Suggestions for first 14'er with my Flatlander sister?

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.
Forum rules
Please do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website. For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Shipyard
14ers: List not added

Suggestions for first 14'er with my Flatlander sister?

Post by Shipyard »

Hi. Looking for suggestions for an "easy" (I put in in quotes because IMO no 14ers are truly easy) 14er to take my flatland sister on. She is visiting and will be here about a week, with some lesser hikes in her pocket before we attempt. I have only done two myself (Pikes via Barr and Biernstadt).

I'm thinking Sherman or Handies? I'd like a shorter one for sure. She has done some decent hikes before (Mt. Washington, New Hampshire and the Long Trail) for example, but of course the altitude is a new factor. Any opinions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you, community.
Alpine Guy
14ers: 36

Re: Suggestions for first 14'er with my Flatlander sister?

Post by Alpine Guy »

Grays if you're near Denver and can handle the rough road, and can get an early enough start to find a parking space.
Roll No Rocks
Ptglhs
14ers: 58 8
13ers: 76 3
Trip Reports (2)

Post by Ptglhs »

Sherman is easier and shorter than Grey's. Do it during the week if you can. As far as I know the road is still drivable to 12k.
bigredmachine
14ers: 58
13ers: 24
Trip Reports (1)

Post by bigredmachine »

Capitol from Snowmass for sure...

Joking, please don’t do that
glenmiz
14ers: 58
13ers: 97 1 4
Trip Reports (4)

Post by glenmiz »

Sherman is good, short choice and much shorter drive than Handies from Denver area. Road is rough for 2wd but it can be done.
Aim high to end high
ltlFish99
14ers: 41 2 2
13ers: 51

Post by ltlFish99 »

Torreys was my 1st 14er and I thought it was great.
Lots of people almost anytime, but a weekday should be better.
nunns
14ers: 41
13ers: 4

Post by nunns »

If you want something relatively easy but without huge crowds, you could try either Huron or LaPlata. It sounds like your sister is fairly fit, so as long as she is OK with altitude those would be OK for her, and without the crowds.

Sean Nunn
"Thy righteousness is like the great mountains." --Psalms 36:6
CaptCO
14ers: 58 14
13ers: 45 1
Trip Reports (5)

Post by CaptCO »

I’ve actually got the same situation coming up.. I’m deciding on bierstadt, San Luis, Kelso Ridge, Quandary, Belford, Huron, Castle peak. Sorry I know that’s a lot of options. It’s also noted my sister has been athletic all her life, and will acclimate a few days prior
"It's a thing if you want it to be a thing. What others think of something is irrelevant." -OldSchool

Proof is in the progress, patience is essence; I’m crazy as a fox

"The future no longer belongs to my generation"

DM @Capt_Alec for nudes
Alpine Guy
14ers: 36

Post by Alpine Guy »

I took some inlaws up Bierstat on July 4th and it was such a zoo, I don't think they'll ever do another 14er. Kelso Ridge could be good, as long as as she's the adventurous type and has the background for it. But if you've got someone coming from out of state, why not do one of our beautiful scenic drives deep into the rockies for a more secluded experience?
Roll No Rocks
CaptCO
14ers: 58 14
13ers: 45 1
Trip Reports (5)

Post by CaptCO »

Alpine Guy wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 8:15 pm I took some inlaws up Bierstat on July 4th and it was such a zoo, I don't think they'll ever do another 14er. Kelso Ridge could be good, as long as as she's the adventurous type and has the background for it. But if you've got someone coming from out of state, why not do one of our beautiful scenic drives deep into the rockies for a more secluded experience?
If I can take her up American basin and do Handies.. that’s what I’ll do. Especially since I climbed it in snow and not the standard route. What are good swimming holes in Colorado?
"It's a thing if you want it to be a thing. What others think of something is irrelevant." -OldSchool

Proof is in the progress, patience is essence; I’m crazy as a fox

"The future no longer belongs to my generation"

DM @Capt_Alec for nudes
DeTour
14ers: 40
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (30)

Post by DeTour »

For a relatively vigorous newbie, I say Humboldt, if you have a vehicle that can reach the 4wd trailhead. Not too difficult and bomber views of Crestone Peak and Needle to fire up an appetite for more summits. Even better if you camp at South Colony Lakes.
------------------------------------------------------------------
The only thing that matters is the quality of the light.
DCI Morton (Stanley Tucci), Fortitude
The land is forever.
- Steve Almburg, Illinois centennial farmer
climbingcue
14ers: 58 7 17
13ers: 154 8 9

Post by climbingcue »

nunns wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 4:49 pm If you want something relatively easy but without huge crowds, you could try either Huron or LaPlata. It sounds like your sister is fairly fit, so as long as she is OK with altitude those would be OK for her, and without the crowds.

Sean Nunn
Not this summer, both of those peaks have had boat loads of people climbing them. I was super surprised to drive past la plata’s trailhead at 5am on a Saturday where it had rained all night and the weather was not great. Counted 50 cars
Consecutive months with at least one 14er, 41 months and counting...