Dog Rant

Dogs, dogs and even some cats
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
GreenHorn
Trip Reports (4)

Dog Rant

Post by GreenHorn »

I haven't seen a bad dog owner thread in a while, so....

Here's what I saw on LaPlata today. I caught up to another hiker while ascending at around 11,500. She was taking pictures of her dog who was off the side of the trail digging. When I approached the owner said " Look she got her first mouse." She was very proud of the dog. I looked at the dog and saw what looked like a vole of some sort in her mouth. I just shook my head and continued without engaging. For the next hour, the owner hiked a couple hundred yards behind me, while the dog alternated between pestering me and chasing pika, marmots, and anything else she could find. At one point I suggested the owner put her on a leash, and on several occasions I had to correct the dog from chasing wildlife because the owner wasn't near enough to do so. As an aside, I encountered another perfectly pleasant dog who was very we'll behaved.

If you can't control your beast then put it on a leash or leave it home!

Rant over.
Monster5
14ers: 58  31 
13ers: 289 37
Trip Reports (27)

Re: Dog Rant

Post by Monster5 »

Oh yay.
"The road to alpine climbing is pocked and poorly marked, ending at an unexpectedly closed gate 5 miles from the trailhead." - MP user Beckerich
griddles
14ers: 11 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by griddles »

Well I'll bite. Was camping a couple of weeks ago in a wilderness area, you know the places where you can have dogs, but they are supposed to be on a leash? Well the first day saw 4-6 dogs only 1 on a leash and 2 ran up to me before I saw the owner and started barking. Then the next day about the same number of dogs but 0 on leash. One even jumped on me in some willows. I was told before the dog jumped that it was friendly. Not really sure it's worth getting into it with folks who don't know/care and think their dog is friendly.
Barnold41
14ers: 15 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Barnold41 »

Some people are great dog parents and some aren't. It happens.
nyker
14ers: 58 
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (69)

Post by nyker »

My two cents-

I grew up with German Shepherds and love them and think they're wonderful, very agile and athletic, generally.

Last week in the Adirondacks a guy had an older Shepherd and literally every other boulder he had to pick it up (all 80+lbs) and help it climb the steep slabs and boulders, the dog clearly not having a good time whimpering and whining.
This wasn't a nice trail (don't have any dog pics in it but look at my recent trip report for shots of the terrain).
On several slabs the poor thing started sliding down the slab, probably ripping its pads and the owner sort of grabbed it wherever to prevent it from sliding into the abyss, just not great terrain to bring a dog.
12ersRule
13ers: 157
Trip Reports (4)

Post by 12ersRule »

Woof woof woof woof woof grrrrr grrrrr
Wentzl
14ers: 58  20 
13ers: 55
Trip Reports (49)

Post by Wentzl »

Barnold41 wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 6:52 pm Some people are great dog parents and some aren't. It happens.
There are no "pet parents", just animal owners. But I agree, some of them are worse than others.

https://www.dogsnaturallymagazine.com/a ... et-parent/
Shorter of Breath and One Day Closer . . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZXKgl8turY

"social justice" = injustice
rijaca
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 244 1 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by rijaca »

Dogs will be dogs.

Go dog go.
"A couple more shots of whiskey,
the women 'round here start looking good"
Jon Frohlich
13ers: 162 3
Trip Reports (29)

Post by Jon Frohlich »

I dont disagree with the content. Maya has some thoughts about the bad dog owner.
FB_IMG_1592884379965.jpg
FB_IMG_1592884379965.jpg (102.37 KiB) Viewed 11482 times
angry
14ers: 58  45 
13ers: 231 8
Trip Reports (0)

Post by angry »

12ersRule wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 7:41 pm Woof woof woof woof woof grrrrr grrrrr
I don’t know you were bilingual.
Ptglhs
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 86 3
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Ptglhs »

Jon Frohlich wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 8:06 pm I dont disagree with the content. Maya has some thoughts about the bad dog owner.

FB_IMG_1592884379965.jpg
The look on her face is priceless. "Wtf is this crazy cracker doing taking my photo?"
DArcyS
13ers: 544
Trip Reports (3)

Post by DArcyS »

Just returning from a trip, and I saw a notice for a missing dog at the trailhead. At least we know this missing dog has a chance of survival based upon the La Plata dog being able to catch a mouse. Well, at least for the summer, the prospects might be more dim come winter. Perhaps "animal lovers" should be shown a parade of horror stories to let that sink in and perhaps the conscientious ones might at least think twice about letting there dog run wild. That is, run wild until their impending death.

Indeed, perhaps Bill should have a special section on 14ers.com of missing dog stories. Not "Pets on Peaks," but "Lost Dogs on Peaks." Just to be crystal clear on the risk.