White Island eruption New Zealand

Discussion area for peaks outside of the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
nyker
14ers: 58 
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (69)

White Island eruption New Zealand

Post by nyker »

This would have been pretty scary to be very close to as many tourists were went it went off

White Island Volcano: What’s Going To Happen Next?

https://www.forbes.com/sites/robinandre ... ppen-next/
Trotter
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 220 2 8
Trip Reports (10)

Re: White Island eruption New Zealand

Post by Trotter »

nyker wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 8:17 am This would have been pretty scary to be very close to as many tourists were went it went off

White Island Volcano: What’s Going To Happen Next?

https://www.forbes.com/sites/robinandre ... ppen-next/
Its scary because it was considered safe, it was only being rated a 2 out of 5 on the volcano danger scale when it blew. I would have gone on it myself at that danger level...

I was on a few new zealand volcanos this year, and they were rated a 0 to 1 at the time. But even a 1 involves steam jets and boiling mud.
After climbing a great hill, one only finds that there are many more hills to climb. -Nelson Mandela
Whenever I climb I am followed by a dog called Ego. -Nietzsche
timstich
14ers: 11 
Trip Reports (0)

Re: White Island eruption New Zealand

Post by timstich »

It was never safe, considering the type of volcano it is (stratovolcano). A shield volcano is the only kind I would ever approach that closely.

People just rolled the dice and won for many years and made some tourist dollars off of it. No geologist can tell you exactly when volcanoes like this will erupt, and in this case that danger scale is about as useful as flipping a coin. But it's a similar mindset to avalanche danger. You can still cause a slide when it's just "considerable."

So in the future, if the volcano is that kind stay away.