was reported that he didn't tell people where he was going, but it also came out that after the weather broke he could see where he was. Eventually a rescue helicopter spotted him and extracted him from the backcountry. The local news stations showed him getting off the helicopter wearing a down suit and he waived with a smile to the cameras. He also offered advice in a news conference that if you're lost, stay put and let the rescuers come and find you. Got all that? This was a short time after the Ralston affair, and when I "added it all up," it seemed like this guy was staging his own "getting lost" plan. You don't tell people where you're going, but your advice is to remain stationary until rescuers find you? Sure, makes sense. And you're not willing to reclimb the peak under sunny skies that you were willing to climb under threatening weather conditions?

When people get lost, I always question whether a motive exists to gain a little Ralston-esque fame. Doubt if I'm alone.
douglas
14ers: 53 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (2)

Post by douglas »

Another thing (amongst all other parts of this story) that doesn’t make sense is the “concussion”. To get a concussion by hitting your head on a tree you would have to be going really fast and hit your head on the trunk or an immovable branch. Unless she was sprinting and ran headfirst into the tree trunk I’m pretty sure she wouldn’t get a severe head injury, especially by walking and bonking her head on a branch. Unless of course she took a tumble down a hill, smashed her head into a tree, and doesn’t remember anything. Yeah, that’s most likely what happened.
crestone14ers
Trip Reports (0)

Post by crestone14ers »

DArcyS wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 3:01 pm This is bringing back memories of a fellow who went for a winter hike up Mt. Bierstadt from Guanella Pass in conditions with low visibility and a impending storm, descended the wrong ridge to end up in the basin to the east of the Bierstadt, and spent at least two wintry nights in the backcountry. In the news it was reported that he didn't tell people where he was going, but it also came out that after the weather broke he could see where he was. Eventually a rescue helicopter spotted him and extracted him from the backcountry. The local news stations showed him getting off the helicopter wearing a down suit and he waived with a smile to the cameras. He also offered advice in a news conference that if you're lost, stay put and let the rescuers come and find you. Got all that? This was a short time after the Ralston affair, and when I "added it all up," it seemed like this guy was staging his own "getting lost" plan. You don't tell people where you're going, but your advice is to remain stationary until rescuers find you? Sure, makes sense. And you're not willing to reclimb the peak under sunny skies that you were willing to climb under threatening weather conditions?

When people get lost, I always question whether a motive exists to gain a little Ralston-esque fame. Doubt if I'm alone.
DArcy... sorry to tell you... I know the guy in question, former CMC instructor, accomplished on the peaks, Denali. he and I hiked and climbed a lot together. He simply screwed up, he admitted it, his glasses froze over, left his goggles home, lost his bearings, went down the wrong side, had gear to survive, hunkered down, the weather was downright total winter-on. Yes, he was embarrassed, but he survived. He wasn't looking to be the next Ralston, far from it. Has three kids and a wife who he wanted to come home to. Down suit? No. He had gear for Denali and a bag for survival. That's how his pack was usually for solo winter climbs. His intelligence is like yours... left brain prepared. He simply screwed up, nothing more.
DArcyS
13ers: 544
Trip Reports (3)

Post by DArcyS »

crestone14ers wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 4:31 pm
DArcyS wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 3:01 pm This is bringing back memories of a fellow who went for a winter hike up Mt. Bierstadt from Guanella Pass in conditions with low visibility and a impending storm, descended the wrong ridge to end up in the basin to the east of the Bierstadt, and spent at least two wintry nights in the backcountry. In the news it was reported that he didn't tell people where he was going, but it also came out that after the weather broke he could see where he was. Eventually a rescue helicopter spotted him and extracted him from the backcountry. The local news stations showed him getting off the helicopter wearing a down suit and he waived with a smile to the cameras. He also offered advice in a news conference that if you're lost, stay put and let the rescuers come and find you. Got all that? This was a short time after the Ralston affair, and when I "added it all up," it seemed like this guy was staging his own "getting lost" plan. You don't tell people where you're going, but your advice is to remain stationary until rescuers find you? Sure, makes sense. And you're not willing to reclimb the peak under sunny skies that you were willing to climb under threatening weather conditions?

DArcy... sorry to tell you... I know the guy in question, former CMC instructor, accomplished on the peaks, Denali. he and I hiked and climbed a lot together. He simply screwed up, he admitted it, his glasses froze over, left his goggles home, lost his bearings, went down the wrong side, had gear to survive, hunkered down, the weather was downright total winter-on. Yes, he was embarrassed, but he survived. He wasn't looking to be the next Ralston, far from it. Has three kids and a wife who he wanted to come home to. Down suit? No. He had gear for Denali and a bag for survival. That's how his pack was usually for solo winter climbs. His intelligence is like yours... left brain prepared. He simply screwed up, nothing more.
How much time has passed? Around 20 years? So, perhaps my recollection is at fault, but this event stuck in my mind because of the circumstances. Yes, we can be forgiving and give this fellow the benefit of the doubt. Nothing wrong with that, it's being a good friend. But neither you nor I can read this fellow's mind, so we will never know what his true intentions were. All that can be said with a fair degree of certainty is that there's a probability that he intentionally got lost for a planned bivouac to test his skills and equipment, and it is not 0. In your eyes, it's darn close to 0, but it's not zero. Think Madoff, for example ... you never know.
greenonion
14ers: 50  1 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by greenonion »

My god let this rest