Hiker Shoots Off-Leash Dog

Dogs, dogs and even some cats
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
two lunches
14ers: 37  2 
13ers: 59
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Hiker Shoots Off-Leash Dog

Post by two lunches »

timisimaginary wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 2:30 pm btw... just having a dog on a leash doesn't mean you have him under control either. the dog who bit me was on a leash. i was running a loop in a park, i passed by a bench with an old man, his (i presume) grandson, and their little dog. the dog barked and lunged at me every time i ran past them, but it was ok, the old man was holding the leash. then one time i ran past, and inexplicably the old man had handed the dog leash to the kid, who obviously did not have the strength or knowledge to control it properly, so this time when the dog lunged at me, he got far out enough to nip me. i don't blame the kid, i do blame the old man who should have known better than to hand the leash to the kid, especially after the dog had already been exhibiting aggressive behaviours. and when you're on the trail, even if the dog is leashed, you're still going to probably get close enough that the dog could lunge at you, so a leash alone is no guarantee of safety. leashes help, but it's still the dog owner's responsibility to be able to fully control that animal around others.
i don't think people know this. my neighbors bloodhound literally, not figuratively, drags her down the street every single day-- on two leashes. it's incredible to me how many people don't leash-train their dogs.. not that leashes are a blanket solution to any dog-related problem-- ill-behaved humans and animals alike are a problem whether or not they're attached to each other.
“To walk in nature is to witness a thousand miracles.” – Mary Davis
Lioness
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Lioness »

timisimaginary wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 2:30 pm
onebyone wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 11:24 am
Scott P wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 9:45 pm

Unless they rip your guts out. They aren't pets. I've only had one encounter with them that ended up being scary, but it was enough.
No dog no matter how fierce is going to turn down food. Did you try giving it food, or did you just stand there shitting yourself. That was my go to for years, meaning just standing there and shitting myself. lol. Now I use the food trick- it works. btw a grizzly is going to level you at 25 mph and your whole head can fit in its mouth.
We'll just have to disagree on this one.
reminds me of the solution for off-leash dogs described in this article... bascially, when confronted with a (friendly) off-leash dog, he lures it away with treats and takes off running, letting the dog run after him. if the owner truly has command of their unleashed dog, then it shouldn't pose a problem... if they don't, then they'll be in for an unplanned workout. seems like a better way to teach the owner a lesson than shooting the dog, which i'm pretty sure is what motivated the guy who shot this dog. i would've liked to get his side of the story before commenting, but since he didn't feel the need to stick around and give it, that's pretty telling. any responsible gun owner who fires their weapon, and felt justified in doing so, is going to stick around to explain themselves, not run and hide afterwards. i certainly agree there are scenarios in which shooting the dog may be justified, but i doubt this is one of those situations.

for the record, i'm extremely pro-dog and generally anti-gun. i'm also extremely pro-leash and get very upset with people who go around with their dogs unleashed on trails, precisely BECAUSE i'm so pro-dog. it's better for the dog and for everyone else if you keep it leashed in public. your dog can have plenty of fun while still being leashed. i've been bitten by a dog while out running (luckily it was a little dachsund, but it was still enough to draw blood even biting through a pair of jogging pants) and while i've fortunately not encountered a aggressive big dog off-leash on the trails, i get nervous everytime i have to come up on an unleashed dog, because you have no idea what you're in for. everyone THINKS their dog is well-behaved, but very few are justified in that belief.

btw... just having a dog on a leash doesn't mean you have him under control either. the dog who bit me was on a leash. i was running a loop in a park, i passed by a bench with an old man, his (i presume) grandson, and their little dog. the dog barked and lunged at me every time i ran past them, but it was ok, the old man was holding the leash. then one time i ran past, and inexplicably the old man had handed the dog leash to the kid, who obviously did not have the strength or knowledge to control it properly, so this time when the dog lunged at me, he got far out enough to nip me. i don't blame the kid, i do blame the old man who should have known better than to hand the leash to the kid, especially after the dog had already been exhibiting aggressive behaviours. and when you're on the trail, even if the dog is leashed, you're still going to probably get close enough that the dog could lunge at you, so a leash alone is no guarantee of safety. leashes help, but it's still the dog owner's responsibility to be able to fully control that animal around others.
Pretty insensitive solution for people who might not be able to run.
highpilgrim
14ers: 58 
13ers: 84 1
Trip Reports (1)

Post by highpilgrim »

Lioness wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 4:58 pm Pretty insensitive solution for people who might not be able to run.
Bear spray will stop a dog quickly, and likely the selfish owner.

And nothing is dead.
Call on God, but row away from the rocks.
Hunter S Thompson

Walk away from the droning and leave the hive behind.
Dick Derkase
tmud
14ers: 22  1 
13ers: 162 11 1
Trip Reports (2)

Post by tmud »

This is why it is a good reason to carry a gun while hiking. If you shoot my dog, you're leaving the woods in a body bag.
sigepnader
14ers: 22 
13ers: 52 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by sigepnader »

highpilgrim wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 5:44 pm
Lioness wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 4:58 pm Pretty insensitive solution for people who might not be able to run.
Bear spray will stop a dog quickly, and likely the selfish owner.

And nothing is dead.
This dude gets it.

With that being said..

Leave your damn dog at home.

I love dogs. Can’t imagine life without mine but seriously. Leave them home. I was on Baldy in Idaho this weekend. The amount of unleashed dogs was ridiculous. The owners would just let them run around corners/out of eye sight and just smile wen you walked by. Is it ignorance or apathy?
Cruiser
14ers: 50 
Trip Reports (6)

Post by Cruiser »

sigepnader wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 7:30 pmIs it ignorance or apathy?
It's worse than that. Much worse. It's entitlement.
Where ever you are... There you are.
Ptglhs
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 86 3
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Ptglhs »

So many people in this thread say something to the effect of "I love dogs, but they're dangerous, should be leashed, left at home, hit on the head, sprayed with mace, etc."

