Which 14er is the closest to Anchorage?

14ers in California and Washington state or any other peak in the USA
Forum rules
Please do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website. For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
User avatar
ashportko
Posts: 11
Joined: 9/9/2020
14ers: 2
Contact:

Which 14er is the closest to Anchorage?

Post by ashportko » Wed Sep 09, 2020 10:23 am

Hello All,

I am going to Anchorage, AK in October (beginning), and I am wondering what would be the absolutely closest 14er to the city? I would take anything, but preferably something easier as I am taking my brother with me who is not quite there hiking-wise. :roll: Thank you!!!
Ptglhs
Posts: 1220
Joined: 1/6/2016
14ers: 58 8
13ers: 75 3
Trip Reports (2)

Re: Which 14er is the closest to Anchorage?

Post by Ptglhs » Wed Sep 09, 2020 10:31 am

I do love a good troll question.
User avatar
supranihilest
Posts: 357
Joined: 6/29/2015
14ers: 58 28
13ers: 409 10
Trip Reports (92)
Contact:

Re: Which 14er is the closest to Anchorage?

Post by supranihilest » Wed Sep 09, 2020 10:33 am

Mount Hunter. Good luck!

Image
User avatar
ashportko
Posts: 11
Joined: 9/9/2020
14ers: 2
Contact:

Re: Which 14er is the closest to Anchorage?

Post by ashportko » Wed Sep 09, 2020 10:40 am

supranihilest wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 10:33 am
Mount Hunter. Good luck!

Many thanks! Anything closer to Anchorage or is Denali Park it? Making sure. :)
User avatar
Eli Watson
Posts: 140
Joined: 5/29/2020
14ers: 58 5
13ers: 36 1
Trip Reports (2)

Re: Which 14er is the closest to Anchorage?

Post by Eli Watson » Wed Sep 09, 2020 10:46 am

Maybe start with Rainier?
Last edited by Eli Watson on Sun Oct 11, 2020 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Crestone Centennial Circuit: Part I & Part II
User avatar
Scott P
Posts: 8400
Joined: 5/4/2005
14ers: 51 16
13ers: 41 13
Trip Reports (16)
Contact:

Re: Which 14er is the closest to Anchorage?

Post by Scott P » Wed Sep 09, 2020 11:02 am

Troll for sure, but I believe the closest 13er to Anchorage is Mount Marcus Baker.

Mt Wrangell is the easiest 14er in Alaska, but it's a 3.5 hour dive to get into the area from Anchorage. It still is one of the closer ones to Anchorage though (the Alaska range peaks are closer as the crow flies, but not by driving (or flying) time
Last edited by Scott P on Wed Sep 09, 2020 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
I'm slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
User avatar
ashportko
Posts: 11
Joined: 9/9/2020
14ers: 2
Contact:

Re: Which 14er is the closest to Anchorage?

Post by ashportko » Wed Sep 09, 2020 11:02 am

Eli Watson wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 10:46 am
Call Alex at Chilkoot Charlie's and ask if they're taking any new comics for stand-up. Your jokes may go over better there.
I am sorry; I am not quite sure why my question is funny? I am new to the website. :)
User avatar
mtree
Posts: 1141
Joined: 6/16/2010
14ers: List not added

Re: Which 14er is the closest to Anchorage?

Post by mtree » Wed Sep 09, 2020 11:04 am

OK, I'll bite.

Are you serious? Wake up and smell the coffee, Ash! October isn't the best time of year for a couple of dudes to casually bag some tall peaks in AK. It ain't Colorado. As for close to Anchorage, depends on your definition of "close". The Chugach Mountains are within a couple hours or less, but I don't recall any peaks over 14K nearby. Maybe one or two around 13K, but tough to get into and climb. Not an easy task considering how low you start and the rugged terrain. I'd say it would be a huge expedition type climb akin to Denali.

Alaska is a big state. Everything out there is big and bigger. And there are no gimmies. Its real mountain climbing, not the practically paved p**sy paths we have in Colorado. Most "peaks" near Anchorage are surprisingly low in elevation...more like 4-6K with a few rising around 8K. Once outside Anchorage you are no longer the top of the food chain. No one to hear you scream either. Bears are also mighty active getting ready for a slumber. And folks won't find your bodies until the spring thaw...if ever...and they don't care.

