Best vehicle for 4wd trailheads

Trailhead condition requests, questions, alerts, etc.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
TomPierce
Trip Reports (2)

Re: Best vehicle for 4wd trailheads

Post by TomPierce »

I have a 4Runner and love it. I think all models are good on legit 4wd roads, some models are great. But it's based on a truck platform so if you're used to driving a more car-like vehicle (car or de-tuned SUV) you might find the ride a bit clunky. There's also a good market for upgraded parts, e.g. heavy duty skid plates, which I highly recommend for tougher roads. The length is good for sleeping in the back like a camper if you're about 5'9" or less. As you've mentioned, Toyota reliability is very good. One downside: Probably because of everything I've mentioned, at least here in Colorado resale value is pretty high, i.e. you're probably not going to find a good 4Runner at a steal price. But hey, maybe, certainly worth looking.

Good luck shopping!

-Tom
crowdsurf
14ers: 46  2 
13ers: 11 3
Trip Reports (0)

Post by crowdsurf »

4 Runners are pretty sweet. I own one as well. Super reliable. I sleep in mine at the trailheads and I'm 6'1". I tend to think Honda makes better small vehicles than 4wd cars but thats my opinion. Don't get a Subaru.

Sorry to hear about your elk. That's the real loss.
"Thin air is addictive. The more I climb at altitude the more I realize I'm not in it totally for the view, or the exercise, or the company. Often, it's for the air. And I find myself judging a climb based on how strong my air felt." -from 14ers.com user tedeliason
angry
14ers: 58  45 
13ers: 231 8
Trip Reports (0)

Post by angry »

My car (2016 Honda HRV) just got totaled last month. Someone clipped me when I was changing lanes on I-25 at the exit near my house. Anyhow, I was also looking at 4Runners. Didn't like the Pilot. The problem is that most used 4Runners here seem to be overpriced. I looked at 10...10!!! Ugh, all either had rust on the chassis, over 200K miles, or some hail damage. I haven't had a car payment in over 10 years and wasn't about to have one now. So I looked at other options. I know you said you aren't interested in anything else. Not sure if you are planning to buy used, but you are looking at getting an older 4Runner if you are wanting to spend under 15K. Even then, you might also need to put some work into it. I ended up getting a 2014 Subaru Forester.
SchralpTheGnar
14ers: 51  49  1 
13ers: 38 30
Trip Reports (22)

Post by SchralpTheGnar »

We have a pilot and 4Runner and I love them both, but I think the best all around vehicle for Colorado is the outback, but that doesn’t work well for a family of 5
blakhawk
Trip Reports (0)

Post by blakhawk »

Jeep Wrangler...end of thread. :-"
Cruiser
14ers: 50 
Trip Reports (6)

Post by Cruiser »

Wranglers have gotta be among the most enjoyable ways of getting to the th but I can't sleep in the back of my jku. Dunno if the seats fold flat to make a long enough space in the newer ones. At 6' I could sleep flat in the back of my 2nd gen Xterra and it had no trouble getting to the th's.
Where ever you are... There you are.
blakhawk
Trip Reports (0)

Post by blakhawk »

Cruiser wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 12:44 pm Wranglers have gotta be among the most enjoyable ways of getting to the th but I can't sleep in the back of my jku. Dunno if the seats fold flat to make a long enough space in the newer ones. At 6' I could sleep flat in the back of my 2nd gen Xterra and it had no trouble getting to the th's.
I had a jlu(newer ones),and im 6'2 and easily slept in the back. Could even fit me and my wife back there and did a couple times. Traded it for another TJ(got 2),I like the older ones for many reasons.

I also have a Kawasaki klx250(basically a road legal dirt bike). Between that and my Jeep's they take me anywhere the hell I wanna go . \:D/
IntrepidXJ
14ers: 34 
13ers: 63
Trip Reports (90)

Post by IntrepidXJ »

Cruiser wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 12:44 pm Wranglers have gotta be among the most enjoyable ways of getting to the th but I can't sleep in the back of my jku. Dunno if the seats fold flat to make a long enough space in the newer ones. At 6' I could sleep flat in the back of my 2nd gen Xterra and it had no trouble getting to the th's.
I'm 6'5" and sleep in the back of my JKU (with a fridge in the back taking up half the space) all the time, and I find it very comfortable. Just have to push the passenger seat all the way forward.
Randy Langstraat | ADVENTR.co
myfeetrock
14ers: 37  1 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (0)

Post by myfeetrock »

I'll see how this works this summer.
Attachments
thumbnail_20200410_135344 (1).jpg
thumbnail_20200410_135344 (1).jpg (101.77 KiB) Viewed 5968 times
cottonmountaineering
14ers: 58  7  18 
13ers: 178 38 31
Trip Reports (1)

Post by cottonmountaineering »

The 3rd gen 4runner, and Xterra with the 4 liter are perfect. Jeep wrangler if you want to spend more on maintenance, the honda pilot looks to have less ground clearance than the average subaru
nunns
14ers: 43 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (0)

Post by nunns »

OK dumb question I am sure, so flame away at my lack of vehicular knowledge, but do stock 4Runner types of vehicles have the same ground clearance as stock Jeeps?
I would imagine the shorter wheelbase on a Jeep would help for advanced 4WD stuff. I am just looking for something that would get me up "easy" 4WD roads in order to cut down on the amount of road hiking I have to do.

Sean Nunn
"Thy righteousness is like the great mountains." --Psalms 36:6
Reg0928
14ers: 58 
13ers: 253 2 11
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Reg0928 »

I rock a Tacoma. Tons of room for gear, I can sleep in the back, and I've never run into trouble trying to get up to a trail head.