Summit Registers

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Re: Summit Registers

Post by Scott P »

xcrunner365 wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 5:48 pm 14er registers are not worth the time frankly, if they exist at all. On the other hand registers on obscure 9ers, 10ers, 11ers, etc. are definitely worth the trouble.
Yes, this. 14er registers are pointless because so many people climb the peaks.

They are interesting on obscure peaks because you can see how many years or decades it has been since the last person signed them.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
Monster5
14ers: 58  31 
13ers: 289 37
Trip Reports (27)

Post by Monster5 »

Trash is trash. But this type feeds my ego stoke and curiosity, so I'm cool with it.
"The road to alpine climbing is pocked and poorly marked, ending at an unexpectedly closed gate 5 miles from the trailhead." - MP user Beckerich
Jay521
14ers: 42  10 
13ers: 175 22
Trip Reports (56)

Post by Jay521 »

My all time favorite - Ken Nolan and Teresa Gergen... Doesn't get much better than that.
Register1.jpg
Register1.jpg (74.65 KiB) Viewed 2943 times
I take the mountain climber's approach to housekeeping - don't look down
rijaca
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 244 1 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by rijaca »

Jay521 wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:38 am My all time favorite - Ken Nolan and Teresa Gergen... Doesn't get much better than that.

Register1.jpg
A Mike Garratt placed register!
MG stats.JPG
MG stats.JPG (66.47 KiB) Viewed 2916 times
"A couple more shots of whiskey,
the women 'round here start looking good"
Jay521
14ers: 42  10 
13ers: 175 22
Trip Reports (56)

Post by Jay521 »

rijaca wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 10:10 am
Jay521 wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:38 am My all time favorite - Ken Nolan and Teresa Gergen... Doesn't get much better than that.
A Mike Garratt placed register!
Nice catch!!
I take the mountain climber's approach to housekeeping - don't look down
cougar
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 135 2
Trip Reports (10)

Post by cougar »

I've found many Mike Garratt registers on obscure peaks, a lot have been there a while. I found one Saturday dating back to 1999, and he signed it twice, noting his repeat visit. I found one or two placed by Gerry Roach going back almost as far. Also have seen the aforementioned famous names together in many registers.

Other neat ones are the cast metal NPS tubes with "NPS" stamped on them I've seen on a couple remote 12er summits in RMNP.

They seem to be gone from 14ers, understandably. Fun to still see them on 13ers but they tend to not hold up. I've seen a lot of tubes with smashed endcaps and wet pages or nothing inside, but still anchored with the cable. Longs has a big 4 foot steel pipe but didn't see anything in it except a rope.

Somehow other bigger western peaks and state highpoints big and small have big registers, mailboxes or ammo canisters, and these seem to be maintained with fresh notebooks. I even found socks in the one on Humphreys Peak. The big ones are cool, covered with different decals. I also liked the photo stash on 8er Palisade, which has labeled pictures of all the peaks and landmarks you can see from the summit. Big diary books in the one on Pisgah above Idaho Springs.
http://www.listsofjohn.com/m/cougar

"If we don't change direction, we'll end up where we're going."
"Bushwhacking is like a box of chocolates - you never know what you're gonna get."
"Don't give up on your dreams, stay asleep"
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

cougar wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 10:53 am I've found many Mike Garratt registers on obscure peaks, a lot have been there a while.
Mike Garrat and Bob Martin have both left a lot of registers (especially in baby food bottles) on remote peaks around the state. Usually in NW Colorado, the registers have been left by one of the two.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
Wentzl
14ers: 58  20 
13ers: 55
Trip Reports (49)

Post by Wentzl »

Thanks for the input.

I plan to pack out the trash and leave a nice new notebook for the plenty of people who still might get a kick out of the novelty of signing a register in a place they are proud to have reached.

This is what I had in mind to do anyway, just started this thread to see if tossing register contents was any sort of taboo. Unless I am missing something, it appears not.
Shorter of Breath and One Day Closer . . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZXKgl8turY

"Social Justice" = Injustice
Woodie Hopper
14ers: 58 
13ers: 75
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Woodie Hopper »

Wentzl wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 8:22 pm Woodie. Thank you for one of the more abstruse postings I have seen.

Seriously. No idea what to make of it.
Sir, your wording seems demeaning. If you just wanted to know my meaning, you could have just asked.

To be clear I was referring to different opinions regarding summit markers and logs. Ever come across cut cables that were used to secure a summit log canister? Some people are so incensed by them they’ll bring cutters to remove them. Others are bummed when they can’t find them to record their summit.

Personally if they weren’t there to begin with I wouldn’t miss them. I think it’s mean spirited that there are some people who feel entitled to damage or remove them just because they personally don’t like them when others enjoy them or for record keeping.
Wentzl
Trip Reports (49)

Post by Wentzl »

No offense intended. Just a good excuse to use the word abstruse.

Bombay2Boulder
14ers: 56  3 
13ers: 269 1
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Bombay2Boulder »

Wentzl wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 4:02 pm Thanks for the input.

I plan to pack out the trash and leave a nice new notebook for the plenty of people who still might get a kick out of the novelty of signing a register in a place they are proud to have reached.

This is what I had in mind to do anyway, just started this thread to see if tossing register contents was any sort of taboo. Unless I am missing something, it appears not.
Why take out the existing summit entries? Seems a bit excess, you can just leave a new notebook in there. Some of us enjoy reading previous entries. If the paper is still readable there is absolutely no reason to remove it just for placing a notebook.
Wentzl
Trip Reports (49)

Post by Wentzl »

No, you have not seen the summit register on Sneffels. It is an ammo box, literally stuffed with paper. Crumpled up, torn, mostly indecipherable mess. You could not stuff a matchbook in with what is there, let along a notebook.

But that is why I started the thread. Anyone want what's in there, I am happy to share. Or if the majority goes the other way, I just leave it alone.