Ballot for Reintroduction of Wolves

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.

Should wolves be reintroduced into the mountains in Colorado?

Yes
51%
No
41%
Undecided
8%

Total votes: 249
highpilgrim
14ers: 58 
13ers: 84 1
Trip Reports (1)

Re: Ballot for Reintroduction of Wolves

Post by highpilgrim »

Conor wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 9:45 am Except the mosquito...let's get rid of the mosquito.
The bats will be disappointed.
Call on God, but row away from the rocks.
Hunter S Thompson

Walk away from the droning and leave the hive behind.
Dick Derkase
cottonmountaineering
14ers: 58  7  18 
13ers: 180 39 31
Trip Reports (1)

Post by cottonmountaineering »

Boggy B wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 8:52 am
cottonmountaineering wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 8:25 am i dont think many of us agree about the way government agencies allocate funds, im just saying this is a drop in the bucket from a budget standpoint. it's my view (as a hunter) that introducing wolves will indeed reduce the amount of big game, but it's probably necessary to reduce the amount of disease in big game populations/prevent overgrazing and will benefit us in the long run. Without predators elk will also just stagnate on land that they feel safe on https://www.bouldercounty.org/open-spac ... -elk-herd/
Fair enough, but it's the long run that concerns me most. Reason suggests that these creatures will not behave the same in Colorado as they do in the environment from which they'll be transplanted. Notable among many obvious differences is the fact that we don't have big, aggressive bears with which they're are accustomed to contending for prey. How will the lack of other big predators, less diverse prey resources, and proximity to humans change their behavior? Our bears have grown soft from many years of free meals campside. How will the sudden presence of such a predator affect their temperament (if not their population)?

We have the opportunity to vote against playing God in yet another way that is likely to bite us in the ass (no pun) down the road. Unfortunately since most of our voters prefer to look at the mountains from afar, this measure will pass. I just hope these fears are unfounded, or that implementation is a short-lived disaster, so that we don't pass the burden of yet another great stupidity on to future generations.
There's no certain answer to these questions as its quite complex, however data suggests that wolves (in the long run) do not negatively affect big game populations after re-introduction
https://extension.colostate.edu/topic-a ... ing-8-001/

as well, bears/coyotes/lions/wolves hunt in different ways, lions will often kill perfectly healthy animals as they are an ambush predator, bears often kill calves/fawns, wolves will often kill weak/dying animals, coyotes are rarely successful, often rely on deep snow. In my view we are missing the apex predator that controls disease (wolves)
cottonmountaineering
Trip Reports (1)

Barnold41 wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 9:26 am
Boggy B wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:15 pm Maybe we should focus our energy and money on less fanciful conservation efforts like, as was mentioned many pages ago, putting an end to domestic sheep grazing in sensitive ecosystems and saving the bighorns before we extinct them and have to introduce another 'roided-up close-but-not-really species to replace them.
A friend and I were surprised to encounter 4 domestic sheep grazing in the bowl below Uneva's NW ridge a little over a month ago. I had to ask him if I was hallucinating, and he confirmed that I was not. No clue where they came from or how they got there, but they were definitely there. It was wild.

Back to the topic at hand, I voted no mostly because of many reasons listed above. We don't know the implications of introducing a large predator back into an area where they really don't have much competition... not to mention they would decimate local livestock and the state would be up to their necks in trying to reallocate funds to ranchers, etc.
Wolf reintroduction has already happened in multiple states, currently there is less than 1% predation rate of livestock in mountain states
https://extension.colostate.edu/topic-a ... ock-8-010/

As an apex predator, wolves by definition they dont have much competition
disentangled
Trip Reports (0)

Post by disentangled »

rijaca wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 8:54 am
cottonmountaineering wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 8:25 am
if it were me mountain goats would be exterminated from colorado...
Agree! Mountain goats aren't native to Colorado.
there's a difference between "adapted" and "native". some adapted species are invasive. others are not.
cottonmountaineering
Trip Reports (1)

CaptCO wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 9:59 am Cotton, do you think if re-introduced they would mostly avoid being shot by unhappy landowners? I don’t know enough about the topic to provide input
That situation is a little complex, I 100% believe ranchers don't want wolves on their land for monetary reasons, right now ranchers have plausible deniability to shoot everything that looks like a coyote because wolves are not "officially" here, even though they are endangered species in CO
https://defenders.org/newsroom/several- ... ikely-shot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oTZRdz-wWgg

if the bill passes, it might deter ranchers from killing wolves in fear of legal repercussions, having a livestock reimbursement plan in place would help things
Ptglhs
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 86 3
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Ptglhs »

Seems relevant
Attachments
Screenshot_20200513-113608.png
Screenshot_20200513-113608.png (295.47 KiB) Viewed 1815 times
cottonmountaineering
Trip Reports (1)

shelly+ wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 10:03 am
cottonmountaineering wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 8:25 am
if it were me mountain goats would be exterminated from colorado...
there's a difference between "adapted" and "native". some adapted species are invasive. others are not.
mountain goats have pushed out bighorn sheep in a lot of territory, i'd rather have the native species
Barnold41
14ers: 15 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Barnold41 »

cottonmountaineering wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 10:05 am if the bill passes, it might deter ranchers from killing wolves in fear of legal repercussions, having a livestock reimbursement plan in place would help things
I disagree. Have you met ranchers out here? They are generally willing to shoot anything that messes with their money. Especially on remote parts of their land.
cottonmountaineering
Trip Reports (1)

Barnold41 wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 10:12 am
cottonmountaineering wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 10:05 am if the bill passes, it might deter ranchers from killing wolves in fear of legal repercussions, having a livestock reimbursement plan in place would help things
I disagree. Have you met ranchers out here? They are generally willing to shoot anything that messes with their money. Especially on remote parts of their land.
did you read the first half of my reply?
onebyone
14ers: 58  1 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by onebyone »

I think it has 50% chance at best of passing tbh.

Better odds than Amendment B though! lol
cottonmountaineering
Trip Reports (1)

onebyone wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 10:21 am I think it has 50% chance at best of passing tbh.

Better odds than Amendment B though! lol
i haven't seen any polling on prop 114, who knows
disentangled
Trip Reports (0)

Post by disentangled »

cottonmountaineering wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 10:10 am
shelly+ wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 10:03 am

mountain goats have pushed out bighorn sheep in a lot of territory, i'd rather have the native species
it's an important distinction to make. not all non-native (adapted) species are invasive. dandelions are not native, and i see them all over the colorado mountains. it's a question of how humans try to control the environment, not whether a species is native.