Grays and Torreys road getting rough

Trailhead condition requests, questions, alerts, etc.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Wentzl
14ers: 58  20 
13ers: 55
Trip Reports (49)

Re: Grays and Torreys road getting rough

Post by Wentzl »

I would like to hear from the 4WD experts out there, but it looks like if a driver turned the wheels to the left and put it in 4WD low, a few guys pushing wheels down, you might just get away with it.

Yeah, pushing upside down on the roof, not a good plan.

I hope the driver chimes in and tells us how the vehicle was ultimately extracted.
Shorter of Breath and One Day Closer . . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZXKgl8turY

"Social Justice" = Injustice
Progressives are Oxy-morons
JA_son27
14ers: 54  1 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (31)

Post by JA_son27 »

I'm never surprised the s**t I see anymore. I was following a Jeep down this road a while back and they managed to get airborne, they wanted to show up my little 4runner.
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.
XterraRob
14ers: 42  7 
13ers: 14
Trip Reports (4)

Post by XterraRob »

There should be a sub-list of items to check off for a more well-rounded finish, this is one of them.
If you haven't rolled your vehicle on the Grays/Torreys road, can you really call yourself a 14er finisher?
RIP - M56
Re-introduce Grizzly Bears into the Colorado Wilderness™
Tony1
14ers: 58  2  15 
13ers: 261 11 5
Trip Reports (31)

Post by Tony1 »

That looks like a Compass.

I used to have a Patriot - it ended up exactly same way on the road to Lindsey. I was driving back down after the hike when the electrical system went wacko and basically turned the car off, so no power steering and the brake pedal was rigid. Because it caught me off guard, before I could do anything I was already headed up the bank and turning over. A similar thing happened a couple weeks prior on a normal road, but when it did it then I was able to just pull over. Got it towed home and everything was fine again... This was the CVT version, not the manual.

Don't buy a CVT Compass or Patriot! Complete POS.
Wish I lived in CO
14ers: 58 
Trip Reports (11)

Post by Wish I lived in CO »

Tony1 wrote:That looks like a Compass.

I used to have a Patriot - it ended up exactly same way on the road to Lindsey. I was driving back down after the hike when the electrical system went wacko and basically turned the car off, so no power steering and the brake pedal was rigid. Because it caught me off guard, before I could do anything I was already headed up the bank and turning over. A similar thing happened a couple weeks prior on a normal road, but when it did it then I was able to just pull over. Got it towed home and everything was fine again... This was the CVT version, not the manual.

I rented a Patriot once. Didn't break down, but it was a POS and an embarrassment to the Jeep name.
I look up to the mountains - does my help come from there? My help comes from the Lord, who made heaven and earth! Psalm 121:1-2
RBski
14ers: 10 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (0)

Post by RBski »

Tony1 wrote:That looks like a Compass.

Ah... Jeep reliability at its finest.
two lunches
14ers: 37  2 
13ers: 59
Trip Reports (0)

Post by two lunches »

RBski wrote:
Tony1 wrote:Don't buy a CVT Compass or Patriot! Complete POS.
back up, RBski: those aren't real jeeps.
“To walk in nature is to witness a thousand miracles.” – Mary Davis
mtree
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mtree »

stephakett wrote:
RBski wrote:
Agree. Not real Jeeps.

Accolades to the driver. I never thought of parking my vehicle on its side to save space on narrow roads. Very thoughtful. We should all be congratulating this driver for the respect and responsibility he/she has shown to the hiking community. We should all take a page from this book of wisdom. Well done.
- I didn't say it was your fault. I said I was blaming you.
speth
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 44
Trip Reports (3)

Post by speth »

BillMiddlebrook wrote:
JChitwood wrote:A Jeep overturned? The driver must have been checking the trail description on 14ers.com and drove up the bank.
Come on, bro, he was obviously driving down hill. So, the only logical explanation is that he was updating his checklist after the hike, on 14ers.com...
That's what the post-hike beer rendezvous is for! What a joker!

All I want is to just have fun, live my life like a son of a gun
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Sarcasm or not, it's not even funny to post something like this. Not at this time. Reported.
ezabielski
14ers: 43  1 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ezabielski »

Wentzl wrote:I would like to hear from the 4WD experts out there, but it looks like if a driver turned the wheels to the left and put it in 4WD low, a few guys pushing wheels down, you might just get away with it.

Yeah, pushing upside down on the roof, not a good plan.

I hope the driver chimes in and tells us how the vehicle was ultimately extracted.
Have someone with a winch hook up using a pulley on the tree up the slope, attached to somewhere on the passenger side of the Jeep (not sure there would be a good recovery point on the side though). Winch in until the Jeep rotates back onto all four tires onto the slope. Drive the Jeep slowly forward and to the left, while letting out the winch line until it is back on the road.
Trotter
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 220 2 8
Trip Reports (10)

Post by Trotter »

We heard the rollover, but didnt get to see it happen. The driver was already gone by the time we got down there.
After climbing a great hill, one only finds that there are many more hills to climb. -Nelson Mandela
Whenever I climb I am followed by a dog called Ego. -Nietzsche
RBski
14ers: 10 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (0)

Post by RBski »

stephakett wrote:
RBski wrote:
:-D

I actually agree. The whole Fiat Chrysler corporation has really diminished the reputation of several brands, unfortunately there are very few 'real Jeeps' left.