Glissading Accident Horn's Peak (Sangres)

Threads related to Colorado mountaineering accidents but please keep it civil and respectful. Friends and relatives of fallen climbers will be reading these posts.
Forum rules
Please be respectful when posting - family and friends of fallen climbers might be reading this forum.
FireOnTheMountain
14ers: 53  1  23 
13ers: 269 29
Trip Reports (23)

Re: Glissading Accident Horn's Peak (Sangres)

Post by FireOnTheMountain »

CaptCO wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 7:52 amDid they not read the avalanche risk assessment? I may be new but atleast I learn from my mistakes.
As a self professed noob, you should talk less and observe more. Just a thought.
Everyday is a G r A t E f U L Day here in the ID...?
RobLowe
14ers: 58  6  48 
13ers: 181 1 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by RobLowe »

CaptCO wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 10:14 pm One word comes to mind.. lazy
Alright. So when you ripped on the poor guy who lost his legs to frostbite in October/November on Shavano, I was willing to assume it was ignorance that caused you to so rudely make fun of his route-finding.

That’s called Hanlon’s razor: Never assume malice when you can assume incompetence (or ignorance or stupidity). But now, seeing as you are calling this unfortunate and unlucky person lazy, I have to say, you’re just not a good human. Hanlon’s razor is out the door. Stop being so self-absorbed. You have no idea what you’re are talking about. You weren’t there.

+1 to pfiore
A man who has no imagination has no wings

IG: rlmbarlow
greenonion
14ers: 50  1 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by greenonion »

CaptCO wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 8:35 am
FireOnTheMountain wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 8:34 am
CaptCO wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 7:52 amDid they not read the avalanche risk assessment? I may be new but atleast I learn from my mistakes.
As a self professed noob, you should talk less and observe more. Just a thought.
Will do, I’ll see how long I can refrain.
JUST. BE. QUIET. You haven't learned jack based on some of your responses.
Monster5
14ers: 58  31 
13ers: 290 37
Trip Reports (27)

Post by Monster5 »

That CAIC report is pretty informative and provides more information than we typically have when speculation occurs on an incident.

While I'm glad the person was rescued and hope they do well, I think they and their group have likely learned some valuable lessons from it, as most of us do with our own mishaps.
"The road to alpine climbing is pocked and poorly marked, ending at an unexpectedly closed gate 5 miles from the trailhead." - MP user Beckerich
Dan_Suitor
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 90
Trip Reports (3)

Post by Dan_Suitor »

I found out this morning that I know the individual who was injured. She is a very experienced climber and knows a hell of a lot more about mountain safety than those who have made disparaging comments on this forum. I will not divulge who it, but she is in surgery this morning with a good prognosis.
Century Bound, eventually.
12ersRule
14ers: 58 
13ers: 157
Trip Reports (4)

Post by 12ersRule »

CaptCO wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 7:52 am Did they not read the avalanche risk assessment? I may be new but atleast I learn from my mistakes. Best wishes for a full recovery if seriously injured
CaptCo.png
CaptCo.png (156.99 KiB) Viewed 3364 times
cottonmountaineering
14ers: 58  7  18 
13ers: 180 39 31
Trip Reports (1)

Post by cottonmountaineering »

I saw this article had some additional photos and info

"According to the Colorado Information Center’s preliminary report, the slide occurred at about 2:45 PM on Saturday after a group of seven hikers left the peak’s northeast ridge to glissade down a snow-filled gully."
https://www.outtherecolorado.com/hiker- ... rado-peak/

Avalanche forecast was considerable with a special avalanche watch notice
Dangerous wet avalanche conditions continue. The snowpack is taking on a lot of heat and natural avalanches are running each day, especially in steep and rocky terrain. To stay safe in the backcountry, start and end your day early. Have a solid escape plan that uses low-angle terrain to get back to the trailhead if the snowpack is wetter and less supportable than you thought it would be. If you intend on recreating in steep terrain, open slopes without rocks and a deep snowpack are safer options than rocky, thin, constricted terrain.

