Best backcountry meal options

Trailhead condition requests, questions, alerts, etc.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Somewhat of a Prick
14ers: 58  7 
13ers: 84
Trip Reports (17)

Re: Best backcountry meal options

Post by Somewhat of a Prick »

drewharrellrtr wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:08 pm My morning "go to" is usually a cliff bar. I find those provide a lot of energy. I won't go hiking without one
Blegh. Like trying to eat a block of chalk
mtree
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mtree »

Somewhat of a Prick wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:19 pm
drewharrellrtr wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:08 pm My morning "go to" is usually a cliff bar. I find those provide a lot of energy. I won't go hiking without one
Nah. A block of chalk goes down with less water.
- I didn't say it was your fault. I said I was blaming you.
drewharrellrtr
14ers: 34 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (1)

Post by drewharrellrtr »

Haha why is that? Too thick or what?
SkaredShtles
Trip Reports (0)

Post by SkaredShtles »

Yup - most of those "energy" bars are emergency rations only. I'll keep a few of the Gu-type frosting things around for emergency rations as well.

If you're going super-simple like that for breakfast, at *least* make it a Snickers bar (or whatever candy bar you prefer).

Oh - and when backpacking I always take a stove because I REFUSE to start the day without some coffee. :mrgreen:
Conor
14ers: 41  6  6 
13ers: 51 1 1
Trip Reports (7)

Post by Conor »

SkaredShtles wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 3:50 pm Yup - most of those "energy" bars are emergency rations only. I'll keep a few of the Gu-type frosting things around for emergency rations as well.

If you're going super-simple like that for breakfast, at *least* make it a Snickers bar (or whatever candy bar you prefer).

Oh - and when backpacking I always take a stove because I REFUSE to start the day without some coffee. :mrgreen:
Meh, never had coffee. The stove is not just about the weight, but it's about the process and time. I know there are extremely light stove setups, but now you have to clean pots etc. I know most people probably wash their stuff in the streams, even though they're not supposed to. Some will use a paper towel and carry out the waste, or burn it if a fire is allowed. I put everything in freezer bags and then dump the hot water in that for the freeze dried meals w/ a packit gourmet coozy. I then just carry out the freezer bags and lick my spoon.

For 3 days, I can eat cold pizza and I get going quickly without all those "camp chores." Oh, as our cook in Peru called them, I always have ositos (Albanese Gummy Bears).
SkaredShtles
Trip Reports (0)

Post by SkaredShtles »

Conor wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:05 pm<snip>

Meh, never had coffee.
The stove is not just about the weight, but it's about the process and time.
Fortunately, when I'm backpacking, I'm rarely in a hurry. :mrgreen:
timisimaginary
14ers: 3 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (2)

Post by timisimaginary »

drewharrellrtr wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:42 pm
i like the nut-butter filled clif bars. much more palatable and easier to chew. the hazelnut chocolate clif bars are a staple for me now, i buy them by the boxload.
"The decay and disintegration of this culture is astonishingly amusing if you're emotionally detached from it." - George Carlin
Trotter
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 220 2 8
Trip Reports (10)

Post by Trotter »

timisimaginary wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:11 am
drewharrellrtr wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:42 pm

i like the nut-butter filled clif bars. much more palatable and easier to chew. the hazelnut chocolate clif bars are a staple for me now, i buy them by the boxload.

ehhh I find those much worse then the normal cliff bars. They are like eating glue paste.

Larabars are my current favorite
After climbing a great hill, one only finds that there are many more hills to climb. -Nelson Mandela
Whenever I climb I am followed by a dog called Ego. -Nietzsche
disentangled
Trip Reports (0)

Post by disentangled »

Trotter wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:46 pm
Larabars are my current favorite
Larabars are delicious!! and not loaded with soy or any other crap.... just pricey for something you could make yourself in a food processor.
polar
14ers: 2 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by polar »

I really liked Perfect Bars at Costco, but they require refrigeration. Even though you CAN keep it outside of the frig for a day without any problem, but they don't taste as good when not cold. My current favorite is Rise Bar, Costco used to sell the honey almond version, but for some reason they stopped carrying it. When my favorite Costco ran out of Rise Bars, I went to a different Costco and bought enough to last me until end of this year...

"Getting to the bottom, OPTIONAL. Getting to the top, MANDATORY!" - The Wisest Trail Sign
disentangled
Trip Reports (0)

Post by disentangled »

if you own a dehydrator, you could pack along any of your favorite homemade foods, including dried fruits and jerky.
Bill G
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Bill G »

Mountain House since 1984. You need to be sweaty, grimy and tired after a long day on the trail to enjoy MH. I tried it once at home when the power was off, in that case it sucks. It also helps to have a single malt so you can truly enjoy.