He's Ba-ack!

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
9patrickmurphy
14ers: 50  1  2 
13ers: 318 23 2
Trip Reports (1)

Re: He's Ba-ack!

Post by 9patrickmurphy »

CaptCO wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 7:17 pm
yaktoleft13 wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 6:56 pm Man, I thought the title meant TallGrass got unbanned
I wasn’t even around then or know him but thought the same. Wtf happened?
I'd also be curious to hear a veteran recount the story of TallGrass.

All I know is he's a Kansan who rides a motorcycle and is apparently a bit intense. That description leads me to believe I met him the Ouray public library last summer, and I can attest, he was a total ass for no damn reason.
painless4u2
14ers: 58 
Trip Reports (8)

Post by painless4u2 »

Don't get pilgrim started...
Bad decisions often make good stories.

IPAs + Ambien = "14ers" post (Bill M.)

In their hearts humans plan their course, but the Lord establishes their steps. Proverbs 16:9
Flyingfish
14ers: 58  3 
13ers: 533 2 16
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Flyingfish »

Tornadoman wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 6:58 pm
yaktoleft13 wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 6:56 pm Man, I thought the title meant TallGrass got unbanned
That would be SO much better than this literal #ss.
This is what I though and was hoping for.
justiner
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138
Trip Reports (40)

Post by justiner »

Flyingfish wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 7:34 pm
Tornadoman wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 6:58 pm
That would be SO much better than this literal #ss.
This is what I though and was hoping for.
me too
Wentzl
14ers: 58  20 
13ers: 55
Trip Reports (49)

Post by Wentzl »

I remember TallGrass. Never bothered me much. Not sure those posts were any worse that Deuceswild, who did seem a bit rough around the edges.

These threads only go so long as we keep them going.

Now let me go stoke the Ballot for the Reintroduction of Wolves.
Shorter of Breath and One Day Closer . . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZXKgl8turY

"Social Justice" = Injustice
HikesInGeologicTime
14ers: 58  8  18 
13ers: 60 2 11
Trip Reports (37)

Post by HikesInGeologicTime »

9patrickmurphy wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 7:20 pm I'd also be curious to hear a veteran recount the story of TallGrass.
He has a lot of opinions on a lot of topics, he doesn’t hold back on sharing them, and he doesn’t sugarcoat any of them. If you choose to engage in a debate with him, you’d better be prepared to dig in and back your own viewpoint up for hours, if not days (and I am not exaggerating; I’ve carpooled with him from Denver to the San Juans and back, so I know firsthand). He’s also detail-oriented (you could call it “anal retentive” if you’re feeling inclined to dysphemism), so anything he’d read from any source about the thread topic at hand could be used against you.

In an online setting, where people feel less inclined to soften their own sharp edges anyway, these traits led to some very...interesting...back-and-forth on assorted threads. Several of these threads quickly devolved into derogatory remarks at TallGrass’ expense, which, while perhaps understandable in the overall context of human behavior, were excessively crude. I can only surmise that, even though I don’t seem to recall TG posting anything that violated the TOS, Bill M. decided he didn’t want to deal with the pile-ons anymore.

All that said, while a lot of TallGrass’...uh...most intense traits are just as present in real life as they are online, he’s also one of the most intellectually curious, funny, driven, and generous people I know. He will go literal-in-the-original-sense miles out of his way and take hours out of his day(s) to help his friends, and he’ll stop to give a stranger on the road or trail food or his trekking poles when they’re in trouble. He’s hauled my bumbling backside up two Class 5 Centennials and across the Telluride Via Ferrata, and I’m not exactly sure what was in it for him with any of those trips!

It truly is a loss to the forums that he’s not around the anymore, in my opinion.
"I'm not selling drugs, dude. Drugs sell themselves. I'm selling stoke!"
- Guy at the table next to mine at Alta's Slopeside Cafe, in what I can't help but selfishly hope were (will be?) his verbatim words to the arresting officer(s)
AndrewLyonsGeibel
14ers: 9 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by AndrewLyonsGeibel »

That was my first thought too. I kinda enjoy reading the purely pointless banter and trolling. Is it productive? No. Funny? Usually. People need to grow some thicker skin and realize that a semi anonymous forum is gonna have that and take it in stride.
RETEP 1
14ers: 58 
13ers: 38
Trip Reports (0)

Post by RETEP 1 »

Soooo disappointed when I got one here and realized it wasn’t TallGrass☹️
sigepnader
14ers: 22 
13ers: 52 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by sigepnader »

RETEP 1 wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 9:08 pm
Soooo disappointed when I got one here and realized it wasn’t TallGrass☹️

Add me to the list who came here to wish Tall a nice welcome back!

I have never met him personally but he was always nice to me on this forum in private messages. Especially when I was starting out with hiking and climbing in Colorado. I’ve got nothing but respect for him.

Was he rough on folk in treads? Yes. But so am I. I happen to like those who truly have (sometimes misguided) passion.
mtn_hound
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mtn_hound »

[/quote]
I can only surmise that, even though I don’t seem to recall TG posting anything that violated the TOS, Bill M. decided he didn’t want to deal with the pile-ons anymore.
[/quote]

If I recall correctly, it was Tallgrass's habit of sending Bill non-stop DMs trying to get him to intervene in various arguments or discipline others on the forum or whatever that got him banned. I have nothing against TG, he was very nice in person, but I also see how that kind of crap would get really old, really fast. It's amazing Bill put up with it as long as he did.
OldTrad
14ers: 36 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (4)

Post by OldTrad »

Tall Grass is alive and well on this site and sends PMs out under the handle “PlayGneiss”. He has PM’ed me many times - same as his old MO. I realized it was him after he sent me some elaborate messages and photos of the Hourglass anchors, and then not long afterwards someone posted a Little Bear TR describing a LB ascent with TG where TG did a bunch of cleanup/replacement work on the anchor.

Welcome back TG!
pvnisher
Trip Reports (8)

Post by pvnisher »

I was hoping it'd be The Baron.