Maybe just leave dogs alone if you don't like them. They typcially do the same. Leashes don't fix aggressive behavior, they just allow an owner to use their physical strength to restrain a dog. Any dog big enough to actually do damage -viciously assualted by a dachshund? I call BS- is going to be too big for the owner to restrain anyway. I've been around fear biters, trained attack dogs, dogs who were so badly beaten they required a year of rehab, dogs that spent the 1st 3 years of their life in a crate etc. Problems with dogs are almost always problems of people. Shooting something because "well I felt scared" is contemptible. Shooting something because "they weren't following a rule I wanted them to follow," deserves a cactus up the keister.
sigepnader
14ers: 22 
13ers: 52 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by sigepnader »

Ptglhs wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 8:04 pm So many people in this thread say something to the effect of "I love dogs, but they're dangerous, should be leashed, left at home, hit on the head, sprayed with mace, etc."

Maybe just leave dogs alone if you don't like them. They typcially do the same. Leashes don't fix aggressive behavior, they just allow an owner to use their physical strength to restrain a dog. Any dog big enough to actually do damage -viciously assualted by a dachshund? I call BS- is going to be too big for the owner to restrain anyway. I've been around fear biters, trained attack dogs, dogs who were so badly beaten they required a year of rehab, dogs that spent the 1st 3 years of their life in a crate etc. Problems with dogs are almost always problems of people. Shooting something because "well I felt scared" is contemptible. Shooting something because "they weren't following a rule I wanted them to follow," deserves a cactus up the keister.

You’ve mentioned cacti up booties a few times now. I’m intrigued by your fascination with sharp items up rectums.
ker0uac
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ker0uac »

sigepnader wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 7:30 pm This dude gets it.

With that being said..

Leave your damn dog at home.

I love dogs. Can’t imagine life without mine but seriously. Leave them home. I was on Baldy in Idaho this weekend. The amount of unleashed dogs was ridiculous. The owners would just let them run around corners/out of eye sight and just smile wen you walked by. Is it ignorance or apathy?
Dogs love to run offleash, at least those with enough energy to hike. If you love dogs, then you want to give your dog that opportunity. Plus, your dog loves you and wants to be next to you coz that's what they were bred to do. Leaving your dog behind is just heartless. I take my dog out offleash for him not for me. It makes me so happy to see him running around freely and being goofy. I always found Colorado not be very dog friendly, dont know why. In other states I lived it, some federal lands were designated offleash, usually the ones that allowed hunting. Maybe its bc Denver attracts too many yuppies and urbanites who dont understand how to raise dogs.
Those who travel to mountain-tops are half in love with themselves and half in love with oblivion
Ptglhs
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Ptglhs »

sigepnader wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 8:07 pm You’ve mentioned cacti up booties a few times now. I’m intrigued by your fascination with sharp items up rectums.
It started as a hyperbolic attempt at humor. Punisher made an issue of it so I'm rolling with it for this thread. If you wanted to respond you could always quote George Carlin, "No one should ever have anything inserted into their anus which is larger than a fist or less loving than a dildo." He said that in response to a bunch of white cops sodomizing a black man in police custody in the 90s. His name was Abner Louima.
DArcyS
14ers: 58 
13ers: 544
Trip Reports (3)

Post by DArcyS »

Apparently it is of great value to dog owners to take their dogs onto public lands, and that suggests a solution. Dog owners should pay to have their dogs on public lands. Just like campers need to pay for campsites. Hunters need to pay to hunt. Miners need to pay to mine. Fishermen need to pay to fish. Ranchers need to pay to have their cattle graze. Drivers need to pay to drive to the top of Mt. Evans. Hikers need to pay to see Hanging Lake.

If it's that important for a person to have their dog on a hike, I say collect a license fee. Here are sample fees for various hunting licenses in Colorado:

https://cpw.state.co.us/thingstodo/Page ... dFees.aspx

Based upon these fees, I think a $500-1000 annual license is a good starting figure. Whatever negative impacts dogs have on other people and wildlife, at least there is some benefit in collecting fees that can be used to better manage our public lands (or pick any societal need, there's no shortage of ways for the government to spend money). If this forces a sizeable number of people to leave their dogs at home, that has a benefit in creating fewer problematic interactions between dogs and people, wildlife, and other dogs.

And of course, leashless licenses are substantially more than leash licenses. A dog owner wants to treat public lands as their own recreational playground without the concern of others, pay up.

And while we're collecting license fees, dog owners should have to pass an online test that serves to educate dog owners about hiking with dogs.

And dog gps collars should be mandatory.

https://mashable.com/roundup/best-gps-dog-collars/

Enough of these lost dogs -- I'm tired of these sad stories
Ptglhs
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Ptglhs »

DArcyS wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 1:16 am Based upon these fees, I think a $500-1000 annual license is a good starting figure.
Let them eat cake. Jesus, I have rarely heard such an out of touch comment on the internet, and that's really saying something. Sure, we have >10% unemployment, and sure, people in CO are so rent burdened they're spending 60% of their income of rent, but let's charge people 1k to take their dog for a walk.

From "But when you give a banquet, invite the poor, the crippled, the lame, the blind, and you will be blessed. Although they cannot repay you, you will be repaid at the resurrection of the righteous." To "if the untouchable peasants can't pay the tax to be in public then they're too poor to be around decent people."