Maybe climb Flattop and call it good. Hang out at Humpy's or grab yourselves a tasty pie at the Moose's Tooth.
You're welcome. Have fun!
- I didn't say it was your fault. I said I was blaming you.
User avatar
ashportko
Posts: 11
Joined: 9/9/2020
14ers: 2
Contact:

Re: Which 14er is the closest to Anchorage?

Post by ashportko » Wed Sep 09, 2020 11:05 am

Scott P wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 11:02 am
Troll for sure, but I believe the closest 13er to Anchorage is Mount Marcus Baker.

Mt Wrangell is the easiest 14er in Alaska, but it's a 3.5 hour dive to get into the area from Anchorage. It still is one of the closer ones to Anchorage though (the Alaska range peaks are closer as the crow flies, but not by driving (or flying) time
Thank you! I will research. And I did not mean to offend anyone by my question; just still exploring options in AK (all the info online is mostly about CO 14ers).
User avatar
aksean22
Posts: 8
Joined: 8/30/2018
14ers: 58 28 10
13ers: 38 2

Re: Which 14er is the closest to Anchorage?

Post by aksean22 » Wed Sep 09, 2020 11:08 am

Yeah all the 14ers in Alaska take weeks long expeditions to attempt and require serious glacier travel. The Chugach State Park is right next to Anchorage, there are a lot of fun peaks in there to climb.
User avatar
ashportko
Posts: 11
Joined: 9/9/2020
14ers: 2
Contact:

Re: Which 14er is the closest to Anchorage?

Post by ashportko » Wed Sep 09, 2020 11:15 am

mtree wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 11:04 am
OK, I'll bite.

Are you serious? Wake up and smell the coffee, Ash! October isn't the best time of year for a couple of dudes to casually bag some tall peaks in AK. It ain't Colorado. As for close to Anchorage, depends on your definition of "close". The Chugach Mountains are within a couple hours or less, but I don't recall any peaks over 14K nearby. Maybe one or two around 13K, but tough to get into and climb. Not an easy task considering how low you start and the rugged terrain. I'd say it would be a huge expedition type climb akin to Denali.

Alaska is a big state. Everything out there is big and bigger. And there are no gimmies. Its real mountain climbing, not the practically paved p**sy paths we have in Colorado. Most "peaks" near Anchorage are surprisingly low in elevation...more like 4-6K with a few rising around 8K. Once outside Anchorage you are no longer the top of the food chain. No one to hear you scream either. Bears are also mighty active getting ready for a slumber. And folks won't find your bodies until the spring thaw...if ever...and they don't care.

Maybe climb Flattop and call it good. Hang out at Humpy's or grab yourselves a tasty pie at the Moose's Tooth.
You're welcome. Have fun!

Very good advice! I appreciate it greatly. You can tell I am a super newbie to the hiking. Flattop is indeed a great spot (I just wanted something more), and Moose's Tooth has the best pizza.
Ptglhs
Posts: 1220
Joined: 1/6/2016
14ers: 58 8
13ers: 75 3
Trip Reports (2)

Re: Which 14er is the closest to Anchorage?

Post by Ptglhs » Wed Sep 09, 2020 11:38 am

ashportko wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 11:05 am
Thank you! I will research. And I did not mean to offend anyone by my question; just still exploring options in AK (all the info online is mostly about CO 14ers).
It's great to be passionate about the mountains. A lot of folks on this site are. If you've never hiked an alpine peak, and considering you said your first is going to be Elbert on October 8th I assume you haven't, it's fair to say you don't know what conditions will be like up there. October in Colorado mean shorter days, colder wind, and a real possibility of snow on the ground and in the air. Do Elbert and see what conditions are like, how you're feeling, and if you even make it to the top. After that think about other peaks in the lower 49 you might want to do. As plenty of other people have mentioned, Alaska is so far north, and much more remote, that climbing over 10,000 feet is several orders of magnitude higher there than in Colorado.

Ask the locals where would be fun to day hike, below treeline, with bear spray and several people in Alaska. A 14er in AK is several days of work, snowshoes, crampons, ice axe, serious cold weather gear, and technical climbing equipment: ropes, harness, amd protection.
Post Reply