3,000 foot rule question?

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Boggy B
14ers: 58  7 
13ers: 777 76
Trip Reports (40)

Re: 3,000 foot rule question?

Post by Boggy B »

bergsteigen wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 9:54 am Boggy B - remember that 11k, 8 peak day we did together separately? Well 11073/8 = 1,384’/peak. Do you want to do that loop 2 more times to be able to count each peak as getting 3k? Nope? Me neither.
Per the 3k ethic I've attempted to follow and which I've (perhaps mis)understood to be the standard, 3,000' or more shall have been gained on reaching a summit to count it. I didn't realize there were different rules for different elevation classes, though I can see why gaining 3k to summit a 6er is problematic. Looks like I missed it on 66 ranked peaks so I've got my work cut out for me.

Anyway, since we exceeded 3k to reach Electric, all peaks on that circuit counted.

Of course no one cares except you if you adhere to some minimum gain principle. Really 3k just seems like a good threshold for a cardio workout.
Chicago Transplant
14ers: 58  12  24 
13ers: 697 39 34
Trip Reports (66)

Post by Chicago Transplant »

I always thought it was more cumulative than net? If you start from a higher trailhead, say 11,500. Drop to 11,200 to cross a creek and then climbed to 14,100 and back to the car, its 2900 net but 3200 cumulative, I think that would count.

I had a 9er in Eagle County that I climbed from an ~11,700' trailhead. This was due to private land below the mountain and a public road above it that eventually goes to a comm tower. I guess I have to count that one as negative 2000'. :lol:
"We want the unpopular challenge. We want to test our intellect!" - Snapcase
"You are not what you own" - Fugazi
"Life's a mountain not a beach" - Fortune Cookie I got at lunch the other day
Boggy B
14ers: 58  7 
13ers: 777 76
Trip Reports (40)

Post by Boggy B »

Chicago Transplant wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 3:08 pm I always thought it was more cumulative than net? If you start from a higher trailhead, say 11,500. Drop to 11,200 to cross a creek and then climbed to 14,100 and back to the car, its 2900 net but 3200 cumulative, I think that would count.

I had a 9er in Eagle County that I climbed from an ~11,700' trailhead. This was due to private land below the mountain and a public road above it that eventually goes to a comm tower. I guess I have to count that one as negative 2000'. :lol:
Hmm. Net gain to the summit in your example would be 2,600', cumulative 2,900', and total 3,200' for the day. Either way, for me it wouldn't count as a 3k summit since 3k was not gained prior to the summit.

Anyway, you've nicely illustrated how ridiculous it is to use net gain (as summit minus trailhead). Plenty of routes and trails involve non-trivial loss and regain that would count towards any logical representation of how much effort is required to complete them (and therefore count towards any application of minimum gain).
John Prater
14ers: 58  58 
13ers: 343 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by John Prater »

bdloftin77 wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 3:27 pm On listsofjohn, the site understandably lets you submit only unique peak ascents for each day - won't let you say you climbed Evans twice in a day for example. If I had done your route and recorded on listsofjohn, I would have submitted Evans (it records one ascent), and put in the comment that I ascended twice, and my route.
You can actually submit multiple ascents per day on LoJ. However, multiple ascents per day won't show up in the stats, lists, etc. I think the only way to see those multiple ascents is by downloading the list of peaks you've climbed.
bdloftin77
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 58
Trip Reports (2)

Post by bdloftin77 »

John Prater wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 6:24 pm
bdloftin77 wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 3:27 pm On listsofjohn, the site understandably lets you submit only unique peak ascents for each day - won't let you say you climbed Evans twice in a day for example. If I had done your route and recorded on listsofjohn, I would have submitted Evans (it records one ascent), and put in the comment that I ascended twice, and my route.
You can actually submit multiple ascents per day on LoJ. However, multiple ascents per day won't show up in the stats, lists, etc. I think the only way to see those multiple ascents is by downloading the list of peaks you've climbed.
Good to know! Thanks.
nunns
14ers: 43 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (0)

Post by nunns »

Chicago Transplant wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 3:08 pm I always thought it was more cumulative than net? If you start from a higher trailhead, say 11,500. Drop to 11,200 to cross a creek and then climbed to 14,100 and back to the car, its 2900 net but 3200 cumulative, I think that would count.

You probably have to count that against your lifetime elevation gain just like a running back does if he loses yards on a carry. :-D
Did you ever finish the 13ers? I remember you were very close.

Sean Nunn
"Thy righteousness is like the great mountains." --Psalms 36:6
Jim Davies
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 67
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Jim Davies »

re: Multiple ascents in a day. Brandon Stapanowich once did four round-trips of Pikes Peak via Barr Trail in a weekend, including both the Ascent and Marathon races as the first and fourth trips. I think that counts as four climbs. :) https://www.podiumrunner.com/events/tra ... our-times/
Climbing at altitude is like hitting your head against a brick wall — it's great when you stop. -- Chris Darwin
I'm pretty tired. I think I'll go home now. -- Forrest Gump
nunns
14ers: 43 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (0)

Post by nunns »

Jim Davies wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:46 am re: Multiple ascents in a day. Brandon Stapanowich once did four round-trips of Pikes Peak via Barr Trail in a weekend, including both the Ascent and Marathon races as the first and fourth trips. I think that counts as four climbs. :) https://www.podiumrunner.com/events/tra ... our-times/
Wow, once up the Barr trail was enough for me.
Then I took the train down. :)

Sean Nunn
"Thy righteousness is like the great mountains." --Psalms 36:6