Best vehicle for 4wd trailheads

Trailhead condition requests, questions, alerts, etc.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Iguru
14ers: 18 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (1)

Re: Best vehicle for 4wd trailheads

Post by Iguru »

My post(s) in this thread have more to do with describing vehicle capability rather than reliability. Yes, I have had to replace the starter, the power steering pump and the alternator after all those miles on my Jeep. Again capability not reliability. But a 20 year old vehicle that still performs on road and off road is pretty good in my book. Even if some repairs that don't break the bank are necessary. It's a Jeep, most of us Jeepers are capable of wrenching out of necessity, It goes with the territory. :) We take the bad with the very good.
I gotta get me an Avatar.
blakhawk
Trip Reports (0)

Post by blakhawk »

When I say Jeep's I mean wranglers,or even an XJ. And I should have thrown one more word in that sentence. And that's can. Jeep's CAN last as long as Toyotas(I'm sure you wouldn't have had a problem with that statement Scott). And many of them do. Look at how many older wranglers and XJs you see driving around. I have an 03 and a 04 that are waaaay cleaner(zero rust underneath) than many 3-5 year old Toyotas and other vehicles that will still be driving down the road in 10 years when those newer ones will be sitting in the junkyard already. Yes I know Fiat owns wranglers,but that's where it stops. All the other "Jeep's" other than the Grand Cherokee are basically Fiat based platforms. Not the same. I don't read to heavily thru "numbers" glasses like some people do. There's a lot more to it than just numbers to me.

It's also futile to try and debate with someone who doesn't get Jeep's(wranglers),and vice versa. For us there super easy to work on your self,and are an adults Lego set. With a clean body and frame you can make a Jeep last a looooong time. And it's real easy to keep those 2 base things in good shape. Cus everything else is easily removeable and replaceable to us. They have the biggest aftermarket and parts following out there for the most part. Parts are easy to come by here in the United States. Outside of our country Toyota does win there tho. You realize that Jeep's are a HUGE hobby unto it's self right? People who like to wrench,or work on there own vehicles fit well with them. Heck I don't even consider myself one or those people,but I know for a FACT I can make my jeeps last a damn long time tho. And that's just by keeping it clean,and routinely maintained.

Any problemos with that? Lol.
Trotter
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 220 2 8
Trip Reports (10)

Post by Trotter »

blakhawk wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 8:47 am When I say Jeep's I mean wranglers,or even an XJ. And I should have thrown one more word in that sentence. And that's can. Jeep's CAN last as long as Toyotas(I'm sure you wouldn't have had a problem with that statement Scott). And many of them do. Look at how many older wranglers and XJs you see driving around. I have an 03 and a 04 that are waaaay cleaner(zero rust underneath) than many 3-5 year old Toyotas and other vehicles that will still be driving down the road in 10 years when those newer ones will be sitting in the junkyard already. Yes I know Fiat owns wranglers,but that's where it stops. All the other "Jeep's" other than the Grand Cherokee are basically Fiat based platforms. Not the same. I don't read to heavily thru "numbers" glasses like some people do. There's a lot more to it than just numbers to me.

It's also futile to try and debate with someone who doesn't get Jeep's(wranglers),and vice versa. For us there super easy to work on your self,and are an adults Lego set. With a clean body and frame you can make a Jeep last a looooong time. And it's real easy to keep those 2 base things in good shape. Cus everything else is easily removeable and replaceable to us. They have the biggest aftermarket and parts following out there for the most part. Parts are easy to come by here in the United States. Outside of our country Toyota does win there tho. You realize that Jeep's are a HUGE hobby unto it's self right? People who like to wrench,or work on there own vehicles fit well with them. Heck I don't even consider myself one or those people,but I know for a FACT I can make my jeeps last a damn long time tho. And that's just by keeping it clean,and routinely maintained.

Any problemos with that? Lol.
Jeeps typically don't last as long as toyotas. period. Regardless of how much you love them, or if they are a hobby, etc.

And thats coming from a jeep owner.
After climbing a great hill, one only finds that there are many more hills to climb. -Nelson Mandela
Whenever I climb I am followed by a dog called Ego. -Nietzsche
blakhawk
Trip Reports (0)

Post by blakhawk »

I think some are totally missing my point. The human factor does play a big role in how long a vehicle will go/last. You can give the right guy a problematic jeep who fixes it himself,and makes it last for 60 years. Then give the best Toyota has ever made to the wrong person,and it could be dead,or a totally rusted out worthless piece of crap in less than 10 years.

