Hiker Shoots Off-Leash Dog

Dogs, dogs and even some cats
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Marcos
Trip Reports (4)

Re: Hiker Shoots Off-Leash Dog

Post by Marcos »

Ptglhs wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 8:04 pm Maybe just leave dogs alone if you don't like them. They typcially do the same. Leashes don't fix aggressive behavior, they just allow an owner to use their physical strength to restrain a dog. Any dog big enough to actually do damage -viciously assualted by a dachshund? I call BS- is going to be too big for the owner to restrain anyway.
You're definitely right about leashes not fixing aggressive behavior. I got first-hand proof this morning.

I just got back from a quick pre-work hike on segment 14 of the CT. Coming down the steep slope leading to the Angel of Shavano TH, I saw 3 local women coming up the narrow trail. They all had dogs. The first two were leashed and under control. I pulled off to the side and thanked them, since it's so rare to see leashed dogs out here. The third woman quickly grabbed her unleashed dog by the collar, turned him around and started back down the trail, evidently looking for a place to pull over. But we had to pass each other somehow, and the slope was too steep to get very far away from the trail.

The dog was some sort of bull terrier or pitbull mix. As I passed by it was snarling at me like I killed its mother, eyes rolling around in it's head. For some reason it really wanted to hurt me. It was big and strong, and it was one of those dogs that don't let go.

That's usually the time dog owners say "don't worry, he's friendly." But she never got the chance. Mad as a hornet, the dog physically threw her to the ground. ("Bad dog," she wheezed.) But thankfully she managed to hang on long enough for me to move off down the trail. I really believe that's the only reason I'm here at the keyboard right now instead getting patched up at the Heart of the Rockies Hospital.

There's absolutely no excuse for this. She obviously knew that this dog was antisocial and dangerous, given the way she frantically try to divert him. I'm guessing the reason the dog wasn't leashed in the first place was because she would have been physically drug down the trail, or the leash would have been ripped from her hands. I wonder how many close calls she had with other hikers, or even dogs.

What if she had lost her grip on the dog? What if I had had kids with me? What makes her think public lands exist to serve her and her dog only? I guess this is just another example of the tragedy of the commons. We can do better.
LURE
14ers: 34 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (0)

Post by LURE »

Marcos wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 11:52 am
What if she had lost her grip on the dog? What if I had had kids with me? What makes her think public lands exist to serve her and her dog only? I guess this is just another example of the tragedy of the commons. We can do better.
let me be clear, i'm not defending the man that shot this dog in the OP

but perhaps, if we learn nothing from what happened out there, let it at least be an indicator that people are getting really sick of the way dogs are handled on public land

if dog owners don't want problems, there are easy solutions
mtree
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mtree »

Thought I'd pour some gasoline on this thread.

I live in the foothills (not near Boulder). It is not all that uncommon for loose dogs to "disappear". Very few folks will bat an eye. Except for the occasional lost Fido poster, its generally an accepted truth that your loose dog (or cat) is fair game to wildlife, traffic, or an early demise by way of a full metal jacket. My neighbor took his dog to the vet for a limp that didn't go away. Turns out the dog had a .22 bullet in its leg! After I repeatedly warned him about letting his dog run free his response was always, "She's so friendly!".

I've had loose dogs appear on my property and I've come close to taking action while MY dog was restrained outside. Thankfully, I haven't had to. Some folks aren't quite as patient as I am. But if I saw a loose dog attacking wildlife or going after my dog - let alone threatening any neighborhood kids - I would have no issue blasting the beast. Who knows if that dog didn't present a perceived danger to the guy who shot it? Many dog attacks come without alot of warning. No barking. No growling. Quick as lightning. You don't have time to wait and see how it all plays out.

You have ultimate control over your animal. So go ahead and take the leash off your dog at your own peril. Your choice. Just be ready to accept the consequences.

