Best class 3 summits to train dog on?

Dogs, dogs and even some cats
Forum rules
Let's try to keep the topics related to mountaineering, please. Please do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website. For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
CaptCO
14ers: 58 14
13ers: 45 1
Trip Reports (5)

Best class 3 summits to train dog on?

Post by CaptCO » Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:52 pm

How's it going everybody, my 3 year old lab and I have done 11 14ers in about 8 weeks. I want to start training him on more boulder climbing/class 3 obstacles. I'm sure we've done a few low class 3's so far not including 14ers but was wondering what you all recommended. So far the most "challenging" obstacle we've come across on a 14er was the boulder wall at the Harvard summit. If possible we'd like to accomplish at least 40 of the 14ers together. Thank you!
"It's a thing if you want it to be a thing. What others think of something is irrelevant." -OldSchool

Proof is in the progress, patience is essence; I’m crazy as a fox

"The future no longer belongs to my generation"

DM @Capt_Alec for nudes
polar
14ers: 2
Trip Reports (1)

Re: Best class 3 summits to train dog on?

Post by polar » Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:20 pm

There's no need to train your dog. If he likes class 3 he will be hopping all over the boulders and scrambly stuff. If he doesn't then he won't. Personally though, I don't take my dog on anything class 3 or above. I enjoy class 3 / class 4 and I'm willing to take a little risk for it, but the last thing I want is to lead my dog on something difficult for her and watch her hurt herself. My dog just likes to follow me and enjoys being outside, she could care less if she's hiking a 14er or hiking the hill 5 mins away from my house.
"Getting to the bottom, OPTIONAL. Getting to the top, MANDATORY!" - The Wisest Trail Sign
CaptCO
14ers: 58 14
13ers: 45 1
Trip Reports (5)

Post by CaptCO » Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:27 pm

polar wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:20 pm
There's no need to train your dog. If he likes class 3 he will be hopping all over the boulders and scrambly stuff. If he doesn't then he won't. Personally though, I don't take my dog on anything class 3 or above. I enjoy class 3 / class 4 and I'm willing to take a little risk for it, but the last thing I want is to lead my dog on something difficult for her and watch her hurt herself. My dog just likes to follow me and enjoys being outside, she could care less if she's hiking a 14er or hiking the hill 5 mins away from my house.
10-4 I completely understand, he follows me up and down while loving it the whole way. I just don't want to waste a trip doing a high class 3 and turning around vs getting opinions on a low class 3 to warm up on. Probably going to hike uncompahgre/wetterhorn if I don't get any better responses. BTW I would never push my dog past his limits or knowing I wouldn't be able to hep him return if something happened. Perseverance is a strong will :)
"It's a thing if you want it to be a thing. What others think of something is irrelevant." -OldSchool

Proof is in the progress, patience is essence; I’m crazy as a fox

"The future no longer belongs to my generation"

DM @Capt_Alec for nudes
clairekm
14ers: 24 2
13ers: 46 3

Post by clairekm » Tue Aug 27, 2019 6:55 am

With my dog I’ve found going down Class 3 is way more challenging for him than going up. I’d recommend for you to find a peak with some optional class 3 to practice descending where you can go down a different route if you find he is uncomfortable on the class 3 descent.
Iguru
14ers: 18
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Iguru » Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:37 am

I am picturing my dog on the Wetterhorn final pitch, and thinking this might not have been such a good idea. Not really hard, just steep. Unless your dog has the skills of a mountain goat, I would not expose him/her to that. Other class 3's I have done, Kelso ridge, and Quandary west, I would leave the dog home for those too. JMO
I gotta get me an Avatar.