Camping now illegal in much of Utah

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
ker0uac
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Camping now illegal in much of Utah

Post by ker0uac »

shelly+ wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:24 pm everything you say here is valid.... but, yes, our society equates worth with having a career. people can be extremely judgmental when you explain to them that you have an college education and you don't have a career path. just ask any long-term, stay-at-home mom how people respond when they ask what she does for a living.
Right... and to some people with mental health issues, coping with unexpected stress can be very taxing, and at a bare minimum they deserve our compassion if we can't do more for them... but to others who are talking about their lives not being worth living anymore, I say GROW THE F*K UP... if you don't like society, then quit society, lots of land in SD or MT for one to be an outcast, I plan on being one in 10-15years
Those who travel to mountain-tops are half in love with themselves and half in love with oblivion
12ersRule
14ers: 58 
13ers: 157
Trip Reports (4)

Post by 12ersRule »

^ or if you're feeling pretty low and down on yourself, try to help someone else. That could help raise your spirits.
disentangled
Trip Reports (0)

Post by disentangled »

ker0uac wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:43 pm if you don't like society, then quit society, lots of land in SD or MT for one to be an outcast, I plan on being one in 10-15years
agreed. and luckily for me, it can also be done in a small-ish large-ish city-town in new mexico. :)
SurfNTurf
14ers: 58  28 
13ers: 127 7
Trip Reports (48)

Post by SurfNTurf »

I leaned heavily on therapy to work through addiction and abandonment issues, and I'm a firm believer. I still go twice a month just to stay tuned up. I had similar views about therapy to you, Ptglhs, before committing to recovery and finding a good counselor. Investing in my mental health literally saved my life. If you're looking for help, there's no better place to turn. But you have to be open to it. Admittedly, I have health insurance and a $30 copay, which is a privilege that's not shared by all.

Some of the most helpful therapy I received, however, was through free support groups. They exist for almost anything, including those dealing with job loss, anxiety, depression, or suicidal thoughts. Many of them are online based (and even more are now). There's no up-front cost except showing up. The power of community, of knowing you're not alone, is unquantifiable. I strongly suggest a Google search related to whatever you're going through. Or, since I don't want to simply pass you off, my PMs are always open to you (or anyone) who wants to talk further.
Last edited by SurfNTurf on Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
“There are two kinds of climbers: those who climb because their heart sings when they’re in the mountains, and all the rest.” - Alex Lowe

"There have been joys too great to describe in words, and there have been griefs upon which I cannot dare to dwell; and with those in mind I say, 'Climb if you will, but remember that courage and strength are nought without prudence, and that a momentary negligence may destroy the happiness of a lifetime. Do nothing in haste, look well to each step, and from the beginning think what may be the end.'" - Edward Whymper
Ptglhs
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 86 3
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Ptglhs »

Interesting to see how this devolved in the six and a half hours I was out hiking North Star Mountain. I'm not talking about suicide. For some reason other people are. I'm just vengefully gleefully that horrible things are happening to lots of people right now, since the world hasn't shown much compassion to me. Believe it or not I'm a really compassionate person in person. Decades of continuing to fail and getting treated like s*** is definitely leaching the sweetness out of me.

In other news the Cristo couloir on quandary's south side looks in for skiing.
madbuck
Trip Reports (6)

Post by madbuck »

Ptglhs wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:11 pm Interesting to see how this devolved in the six and a half hours I was out hiking North Star Mountain. I'm not talking about suicide. For some reason other people are. I'm just vengefully gleefully that horrible things are happening to lots of people right now, since the world hasn't shown much compassion to me.
FWIW, I'm upset (and not alone, here) that horrible things are happening to random people, including you.
I'm glad you had a nice hike today! That's a beautiful place. As a whole, not many people, frankly, get a chance (or take the chance) to go places like that, although it's often hard for us to see that from this perspective.
teamdonkey
14ers: 28  1 
13ers: 18 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by teamdonkey »

Ptglhs wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:11 pmBelieve it or not I'm a really compassionate person in person
I'm going with not
rijaca
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 244 1 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by rijaca »

Ptglhs wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:11 pm Interesting to see how this devolved in the six and a half hours I was out hiking North Star Mountain. I'm not talking about suicide. For some reason other people are. I'm just vengefully gleefully that horrible things are happening to lots of people right now, since the world hasn't shown much compassion to me. Believe it or not I'm a really compassionate person in person. Decades of continuing to fail and getting treated like s*** is definitely leaching the sweetness out of me.

BS. You're not compassionate in the least. Wishing other peeps harm and getting joy in others' suffering is just plain wrong!

I sincerely hope that you get some help. Otherwise, you're just a dickhead.
"A couple more shots of whiskey,
the women 'round here start looking good"
greenonion
14ers: 50  1 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by greenonion »

rijaca wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:51 am
Ptglhs wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:11 pm Interesting to see how this devolved in the six and a half hours I was out hiking North Star Mountain. I'm not talking about suicide. For some reason other people are. I'm just vengefully gleefully that horrible things are happening to lots of people right now, since the world hasn't shown much compassion to me. Believe it or not I'm a really compassionate person in person. Decades of continuing to fail and getting treated like s*** is definitely leaching the sweetness out of me.

BS. You're not compassionate in the least. Wishing other peeps harm and getting joy in others' suffering is just plain wrong!

I sincerely hope that you get some help. Otherwise, you're just a dickhead.
But thanks, Ptglhs, for posting the conditions info on Quandary from North Star. Appreciated by folks I'm sure!
XterraRob
14ers: 42  7 
13ers: 14
Trip Reports (4)

Post by XterraRob »

Any recent news about the status of Utah? Hoping to hit some spots in the South this weekend.
RIP - M56
Re-introduce Grizzly Bears into the Colorado Wilderness™
osprey
14ers: 52  16 
13ers: 144 17
Trip Reports (9)

Post by osprey »

Carbon and Emery Counties have lifted their restrictions on camping and overnight lodging.
Grand County is still restricted to county residents.
"Rocks, mountains, snow and ice: what more do we desire?" - Reinhard Karl

“I breathed in the air on the summit and liked it better than the air below.”
Ptglhs
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 86 3
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Ptglhs »

osprey wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 12:22 pm Carbon and Emery Counties have lifted their restrictions on camping and overnight lodging.
Grand County is still restricted to county residents.
Any info on Duchense?