He's Ba-ack!

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
cedica
Trip Reports (0)

Re: He's Ba-ack!

Post by cedica »

^^^ Yes I know that account exists. Or am I missing your point, sir? Why would that be TG?
HikesInGeologicTime
14ers: 58  8  18 
13ers: 60 2 11
Trip Reports (38)

Post by HikesInGeologicTime »

I’ve participated in online spaces before where amateur internet diagnoses weren’t allowed. That’s not a rule here, but it seems like a good policy to follow just the same.

At any rate, TG is a real person, and I do consider him a friend, idiosyncrasies and all.
"I'm not selling drugs, dude. Drugs sell themselves. I'm selling stoke!"
- Guy at the table next to mine at Alta's Slopeside Cafe, in what I can't help but selfishly hope were (will be?) his verbatim words to the arresting officer(s)
OldTrad
14ers: 36 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (4)

Post by OldTrad »

cedica wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 12:59 pm ^^^ Yes I know that account exists. Or am I missing your point, sir? Why would that be TG?
Take a look at my post from early this AM. I’m not the only one who independently came to that conclusion either.
cedica
Trip Reports (0)

Post by cedica »

HikesInGeologicTime wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 1:00 pm I’ve participated in online spaces before where amateur internet diagnoses weren’t allowed. That’s not a rule here, but it seems like a good policy to follow just the same.
Totally.
banksy.jpg
banksy.jpg (61.56 KiB) Viewed 2972 times
OldTrad wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 1:06 pm Take a look at my post from early this AM. I’m not the only one who independently came to that conclusion either.
I've seen your post this morning, but I still disagree.
OldTrad
14ers: 36 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (4)

Post by OldTrad »

cedica wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 1:15 pm I've seen your post this morning, but I still disagree.
Fair enough.
SurfNTurf
14ers: 58  28 
13ers: 127 7
Trip Reports (48)

Post by SurfNTurf »

TallGrass is a good dude. I've enjoyed the 2-3 times we've interacted in person, even as recently as this past May when we rubbed shoulders on Ice Mountain. He's full of passion and energy and doesn't seem to have an "off" switch, which understandably can rub some people the wrong way, especially on an anonymous internet forum. But he's a real person, who's probably reading this thread. Some of y'all ought to think about that a little deeper.

I do think PlayGneiss is him, though. The writing style, opinions, and never-ending debates match perfectly. Earlier in the pandemic I had to decide between disengaging or writing a master's thesis to respond to his last PM. I asked him about it on Ice, and he played coy, so I guess take my speculation for what it is.

Hope you meet you on a mountain again soon, TG.
“There are two kinds of climbers: those who climb because their heart sings when they’re in the mountains, and all the rest.” - Alex Lowe

"There have been joys too great to describe in words, and there have been griefs upon which I cannot dare to dwell; and with those in mind I say, 'Climb if you will, but remember that courage and strength are nought without prudence, and that a momentary negligence may destroy the happiness of a lifetime. Do nothing in haste, look well to each step, and from the beginning think what may be the end.'" - Edward Whymper
sigepnader
14ers: 22 
13ers: 52 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by sigepnader »

“TallGrass is a good dude. I've enjoyed the 2-3 times we've interacted in person, even as recently as this past May when we rubbed shoulders on Ice Mountain. He's full of passion and energy and doesn't seem to have an "off" switch, which understandably can rub some people the wrong way, especially on an anonymous internet forum. But he's a real person, who's probably reading this thread. Some of y'all ought to think about that a little deeper.”

Nicely said.

Some of y’all need to look in a mirror and take a good, hard look at yourselves.
rijaca
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 244 1 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by rijaca »

You lose some of your anonymity when post on bulletin board with a very limited subject. This especially true when you post TRs. The 'active' climbing community is relatively small, and the longer you're involved the greater the chances you'll run into others from here.

I don't doubt that TG may be a different person from his online presence. But I haven't met him, so my opinion of him hasn't changed.
"A couple more shots of whiskey,
the women 'round here start looking good"
spoony
14ers: 21  14  3 
13ers: 5 4
Trip Reports (0)

Post by spoony »

Cannot say whether PlayGneiss is or is not Tall Grass, but I can confirm that PlayGneiss loves to debate in the PMs.

Despite being completely, 100% dead-ass wrong about the topic, I will say that he/she was courteous (and persistent) even when I was snarky and curt.
disentangled
Trip Reports (0)

Post by disentangled »

spoony wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 2:24 pm Cannot say whether PlayGneiss is or is not Tall Grass, but I can confirm that PlayGneiss loves to debate in the PMs.

Despite being completely, 100% dead-ass wrong about the topic, I will say that he/she was courteous (and persistent) even when I was snarky and curt.
i received a PM from PlayGneiss once. my reply elicited no further response or persistence. it appears to be my special talent.
HikesInGeologicTime
14ers: 58  8  18 
13ers: 60 2 11
Trip Reports (38)

Post by HikesInGeologicTime »

SurfNTurf wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 1:42 pm He's full of passion and energy and doesn't seem to have an "off" switch, which understandably can rub some people the wrong way, especially on an anonymous internet forum.
It evidently does not come across as well online as it does IRL, but that doggedness is (I think) great to have in a hiking partner - if you're committed to the summit, then barring any vicious acts of nature (the whiteout he and I ran into on Yale last December comes to mind), he'll get you up to it. It also makes him the person you want around if conditions start unraveling; he'll keep pushing until he's figured out how to get them re-raveled.
SurfNTurf wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 1:42 pm But he's a real person, who's probably reading this thread. Some of y'all ought to think about that a little deeper.
He is (or at least was) reading this thread, and well stated.
"I'm not selling drugs, dude. Drugs sell themselves. I'm selling stoke!"
- Guy at the table next to mine at Alta's Slopeside Cafe, in what I can't help but selfishly hope were (will be?) his verbatim words to the arresting officer(s)
dubsho3000
14ers: 58  8  2 
13ers: 110 14
Trip Reports (6)

Post by dubsho3000 »

I thought covfrrider was the ultimate 14ers troll. but my memory is fading... anyone remember that character? It is possible that I've conflated covfrrider with someone else. My apologies if that is the case.

Said differently - enough of this TallGrass guy. Sounds like a real person with real strengths and weaknesses and that is just not very fun to think about.