Site
Slope Aspect: SE
Site Elevation: 12400 ft
Slope Angle: 36 °
Slope Characteristic: Gully/Couloir
Squirrellysquirrel
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Squirrellysquirrel »

Monster5 wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 9:07 am That CAIC report is pretty informative and provides more information than we typically have when speculation occurs on an incident.

While I'm glad the person was rescued and hope they do well, I think they and their group have likely learned some valuable lessons from it, as most of us do with our own mishaps.
Agreed. The snow gully (at a glance) did look deceiving, however:
  • CAIC issued a red warning for last weekend, well in advance to the incident, and provided a detailed report citing all snow as potentially suspect.
    The unconsolidated snow under wet slab has been a persistent issue this spring on upper slopes (see picture taken early March 2020 in N San Juans as around 12.4k; two hard slab crusts atop 2.5 feet of unconsolidated snow... and we’ve had more snowfall since that time with warming temps). I’ve only seen this snow pack become more and more unstable, and took CAIC’s warning to heart.
I appreciate information on sites like these to help prepare/avoid/modify a climb, also recommend taking an avy course or two to determine snow quality on site. With that said, I’m not immune to making poor judgment calls on occasion when it comes to the remaining element of unpredictable qualities for snow, weather, animal behavior, and terrain. Ironically, it’s the unpredictable element that makes the adventure genuine and not cookie-cuttered.

I agree with Monster that I hope some valuable lessons were learned.
Attachments
EFD73BC4-4444-4C23-B4B0-F84359E5BC24.jpeg
EFD73BC4-4444-4C23-B4B0-F84359E5BC24.jpeg (48.42 KiB) Viewed 3319 times
"The successful warrior is the average man with laser-like focus." ~ Bruce Lee
Eli Boardman
14ers: 58  1  15 
13ers: 18 1
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Eli Boardman »

I never would have guessed something like that would slide, very informative and good to know. It <looks> like the snow was only a few inches deep where it broke. Even when it did break, it's surprising to me that such a benign-looking starting zone could carry someone. I guess all it has to do is knock off your balance.

Anyway, definitely a good heads-up for those of us (particularly myself) who would have probably thought that slope was not a concern (yes I know the angle).
CheapCigarMan
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 108 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by CheapCigarMan »

Same thing happened on "Lackawanna" last month on the 25th. Same slope angle. Same depth. Only difference is thankfully, the skier that caused it didn't get hurt. When I saw it on my descent I was amazed at how much power and force these slides have. As what seemed to be such a small slide, only a few inches deep. Truly amazing and terrifying to think.
https://www.14ers.com/php14ers/peakstat ... cnum=15851
I should be on a mountain
supranihilest
14ers: 58  42 
13ers: 709 1 8
Trip Reports (113)

Post by supranihilest »

CheapCigarMan wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 10:52 am Same thing happened on "Lackawanna" last month on the 25th. Same slope angle. Same depth. Only difference is thankfully, the skier that caused it didn't get hurt.
https://www.14ers.com/php14ers/peakstat ... cnum=15851
There are two commonalities between the report mentioned here, for "Lackawanna", and the accident on Horn:
  1. Warm, wet snow avalanches
  2. I am in the vicinity
Take from that what you will. :lol:
jmanner
14ers: 58  28  10 
13ers: 55 14 3
Trip Reports (15)

Post by jmanner »

CaptCO wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 7:52 am Did they not read the avalanche risk assessment? I may be new but atleast I learn from my mistakes. Best wishes for a full recovery if seriously injured
Hang on, this guy has to get rescued off of Belford?! He’s now on here taking s**t about a rescue?
A man has got to know his limitations.-Dr. Jonathan Hemlock or Harry Callahan or something F' it: http://youtu.be/lpzqQst-Sg8

'Life is too short to ski groomers'

"That man's only desire was to stand, once only, on the summit of that glorious wedge of rock...I think anyone who loves the mountains as much as that can claim to be a mountaineer, too."-Hermann Buhl, Nanga Parbat Pilgrimage