He's Ba-ack!

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Monster5
14ers: 58  31 
13ers: 289 37
Trip Reports (27)

Re: He's Ba-ack!

Post by Monster5 »

Tallgrass and Deuces were puppet accounts controlled by the same person. It was hilarious.

My favorite thing about the TG persona was that he was the sort to argue with Ueli Steck about the best way to climb the Eiger North Face using a selection of published magazine quotes from Ueli himself.

That persona gave as much as he got. No need to martyr him.
"The road to alpine climbing is pocked and poorly marked, ending at an unexpectedly closed gate 5 miles from the trailhead." - MP user Beckerich
rijaca
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 244 1 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by rijaca »

Monster5 wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 8:44 am Tallgrass and Deuces were puppet accounts controlled by the same person. It was hilarious.

My favorite thing about the TG persona was that he was the sort to argue with Ueli Steck about the best way to climb the Eiger North Face using a selection of published magazine quotes from Ueli himself.

TG and Deuces were definitely NOT controlled by the same person.
"A couple more shots of whiskey,
the women 'round here start looking good"
stoopdude
14ers: 57  3 
13ers: 72
Trip Reports (0)

Post by stoopdude »

Tallgrass kind of drove me insane on this forum, we even bickered some, then I coincidentally met him IRL on Bierstadt in January, chatted with him for a few minutes and he's a nice guy, as far as I can tell.
12ersRule
14ers: 58 
13ers: 157
Trip Reports (4)

Post by 12ersRule »

rijaca wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 8:49 am
Monster5 wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 8:44 am Tallgrass and Deuces were puppet accounts controlled by the same person. It was hilarious.

TG and Deuces were definitely NOT controlled by the same person.
Deuce was #1! Everyone else was #2.
rijaca
Trip Reports (1)

Post by rijaca »

9patrickmurphy wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 7:20 pm
All I know is he's a Kansan who rides a motorcycle and is apparently a bit intense. That description leads me to believe I met him the Ouray public library last summer, and I can attest, he was a total ass for no damn reason.
TG is an ASS! Not enough to ban him for that. I can be an ass. And haven't been banned. Yet.

When TG joined the site, he was free with his advice and came across as experienced in the Colorado mountains. Most of advice was well received but it became clear he wasn't as experienced as he portrayed. And when he start giving advice on mountains he hadn't climb, some people started questioning his advice. And he danced around the tough questions like Amy Coney Barrett at the Senate hearings. TG generally didn't post his 14er checklist, and claimed it wasn't relevant. But someone caught a screen shot one day...
tallgrass list.PNG
tallgrass list.PNG (236.04 KiB) Viewed 2816 times
Now, TG may be a stronger, faster, better climber than I (many/most are), but he has definitely lacked CO experiences.

He was also critical of other mistakes, even questioning decisions made by climbers during 'rescue' situations. Remember the two kids that got caught in a snowstorm/whiteout on Holy Cross after climbing the Cross couloir. They got disorientated on the summit and descended the wrong direction and had to be rescued. He claimed that would never happen to him. BS! He's never been caught in whiteout conditions above tree line.

He was also a hypocrite. He preached safety, yet admitted to not following one of the Cardinal rules of hiking/climbing;: leaving an itinerary with a trusted contact. He claimed it wouldn't work because he was prone to changing his plans.

TG started to complain to Bill that he was getting picked on and Bill should do something about it. And Bill did.
mtn_hound wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 9:20 pm
If I recall correctly, it was Tallgrass's habit of sending Bill non-stop DMs trying to get him to intervene in various arguments or discipline others on the forum or whatever that got him banned. I have nothing against TG, he was very nice in person, but I also see how that kind of crap would get really old, really fast. It's amazing Bill put up with it as long as he did.
Conor
14ers: 41  6  6 
13ers: 51 1 1
Trip Reports (7)

Post by Conor »

rijaca wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 9:20 am
9patrickmurphy wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 7:20 pm
All I know is he's a Kansan who rides a motorcycle and is apparently a bit intense. That description leads me to believe I met him the Ouray public library last summer, and I can attest, he was a total ass for no damn reason.
TG is an ASS! Not enough to ban him for that. I can be an ass. And haven't been banned. Yet.