@Trotter...the key word you used is "typically". Which I won't debate that. But like I said tho some Jeep's CAN last as long as toyotas,and many do. All the ones you see still driving around are enough proof to me. Maybe not to some on here tho???
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

blakhawk wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 8:47 am Yes I know Fiat owns wranglers,but that's where it stops. All the other "Jeep's" other than the Grand Cherokee are basically Fiat based platforms. Not the same.
The motor (at least the turbo, which is now the standard motor) and many other parts from the Wrangler are made in Italy by Fiat.

I actually like the new motor (I test drove a Rubicon a few months ago) and it is fuel efficient (by the standards of a real off vehicle).

It has had several problems though.

Anyway, you are right that Jeeps can last long, but usually only with a lot of repairs. You will definitely repair them more than most Toyotas.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
blakhawk
Trip Reports (0)

Post by blakhawk »

Scott P wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 10:27 am
blakhawk wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 8:47 am Yes I know Fiat owns wranglers,but that's where it stops. All the other "Jeep's" other than the Grand Cherokee are basically Fiat based platforms. Not the same.
The motor (at least the turbo, which is now the standard motor) and many other parts from the Wrangler are made in Italy by Fiat.

I actually like the new motor (I test drove a Rubicon a few months ago) and it is fuel efficient (by the standards of a real off vehicle).

Anyway, you are right that Jeeps can last long, but usually only with a lot of repairs. You will definitely repair them more than most Toyotas.
Most opt for the pentastar(3.6)...which was made here (and a well proven engine)untill they moved it to Mexico a couple years ago. I had a 2014 JK and a 2018 JLU with that engine and they are solid. I'm assuming you drove the 2.0 then? So far they're doing good,but I still don't like everything that's added to it(more things to go wrong and fix),and the way they ran the lines and wires underneath. And yes..Both engines can get good mpgs for what they are. I averaged a god honest 24-25 in my 2018 work/city commuting,or highway trips. I had zero issues with my 2018 btw,and owned it for 14 months(I know..not long enough for a reliability test..lol). The whole "steering" issue is blown outta proportion in my opinion. A simple test drive will reveal if it even does or doesn't. That's the only real "big" issue with the new ones. Everything else is nitpicking hairs like every other vehicle gets from people. Im a member in a few forums and see it all.

I was making sure that no one was meaning or saying a Jeep can't ever last as long as a Toyota when that's simply not true. There's too many out there yet still driving around. I know in the mountains you see a lot of 1st n 2nd gen Tacoma's n 4runners,XJs,TJs,n YJs still to this day(I love seeing them all still going)...n for Good reasons. They are all "good" solid vehicles that do well in those environments,and can all last a long time if cared for. Sure,the numbers lean towards Toyota,but there's still plenty other makes n models out there as well that "can" go the distance too.

Btw
The average person owns a vehicle for 6 years (so who cares if it goes for a couple decades or more anyways...lol),and the average age of vehicles on the road today is around 11 years old.

And I hope I'm not coming off as a Toyota hater/basher. Cus I'm not. I actually like tacos n runners. Just defending the Jeep's is all,and there's more to it than numbers,stats,and biased car reviewers.
AlexeyD
14ers: 44  4  2 
Trip Reports (3)

Post by AlexeyD »

Iguru wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 8:24 pmIf they still made the old body style Cherokee, I would buy another one
They don't, though...the new Cherokee is a completely different vehicle, it's basically a mid-sized crossover, more power and towing capacity than a Subaru but no real advantage off-road. The TrailHawk trim may be an exception (never drove one, just hearsay), but for nearly twice the new selling price of a base-model Forester, it seems highly doubtful that you're really adding that much capability realistically.

I suppose the other option I'd add to the mix would be the later-model xTerra. I know they discontinued it in 2015, but that's still new enough that one should be able to find something with relatively low miles and in good condition. Again, never tried it, but if I were comparing various out-of-the-factory off-road capable vehicles I'd probably at least put that on my radar.
JephgonnaSteph
14ers: 15  1  7 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (0)

Post by JephgonnaSteph »

Toyota fj cruiser... Can pretty much get you to any trailheads in CO
blakhawk
Trip Reports (0)

Post by blakhawk »

AlexeyD wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 12:50 pm
Iguru wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 8:24 pmIf they still made the old body style Cherokee, I would buy another one
They don't, though...the new Cherokee is a completely different vehicle, it's basically a mid-sized crossover, more power and towing capacity than a Subaru but no real advantage off-road. The TrailHawk trim may be an exception (never drove one, just hearsay), but for nearly twice the new selling price of a base-model Forester, it seems highly doubtful that you're really adding that much capability realistically.

