Gone?? "Meet the Colorado girl who hikes 14ers in high heels!

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Summit Stomper
14ers: 40 
Trip Reports (0)

Gone?? "Meet the Colorado girl who hikes 14ers in high heels!

Post by Summit Stomper »

This was an interesting read. Did it get removed or something?
Teeth to the wind!
Dan_Suitor
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 90
Trip Reports (3)

Re: Gone?? "Meet the Colorado girl who hikes 14ers in high heels!

Post by Dan_Suitor »

Century Bound, eventually.
highpilgrim
14ers: 58 
13ers: 84 1
Trip Reports (1)

Post by highpilgrim »

It had already devolved into a bunch of old white guys arguing about a young woman doing something fun she wanted to do that none of them could.

While railing against her temerity as if none of them did anything silly, stupid or ignorant in THEIR youth. :roll:
Call on God, but row away from the rocks.
Hunter S Thompson

Walk away from the droning and leave the hive behind.
Dick Derkase
cougar
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 135 2
Trip Reports (10)

Post by cougar »

She sped off in a green subaru
http://www.listsofjohn.com/m/cougar

"If we don't change direction, we'll end up where we're going."
"Bushwhacking is like a box of chocolates - you never know what you're gonna get."
"Don't give up on your dreams, stay asleep"
shays_days
14ers: 13  3 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by shays_days »

I can’t stand people who think hiking is some noble and serious pursuit that deserves to be honored :roll: It’s a completely arbitrary and selfish sport that benefits no one but yourself. We do it because it’s fun and we enjoy it, it’s no more important than baseball or drawing or guitar or underwater basket weaving. Pretty self centered to call someone having fun with your hobby in their own way a mockery of the hobby lol. Climbing a mountain in heels is no more contrived than climbing a mountain in hiking boots.

In fact one could make the argument that the people like Erin who share their achievements with as many people as possible, and make this hobby seem fun and accessible are doing the greatest good because at least they are inspiring other people to go outside in fun ways and be healthy.
Last edited by shays_days on Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:13 am, edited 2 times in total.
rijaca
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 244 1 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by rijaca »

shays_days wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:02 am I can’t stand people who think hiking is a noble and serious pursuit that deserves to be honored :roll: It’s a completely arbitrary and selfish sport that benefits no one but yourself. We do it because it’s fun and we enjoy it, it’s no more important than baseball or drawing or guitar or underwater basket weaving. Pretty self centered to call someone having fun with your hobby in their own way a mockery of the hobby lol.
:thumbup:

Met some random guy on top of Torreys a couple 4th of Julys ago. He was grilling hamburgers and hotdogs for all the other peeps...
GrillingonTorreys.small.jpg
GrillingonTorreys.small.jpg (30.23 KiB) Viewed 2700 times
"A couple more shots of whiskey,
the women 'round here start looking good"
shays_days
Trip Reports (0)

Post by shays_days »

rijaca wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:09 am :thumbup:

Met some random guy on top of Torreys a couple 4th of Julys ago. He was grilling hamburgers and hotdogs for all the other peeps...

GrillingonTorreys.small.jpg
You know, I think I may have ran into the same guys on Bierstadt a couple years ago. Summited at 6am to a hot eggs, bacon and coffee breakfast. It was probably the happiest moment of my hiking career.
Summit Stomper
14ers: 40 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Summit Stomper »

shays_days wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:02 am I can’t stand people who think hiking is some noble and serious pursuit that deserves to be honored :roll: It’s a completely arbitrary and selfish sport that benefits no one but yourself. We do it because it’s fun and we enjoy it, it’s no more important than baseball or drawing or guitar or underwater basket weaving. Pretty self centered to call someone having fun with your hobby in their own way a mockery of the hobby lol. Climbing a mountain in heels is no more contrived than climbing a mountain in hiking boots.

In fact one could make the argument that the people like Erin who share their achievements with as many people as possible, and make this hobby seem fun and accessible are doing the greatest good because at least they are inspiring other people to go outside in fun ways and be healthy.
Yes...it's not like it was her first 14er with no experience. She probably had a pair of backup shoes if needed. It's fun to be different to either see peoples reactions or just to see if you can do it! Didn't one person climb Everest only using his arms, because he had no legs?
Teeth to the wind!
nsaladin
14ers: 58  1  5 
13ers: 12 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by nsaladin »

cougar wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:18 am She sped off in a green subaru
=D>
719BR
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (0)

Post by 719BR »

shays_days wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:02 am Climbing a mountain in heels is no more contrived than climbing a mountain in hiking boots.
why do you have a ruin an otherwise perfectly fine point by saying something to stupid?
shays_days
Trip Reports (0)

Post by shays_days »

brichardsson wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:49 am
shays_days wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:02 am Climbing a mountain in heels is no more contrived than climbing a mountain in hiking boots.
why do you have a ruin an otherwise perfectly fine point by saying something to stupid?
I see your point but you don’t have to be rude about it.

I phrased badly. I was trying to add some perspective. Climbing a mountain or technical climbing is a contrived way of getting fit to a lot of people. How many times have you heard “lol you know there’s a road on the other side right” or “you know there’s a trail?” when you are climbing with ropes? Of course we know but it is fun to make it harder in the way that makes us happy.

In the same vein, tons of people say “lol why would you hike in heels”? Because it’s fun for me.

There, I have elaborated my stupid point.
ezabielski
14ers: 43  1 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ezabielski »

People on this website are, generally, under the delusion that their opinions matter.