When TG joined the site, he was free with his advice and came across as experienced in the Colorado mountains. Most of advice was well received but it became clear he wasn't as experienced as he portrayed. And when he start giving advice on mountains he hadn't climb, some people started questioning his advice. And he danced around the tough questions like Amy Coney Barrett at the Senate hearings. TG generally didn't post his 14er checklist, and claimed it wasn't relevant. But someone caught a screen shot one day...
tallgrass list.PNG
Now, TG may be a stronger, faster, better climber than I (many/most are), but he has definitely lacked CO experiences.

He was also critical of other mistakes, even questioning decisions made by climbers during 'rescue' situations. Remember the two kids that got caught in a snowstorm/whiteout on Holy Cross after climbing the Cross couloir. They got disorientated on the summit and descended the wrong direction and had to be rescued. He claimed that would never happen to him. BS! He's never been caught in whiteout conditions above tree line.

He was also a hypocrite. He preached safety, yet admitted to not following one of the Cardinal rules of hiking/climbing;: leaving an itinerary with a trusted contact. He claimed it wouldn't work because he was prone to changing his plans.

TG started to complain to Bill that he was getting picked on and Bill should do something about it. And Bill did.
mtn_hound wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 9:20 pm
If I recall correctly, it was Tallgrass's habit of sending Bill non-stop DMs trying to get him to intervene in various arguments or discipline others on the forum or whatever that got him banned. I have nothing against TG, he was very nice in person, but I also see how that kind of crap would get really old, really fast. It's amazing Bill put up with it as long as he did.
he could certainly dish it out, but he couldn't take it. I was a victim of his incessant pm'ing once, which only lasted for a couple days. I think he was on Middlebrook's case pretty hot and heavy - I remember him bringing up minutae about trailheads and he wouldn't stop it. He created at least 2 threads on a forum to try and get middlebrook to change some small detail on the website directions to a trailhead which would save people a couple hundred feet of walking. I have to assume the pm'ing was going on behind the scenes as well if he was creating separate threads.

He did leave some trash on little bear this year. Yes TallGrass, I know you're reading this. Go pick up your trash you left in the mountains.
Monster5
14ers: 58  31 
13ers: 289 37
Trip Reports (27)

Post by Monster5 »

The thing about puppet accounts is nobody ever wants to take credit for said puppet accounts. Nice try, Rijaca. I know who controlled TG's strings.
"The road to alpine climbing is pocked and poorly marked, ending at an unexpectedly closed gate 5 miles from the trailhead." - MP user Beckerich
rijaca
Trip Reports (1)

Post by rijaca »

Monster5 wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 10:18 am The thing about puppet accounts is nobody ever wants to take credit for said puppet accounts. Nice try, Rijaca. I know who controlled TG's strings.
Sorry, Monster. I know (as friends I communicate with regularly) the three peeps that posted as Deuces Wild, and they aren't TG. And it appears that TG is for real.
NM_Hiker
Trip Reports (0)

Post by NM_Hiker »

yaktoleft13 wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 6:56 pm Man, I thought the title meant TallGrass got unbanned
I was thinking the same thing. Would have preferred that instead.
two lunches
14ers: 37  2 
13ers: 59
Trip Reports (0)

Post by two lunches »

justiner wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 7:43 pm
Flyingfish wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 7:34 pm
Tornadoman wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 6:58 pm

That would be SO much better than this literal #ss.
This is what I though and was hoping for.
me too
he's clearly left a big hole in the forum that (try as they may) our current trolls can't fill because this was my first thought, and i hoped for the same.
“To walk in nature is to witness a thousand miracles.” – Mary Davis
cedica
Trip Reports (0)

Post by cedica »

rijaca wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 10:23 am And it appears that TG is for real.
And surviving.
nunns
14ers: 43 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (0)

Post by nunns »

yaktoleft13 wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 6:56 pm Man, I thought the title meant TallGrass got unbanned
Me too. I was hoping.

Sean Nunn
"Thy righteousness is like the great mountains." --Psalms 36:6