The trailhawk trim Cherokee will out wheel a Forester based on my personal experiences. A real 4lo transfer case,rear locker,and a pretty good crawl ratio is why. It'll climb steeper stuff and hold traction(wheel spin) better because of those. Now if that extra cost is worth it for you is up to that person to decide.
AlexeyD
14ers: 44  4  2 
Trip Reports (3)

Post by AlexeyD »

blakhawk wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 1:10 pmThe trailhawk trim Cherokee will out wheel a Forester based on my personal experiences. A real 4lo transfer case,rear locker,and a pretty good crawl ratio is why. It'll climb steeper stuff and hold traction(wheel spin) better because of those. Now if that extra cost is worth it for you is up to that person to decide.
Yes, I already acknowledged that it will. But we're talking about a 200% price premium - is the difference really that profound? And yes, price is absolutely a consideration for most buyers, particularly when we're starting to get into the close to 50K range.
mtree
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mtree »

I'm not going to read through this entire thread so forgive me if I'm missing or repeating something.

To the OP: You're going to get a lot of folks adamant about their vehicle preference. Take it all with a grain of salt. Its mostly based on personal preference and loyalty to their brand. Its not really backed by anything else...contrary to all the statistics and vitals they'll spew forth.

There are lots of vehicles which will get you up the 14er trailheads. It just depends on what you like and if its going to be your primary vehicle. I'd say Toyota, Nissan, Jeep (Cherokee or Wrangler), Chevy/GMC, Ford, Mercedes, and Land Rover all make respectable off-road vehicles. I'm sure there are plenty others. To get the most out of your choice, you want a few things: Good clearance (probably #1), 4x4 capability (however you define it), good tires, a decent turning radius and not too big. The rest is gravy.

I've had an older '80s Ford Explorer and it got me everywhere I wanted to go. I've had a couple Jeep Wranglers (2 door) and a GMC Envoy in the past. Only the Envoy had clearance and 4x4 limitations. I had another Ford Explorer at one point, but it was way too large. I now have a 2008 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited. Each had their own quirks. As for reliability, well, they all did fine. One of the Jeeps was a nightmare, but I bought it used and it was beat on and the shyster I bought it from claimed it had a new clutch which was actually just a rebuilt or used part. Otherwise, I'd say my most reliable and longest owned is my current Rubicon. The only issue I've ever had was replacing a fuel injector. Otherwise its been a rock.

So take that for what's its worth. Test drive a bunch and see what works for you. I don't think there's a more personal choice of "hiking" equipment than your vehicle. Its only exceeded by your choice of footwear. And maybe your hiking partners!
- I didn't say it was your fault. I said I was blaming you.
mtn_hound
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mtn_hound »

blakhawk wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 11:11 am
Scott P wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 10:27 am

Most opt for the pentastar(3.6)...which was made here (and a well proven engine)untill they moved it to Mexico a couple years ago. I had a 2014 JK and a 2018 JLU with that engine and they are solid. I'm assuming you drove the 2.0 then? So far they're doing good,but I still don't like everything that's added to it(more things to go wrong and fix),and the way they ran the lines and wires underneath. And yes..Both engines can get good mpgs for what they are. I averaged a god honest 24-25 in my 2018 work/city commuting,or highway trips. I had zero issues with my 2018 btw,and owned it for 14 months(I know..not long enough for a reliability test..lol). The whole "steering" issue is blown outta proportion in my opinion. A simple test drive will reveal if it even does or doesn't. That's the only real "big" issue with the new ones. Everything else is nitpicking hairs like every other vehicle gets from people. Im a member in a few forums and see it all.

I was making sure that no one was meaning or saying a Jeep can't ever last as long as a Toyota when that's simply not true. There's too many out there yet still driving around. I know in the mountains you see a lot of 1st n 2nd gen Tacoma's n 4runners,XJs,TJs,n YJs still to this day(I love seeing them all still going)...n for Good reasons. They are all "good" solid vehicles that do well in those environments,and can all last a long time if cared for. Sure,the numbers lean towards Toyota,but there's still plenty other makes n models out there as well that "can" go the distance too.

Btw
The average person owns a vehicle for 6 years (so who cares if it goes for a couple decades or more anyways...lol),and the average age of vehicles on the road today is around 11 years old.

And I hope I'm not coming off as a Toyota hater/basher. Cus I'm not. I actually like tacos n runners. Just defending the Jeep's is all,and there's more to it than numbers,stats,and biased car reviewers.

Haha the "newest" car I've ever bought was 12 years old with 120K at the time. And it's not because I couldn't afford something newer, I just would rather save my money or spend it elsewhere. Most cars, regardless of brand, have a lot of life left in them when the original owner decides they're toast.