Chew on that bone.
- I didn't say it was your fault. I said I was blaming you.
GreenHorn
Trip Reports (4)

Post by GreenHorn »

Ptglhs wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 8:04 pm Maybe just leave dogs alone if you don't like them. They typcially do the same.
I think we have a winner for the least true statement in the thread.

climbingcue wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 11:28 am I agree that Hikers, Bikers and Dogs should have yearly permits just like my SXS ATV ($25) a year and snowmobile permit ($30.25) per year. It does not have to be super expensive, I think $25 a year would be fair and could go a long way to fixing trails and keeping areas clean. Hikers and Bikers are the ones that have always gotten the free ride. Hunters are the ones that pay the most for access and it helps out all the people that don't pay. BTW: I am not a hunter, but have many friends that are.

Since this thread is all over the place....... I think you can add guns to the items that require annual registration and fees. There would be fewer nut-jobs with an arsenal if they had to pay $100 a piece annually.
LURE
Trip Reports (0)

Post by LURE »

GreenHorn wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 12:47 pm
Since this thread is all over the place....... I think you can add guns to the items that require annual registration and fees. There would be fewer nut-jobs with an arsenal if they had to pay $100 a piece annually.
well not to turn this into a gun debate

but whenever that law passes pretty much all but one of my guns will have been lost in a boating accident :mrgreen:
griddles
14ers: 11 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by griddles »

All this talk about dogs off leash, what about cats? I seem to remember someone killed an off leash cat on a hike a while ago with his hands and he was a hero! What's the difference!?
LURE
Trip Reports (0)

Post by LURE »

griddles wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 12:57 pm All this talk about dogs off leash, what about cats? I seem to remember someone killed an off leash cat on a hike a while ago with his hands and he was a hero! What's the difference!?
society hates cats

those that love them are generally regarded as insane

cats are an actual detriment to many migratory bird populations. i hate feral and outdoor cats

but i am a bit of a sucker for a cute tabby

edit: oh, you're talking about the mountain lion? now i fail to see the comparison. point stands on domestic cats tho
blazintoes
14ers: 58  58 
13ers: 327 3 73
Trip Reports (16)

Post by blazintoes »

Got bit this morning while riding my bike and thought about this thread. Would I have shot the dog that bit me? The quick answer was no. And now after 5 stitches and all morning to think, I still would not have shot the dog. It's not her fault. She felt threatened and I could have stopped and let her by. She was on a leash and I was in a hurry, slowed down a little and didn't give her time to pass. I will stop from now on. We all have to share.
[attachment=0]bite.JPG[/attachment]
Attachments
bite.JPG
bite.JPG (83.91 KiB) Viewed 10074 times
climbingcue
14ers: 58  8  27 
13ers: 317 21 11
Trip Reports (0)

Post by climbingcue »

GreenHorn wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 12:47 pm Since this thread is all over the place....... I think you can add guns to the items that require annual registration and fees. There would be fewer nut-jobs with an arsenal if they had to pay $100 a piece annually.
Concealed Carry Permit already has a fee as well as required training that has a fee in addition to the permit.
Consecutive months with at least one 13er or 14er, 72 months
sigepnader
14ers: 22 
13ers: 52 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by sigepnader »

climbingcue wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 1:26 pm
GreenHorn wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 12:47 pm Since this thread is all over the place....... I think you can add guns to the items that require annual registration and fees. There would be fewer nut-jobs with an arsenal if they had to pay $100 a piece annually.
Concealed Carry Permit already has a fee as well as required training that has a fee in addition to the permit.

This. Thank you, climbingque. We gun owners already pay fees.

While I’m at it what about those with guns illegally? Think they’re paying for a license? Think before you post.
Conor
14ers: 41  6  6 
13ers: 51 1 1
Trip Reports (7)

Post by Conor »

sigepnader wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 2:00 pm
climbingcue wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 1:26 pm

This. Thank you, climbingque. We gun owners already pay fees.

While I’m at it what about those with guns illegally? Think they’re paying for a license? Think before you post.
You could always make the dog lovers argument. If it's not completely enforceable, why even have rules?
ker0uac
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ker0uac »

Can anybody recommend a shooting range in Denver Metro?
Those who travel to mountain-tops are half in love with themselves and half in love with oblivion