Missing Zion hiker found after 2 weeks

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
JChitwood
14ers: 58 
13ers: 51
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Missing Zion hiker found after 2 weeks

Post by JChitwood »

Hit her head on a tree????

And crews of SAR and NPS rangers who know the territory don’t locate her but a random hiker likely on a trail does????
"I'll make it." - Jimmy Chitwood
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

I am friends with one of the regular SAR crew down there (Bo Beck). I PM'd him and he says that she was found right behind the lodge. :-s
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
FireOnTheMountain
14ers: 53  1  23 
13ers: 269 29
Trip Reports (23)

Post by FireOnTheMountain »

Cocaine is a helluva drug, or so the saying goes.
JChitwood wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 12:59 amCalifornians.
:lol:
Everyday is a G r A t E f U L Day here in the ID...?
mtree
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mtree »

Shrooms, man. Shrooooooooooms.
- I didn't say it was your fault. I said I was blaming you.
onebyone
14ers: 58  1 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by onebyone »

The daughter said she was so weak and disoriented that she couldn't walk two steps without falling down.

Park says she walked out on her own without assistance. They found her next to the Virgin River. The noise from the constant RVs driving by must have been really irritating after awhile.
bergsteigen
14ers: 58  52  18 
13ers: 538 100 12
Trip Reports (237)

Post by bergsteigen »

Who’s waiting for the movie about this to come out? Or a spot on Unsolved Mysteries. :-SS

Maybe then we’ll get answers!
"Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games." - Ernest Hemingway (or was it Barnaby Conrad?)
Your knees only get so many bumps in life, don't waste them on moguls!
“No athlete is truly tested until they’ve stared an injury in the face and come out on the other side stronger than ever” -anonymous

http://otinasadventures.com @otina
Candace66
14ers: 42  1 
13ers: 207 3
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Candace66 »

Here's the GoFundMe page that was set up.

https://www.gofundme.com/f/please-help- ... y-courtier

Scroll down a little to read the updates.

"...A remainder of the donations will be used to cover the medical care applied to Holly during her hospital stay as well as therapy costs moving forward." :-k
onebyone
14ers: 58  1 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by onebyone »

Candace66 wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 2:49 pm Here's the GoFundMe page that was set up.

"...A remainder of the donations will be used to cover the medical care applied to Holly during her hospital stay as well as therapy costs moving forward." :-k
I would put it all toward therapy. ha ha This woman prob ain't right in the head so I'm sure this is a s**t show for the family. I don't think it is an elaborate scam. Just sucks that so much time and resources were wasted on this.
As for the "tipster." Makes sense why she just alerted the authorities instead of directly assisting, especially if she was within sight of the road. Prob could see something was quite not right.
Trotter
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 220 2 8
Trip Reports (10)

Post by Trotter »

Candace66 wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 2:49 pm Here's the GoFundMe page that was set up.

Lady loses job. Has no income.
Gets "lost" in a park
Family raises money that is untraceable and can be used for anything, regardless of what they say on a website.
Lady is found, apparently unhurt and in great shape.
Lady gets money.

Not suspicious at all :roll:
After climbing a great hill, one only finds that there are many more hills to climb. -Nelson Mandela
Whenever I climb I am followed by a dog called Ego. -Nietzsche
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
JChitwood
14ers: 58 
13ers: 51
Trip Reports (0)

Post by JChitwood »

This gets funnier every day.
"I'll make it." - Jimmy Chitwood
DeTour
14ers: 43 
13ers: 6
Trip Reports (30)

Post by DeTour »

Today’s update makes a bit more sense.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/10/21/us/rescu ... index.html

The “tip” was someone spotting her hammock. So you can drop the conspiracy theories based on one three-letter word. To be lost so close to civilization may seem far-fetched, but I’m reminded of a woman who died a few years ago when she walked off the Appalachian Trail to pee, and got turned around. Her body and journal were found some time later. The article expands on the head injury in a way that sounds more plausible, and addresses the fact that the water which was so close was undrinkable.

I’m not saying that proves her family’s story, but I think people should entertain the possibility that it’s true. Skepticism is fine; the smug certainty of some conspiracy theorists (more on the FB group than here) is revolting to me. Comparable to armchair experts analyzing what someone did wrong after they died in a mountain accident based on a few tiny snippets of information. If true, the woman and her family went through a gruesome experience.
------------------------------------------------------------------
Once torched by truth, a little thing like faith is easy.
Swede Landing, 'Peace Like a River'
The land is forever.
- Steve Almburg, Illinois centennial farmer