Columbia trail

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
schumi248
14ers: 17 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (0)

Columbia trail

Post by schumi248 »

Is the new trail on Columbia finished yet?? If it is, it’s on my list this summer.
Jim Davies
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 67
Trip Reports (5)

Re: Columbia trail

Post by Jim Davies »

They're supposed to finish this summer, but I believe CFI is encouraging people to use the lower portion. https://www.14ers.org/what-we-do/curren ... -projects/
Climbing at altitude is like hitting your head against a brick wall — it's great when you stop. -- Chris Darwin
I'm pretty tired. I think I'll go home now. -- Forrest Gump
yardman
14ers: 48  2  3 
13ers: 17
Trip Reports (0)

Post by yardman »

The new Columbia trail CFI has been working to build for the past four years is open! Keep in mind that we'll have a crew continuing to build out new structures and more clearly delineate the upper part of the trail. Thus, expect to see people working on the trail and please stop if asked to do so as work requires. Otherwise, enjoy the difference a ton of work has made on what was one of the worst 14er routes in the state.
justiner
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138
Trip Reports (40)

Post by justiner »

Was all CFI volunteer work nixed?
wineguy
14ers: 58  3 
13ers: 143
Trip Reports (7)

Post by wineguy »

yardman wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 4:58 pm The new Columbia trail CFI has been working to build for the past four years is open! Keep in mind that we'll have a crew continuing to build out new structures and more clearly delineate the upper part of the trail. Thus, expect to see people working on the trail and please stop if asked to do so as work requires. Otherwise, enjoy the difference a ton of work has made on what was one of the worst 14er routes in the state.
Thanks Lloyd, I'm looking forward to my second ascent of Columbia this summer.
"Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs. I am haunted by waters." - Norman Maclean
DeTour
14ers: 43 
13ers: 6
Trip Reports (30)

Post by DeTour »

justiner wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 5:18 pm Was all CFI volunteer work nixed?
Sadly, yes: https://www.14ers.org/how-you-can-help/ ... storation/
------------------------------------------------------------------
Once torched by truth, a little thing like faith is easy.
Swede Landing, 'Peace Like a River'
The land is forever.
- Steve Almburg, Illinois centennial farmer
nunns
14ers: 43 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (0)

Post by nunns »

yardman wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 4:58 pm The new Columbia trail CFI has been working to build for the past four years is open! Keep in mind that we'll have a crew continuing to build out new structures and more clearly delineate the upper part of the trail. Thus, expect to see people working on the trail and please stop if asked to do so as work requires. Otherwise, enjoy the difference a ton of work has made on what was one of the worst 14er routes in the state.
Good on CFI for all of your hard work, especially on Columbia!!!
I climbed in 2002 and not only was the screefest not very enjoyable it probably wasn't great for the mountain either, so personally I am thankful for all of the hard work that has/is being put in to improve things.

Sean Nunn
"Thy righteousness is like the great mountains." --Psalms 36:6
two lunches
14ers: 37  2 
13ers: 59
Trip Reports (0)

Post by two lunches »

best news i've heard all week! can't wait to repeat this one
“To walk in nature is to witness a thousand miracles.” – Mary Davis
disentangled
Trip Reports (0)

Post by disentangled »

stephakett wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 8:17 am best news i've heard all week!
likewise!! looking forward to doing it this summer!!
Molasses
14ers: 26 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Molasses »

Some quick feedback on the new trail... it is FANTASTIC!! I got to use it last year for my descent of Columbia on Labor Day. At the time, CFI recommended using the old trail to summit, but the new trail for descent. They did an incredible job with the new trail... LOTS of work spent putting in new steps, and making it a joy to hike. There is still a section between the top of the new trail and the ridge to the summit that is a scree-fest, but it is only a small section to manage through. Exceptional work!
Altitude High
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Altitude High »

Altitude High
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Altitude High »

But I'm not sure if CFI's new trail starts at the same place as the west slopes route listed on this site (link above).