Missing Zion hiker found after 2 weeks

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
mtree
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Missing Zion hiker found after 2 weeks

Post by mtree »

onebyone wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 9:32 pm
Wandering off the AT and getting lost in the bushes along the Virgin River with cars driving by is just a bit different. Just a bit.
Find your own wilderness.
- I didn't say it was your fault. I said I was blaming you.
Buckie06
14ers: 56  3  4 
13ers: 18 1 3
Trip Reports (2)

Post by Buckie06 »

I cannot vouch for the accuracy of this, but it's starting to become apparent what the motive was......

"Meanwhile, over on Reddit, some people who know her are weighing in:

Holly posted a few months back about her idea to get ‘lost’ then score a movie deal out of it, there was a back and forth planning it with her daughter on Facebook. This was deleted prior to her going to Zion.

There have been so many posts on Facebook, Instagram, Reddit, etc of locals who reported seeing her in town and at the grocery store.”
mtree
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mtree »

Buckie06 wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 7:18 am I cannot vouch for the accuracy of this, but it's starting to become apparent what the motive was......

"Meanwhile, over on Reddit, some people who know her are weighing in:

Holly posted a few months back about her idea to get ‘lost’ then score a movie deal out of it, there was a back and forth planning it with her daughter on Facebook. This was deleted prior to her going to Zion.

There have been so many posts on Facebook, Instagram, Reddit, etc of locals who reported seeing her in town and at the grocery store.”
Hahahaha! I LOVE it when a plan comes together!
- I didn't say it was your fault. I said I was blaming you.
Hiker Mike
14ers: 30 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Hiker Mike »

"Just because you love the mountains doesn't mean the mountains love you."
-Lou Whittaker
mountainrev
14ers: 20 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mountainrev »

Her sister has spoken out to "try to clear up discrepancies." She now says that she didn't drink anything at all during the entire 12+ days, and that she was able to walk out under her own power because of an adrenaline rush. Keep digging!

https://www.foxnews.com/us/zion-hiker-h ... ies-rescue
justiner
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138
Trip Reports (40)

Post by justiner »

This is becoming a better movie plot than what she originally intended. I think the title should be, "Scenarios in which you pay for your own SAR"

But if all the accusations of her pre-plotting to get lost turn out to be true, that she also is able to receive counseling of some sort.
Ptglhs
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 86 3
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Ptglhs »

mountainrev wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 12:43 pm Her sister has spoken out to "try to clear up discrepancies." She now says that she didn't drink anything at all during the entire 12+ days, and that she was able to walk out under her own power because of an adrenaline rush. Keep digging!

2 weeks without water? Yeah... I'm calling BS on that one.
onebyone
14ers: 58  1 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by onebyone »

mountainrev wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 12:43 pm Her sister has spoken out to "try to clear up discrepancies." She now says that she didn't drink anything at all during the entire 12+ days, and that she was able to walk out under her own power because of an adrenaline rush. Keep digging!

When so called “experienced” hikers can’t even make up a story that would make sense to experienced hikers ha ha
mountainrev
14ers: 20 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mountainrev »

Here's a link to an article on the Today Show, where the sister gave the interview: https://www.today.com/news/sister-missi ... al-t195709

Note the picture of the tree branch and the rows of hash marks made with a Sharpie where she kept track of the days. She did an excellent job of keeping her rows neat and even, despite not having anything to drink for two weeks and suffering from a concussion. I'm impressed.
Mtnman200
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 440
Trip Reports (85)

Post by Mtnman200 »

Ptglhs wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 1:05 pm

2 weeks without water? Yeah... I'm calling BS on that one.
Exactly. Three days is about as long as someone can survive without water.
"Adventure without risk is not possible." - Reinhold Messner
cottonmountaineering
14ers: 58  7  18 
13ers: 180 39 31
Trip Reports (1)

Post by cottonmountaineering »

hope the hiker gets the mental help she needs
painless4u2
14ers: 58 
Trip Reports (8)

Post by painless4u2 »

cottonmountaineering wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 1:34 pm hope the hiker gets the mental help she needs
She checked herself in to a mental facility.
mountainrev wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 1:13 pm Note the picture of the tree branch and the rows of hash marks made with a Sharpie where she kept track of the days. She did an excellent job of keeping her rows neat and even, despite not having anything to drink for two weeks and suffering from a concussion. I'm impressed.
I always carry a Sharpie as one of my 10 essentials. Doesn't everyone? Sounds a bit too planned.
Bad decisions often make good stories.

IPAs + Ambien = "14ers" post (Bill M.)

In their hearts humans plan their course, but the Lord establishes their steps. Proverbs 16:9