Camping now illegal in much of Utah

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Camping now illegal in much of Utah

Post by Scott P »

Has anyone read the statements from the Moab Sheriff's department? All camping (or other forms of staying the night are now illegal in Grand, Carbon, and Emery Counties. This includes places like Moab, the San Rafael Swell,

Overnight Lodging. Effective at 10 pm (MST) on March 17, 2020, all overnight and short-term lodging facilities (including but not limited to hotels, motels, condos, townhomes, guest homes, RV parks, and all camping on public or private lands) within Carbon, Emery, and Grand Counties may only check-in, rent, or lease to Essential Visitors and Primary Residents. Essential Visitors and Primary Residents may utilize public lands for primitive camping purposes. No camp shall be located within 200 yards of another camp and no camp shall consist of more than IO people. An Essential Visitor is any individual renting lodging or camping for an amount of time less than 30 days for the purposes of work within Carbon, Emery, and Grand Counties, or for an employer within the boundaries of Carbon, Emery, and Grand Counties, and their spouse and dependents. Primary Residents are any individuals renting lodging for periods of 30 days or greater or whose primary address is within one of the counties.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
They are saying that violaters can be put in jail.

https://moabcity.org/551/COVID-19-Infor ... F0SGJMNNJc

I asked if this includes backpacking far away from roads and other people and they say yes.
moa.JPG
moa.JPG (34.81 KiB) Viewed 5243 times
Last edited by Scott P on Tue Mar 17, 2020 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
JTOlson26
14ers: 20 
Trip Reports (1)

Re: Camping now illegal in much of Utah

Post by JTOlson26 »

Wow. What is the rationale?

As a teacher (in Ohio) who is off for a few weeks I had planned on going to Utah and doing a little dessert camping!
dwoodward13
14ers: 58  12 
13ers: 157 6
Trip Reports (1)

Post by dwoodward13 »

JTOlson26 wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 6:02 pm Wow. What is the rationale?

As a teacher (in Ohio) who is off for a few weeks I had planned on going to Utah and doing a little dessert camping!
The city of Moab has extremely limited healthcare resources. There's a possibility that someone brings the coronavirus into the community, or a hiker/biker/ect could get injured and take up some of those extremely limited resources.

This is true of many communities in Colorado as well, so I wouldn't be surprised if we see similar actions here soon too.
nyker
14ers: 58 
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (69)

Post by nyker »

wow, this takes social distancing to the extreme
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

dwoodward13 wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 6:18 pmThe city of Moab has extremely limited healthcare resources. There's a possibility that someone brings the coronavirus into the community, or a hiker/biker/ect could get injured and take up some of those extremely limited resources.
That is true, but Grand Junction isn't that far away and most patients for anything serious just end up here anyway.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
rijaca
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 244 1 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by rijaca »

What about San Juan County?
"A couple more shots of whiskey,
the women 'round here start looking good"
Ptglhs
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 86 3
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Ptglhs »

nyker wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 6:21 pm wow, this takes social distancing to the extreme
That's not social distancing. It's a mix of xenophobia, tribalism, and fear of scarcity. I hope 2,000 people show up on their doorstep.
hunterwf
14ers: 37 
13ers: 30
Trip Reports (0)

Post by hunterwf »

If it is already there, it is already there. Shutting down your economy isn't going to stop a virus.
There are other Annapurnas in the lives of men.

- Maurice Herzog
Bean
14ers: 45  45  10 
13ers: 9 4
Trip Reports (27)

Post by Bean »

JTOlson26 wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 6:02 pm Wow. What is the rationale?

The rationale is that thousands of people had your exact same idea and they can't handle it right now.

hunterwf wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 7:53 pm If it is already there, it is already there. Shutting down your economy isn't going to stop a virus.
Worked for China.

Ptglhs wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 7:15 pm That's not social distancing. It's a mix of xenophobia, tribalism, and fear of scarcity. I hope 2,000 people show up on their doorstep.
With attitudes like yours, their reaction to the situation is more than understandable.
"There are no hard 14ers, but some are easier than others." - Scott P
http://throughpolarizedeyes.com
Teresa Gergen
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Teresa Gergen »

It's not just Utah.

There's some pretty serious stuff in here:
https://thetrek.co/trail-related-closur ... edded_post

"State of New Mexico asks all out-of-state visitors to self-isolate for 14 days upon arrival in New Mexico"

“People who are not in Summit County should not plan to come into the county;” travel in and out is recommended “only if absolutely necessary.”

“Visitors to Gunnison County are directed to return home immediately upon issuance of this order by the fastest and safest available means, and persons considering visiting Gunnison County should remain home.”

Also the shelter-in-place order in the Bay Area in CA allows walking/hiking outdoors, but not driving in your own private vehicle to get there - only walking out from your own residence. See under the "What Can't I Do" section: "You cannot take unnecessary trips on public transport or in your car or motorbike." (emphasis added)
https://www.smcgov.org/shelter-place-faqs

National Park Service is also beginning various closures. For Sequoia-Kings Canyon NP (SEKI) in the CA Sierra, the Wilderness Office where permits are issued is closed.
https://www.sfchronicle.com/environment ... 137765.php

Maybe there's hope that if enough action is taken right away, restrictions can be lifted by summer...
seano
14ers: 56 
13ers: 218
Trip Reports (3)

Post by seano »

Wow, that got crazy fast. Wondering if I should stay out of the country awhile longer...
Scary_Canary
Trip Reports (3)

Post by Scary_Canary »

Teresa Gergen wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 8:39 pm It's not just Utah

Also the shelter-in-place order in the Bay Area in CA allows walking/hiking outdoors, but not driving in your own private vehicle to get there - only walking out from your own residence. See under the "What Can't I Do" section: "You cannot take unnecessary trips on public transport or in your car or motorbike." (emphasis added)
Its worded a little strangely, but hiking, running, and maintaining a healthy active lifestyle is considered an essential duty under their guidelines, for which you are allowed to use your private vehicle/public transport to get you there. Just be socially distant.
It's not considered as an unnecessary trip. Please be careful with the info you spread in these times.
The risk I took was calculated, but I'm terrible at math.