Good peaks to bag in Utah.

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Jbrow327
Trip Reports (0)

Good peaks to bag in Utah.

Post by Jbrow327 »

Anyone know of some good eleveners or thirteeners to bag in Utah this time of year? I am about 50 pounds overweight so nothing extremely strenuous. Thanks.
bdloftin77
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 58
Trip Reports (2)

Re: Good peaks to bag in Utah.

Post by bdloftin77 »

Not 12ers? What round-trip distance and elevation gain range are you thinking of?
Jbrow327
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Jbrow327 »

bdloftin77 wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 5:17 pm Not 12ers? What round-trip distance and elevation gain range are you thinking of?
12ers too. Don't know why I ignored them.
Since I'm not in the best shape, round trip no more than 10 miles. Elevation gain no more than 3k or 4k.
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

Didn't you already ask something similar not to long ago? Why not just use the suggestions on the other thread?

There are no Utah 13ers that are even remotely close to being 10 miles roound trip.

The easiest 12ers in Utah are Leidy Peak, Marsh Peak, and Delano Peak.

There are many easy 11ers, including the ones discussed in the other thread.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
IntrepidXJ
14ers: 34 
13ers: 63
Trip Reports (90)

Post by IntrepidXJ »

Anything in the La Sals: Peale, Tuk, Mellenthin, Waas, etc...
Randy Langstraat | ADVENTR.co
cougar
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 135 2
Trip Reports (10)

Post by cougar »

La Sals are good and fairly short from the pass, Mt Peale or Tuk. Should be great for fall colors around now too, big stand of Aspen. Good car camping spots near the trailhead.
http://www.listsofjohn.com/m/cougar

"If we don't change direction, we'll end up where we're going."
"Bushwhacking is like a box of chocolates - you never know what you're gonna get."
"Don't give up on your dreams, stay asleep"
Matt Lemke
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 116 11
Trip Reports (13)

Post by Matt Lemke »

There's quite a few good desert peaks too that I find more interesting than the alpine ones sometimes. Many are harder scrambles or technical, but some, such as George Benchmark in Capitol Reef are easier scrambles (class 3) and that one is one of my all time favorites.
Lemke Climbs
The Pacific Coast to the Great Plains = My Playground
"Take risks not to escape life, but to prevent life from escaping"
"When you come to face what you fear, let the creator guide you"
Conor
14ers: 41  6  6 
13ers: 51 1 1
Trip Reports (7)

Post by Conor »

We just got back from the henry mountains. That, a day at the poor man's goblin valley, scoping out some of irish canyons and little wildhorse/bell made for a great easy 3 day trip with awesome weather that the entire family could handle (4yo to 8yo).

Checking out great basin National Park would probably have nice weather and some easy hiking....
sigepnader
14ers: 22 
13ers: 52 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by sigepnader »

Jbrow327 wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 5:04 pm Anyone know of some good eleveners or thirteeners to bag in Utah this time of year? I am about 50 pounds overweight so nothing extremely strenuous. Thanks.
La Sals

Clayton Peak to Sunset Peak traverse

Mount Wolverine/Mount Tuscarora/ Mount Millicent

Provo Peak

Mount Timpanaganos
greenonion
14ers: 50  1 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by greenonion »

Mt Nebo from the north. Fun and scenic hike. Tallest in wasatch at just under 12k
Will_E
14ers: 58  58 
13ers: 210 37
Trip Reports (21)

Post by Will_E »

I was working in Utah a few summers ago, did many of the peaks around SLC. I really liked King’s Peak, Pfeifferhorn, and Timpanogos. If you love steep cardio, Olympus is a great workout.
rdp32
Trip Reports (0)

Post by rdp32 »

Conor wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 7:11 pm We just got back from the henry mountains. That, a day at the poor man's goblin valley, scoping out some of irish canyons and little wildhorse/bell made for a great easy 3 day trip with awesome weather that the entire family could handle (4yo to 8yo).

Checking out great basin National Park would probably have nice weather and some easy hiking....
Conor---I'm heading to Goblin Valley with my family in several weeks and am planning on doing wildhorse/bell (assuming good weather/conditions). Which irish canyons did you do? Would you recommend any of them in particular for easy walk-through access (totally non-technical for at least part way)? Also, I'm not sure what you meant by "poor man's goblin valley"... is there another goblin valley?