Missing Hiker RMNP/Mt. Meeker

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
painless4u2
14ers: 58 
Trip Reports (8)

Re: Missing Hiker RMNP/Mt. Meeker

Post by painless4u2 »

When we did Keplinger's on Longs via Wild Basin from Sandbeach Lake, it was a pretty tough, long bushwhack (no trail and lots of tree fall, drop offs, etc). Ended up coming back in the dark, which made it even harder and disorienting.
Bad decisions often make good stories.

IPAs + Ambien = "14ers" post (Bill M.)

In their hearts humans plan their course, but the Lord establishes their steps. Proverbs 16:9
turbocat
14ers: 56 
13ers: 39
Trip Reports (2)

Post by turbocat »

To answer this question...
Ive wanted to do Meeker for a while, is the route back to Sandbeach lake trail fairly hard to locate from Meeker?
On a down climb, yes. Though the standard Meeker Ridge route from Sandbeach Lake TH (Wild Basin RMNP Entrance) seems to be getting more travel these days, it is a bushwhack North up Campers Creek with no trail, and once in the Lookout saddle a faint trail up the ridge can be found on the NW side of the saddle. In some places it is really good, in others it fades. Above tree line it just follows the ridge up some tundra and large talus and is not defined. The cutoff is well before Sandbeach Lake itself at the Campers Creek crossing. Topo attached of the route. There are many places to wander off route if you do not stick to the ridge, or you turn wrong at the saddle. I am not SAR, nor do I want to armchair quarterback this situation, but I do this route at least once a year and would suspect that this hiker got into trouble above treeline and either fell or ran into trouble in the talus field on the ridge on descent (some blocks move and are as big as a VW bug), or simply tried to descend off of the Loft route so as not to return back over to the Meeker East summit (because that traverse is a bit hairy) and after climbing the 2.5 mile ridge, the standard Loft route on descent may have seemed easier. Having done that Loft route a fair amount as well, down climbing without the benefit of going up it could be difficult with many steep sections, especially if you do not find the good ledges. Meeker is one of my favorites, but even with its close proximity to Longs and all the folks who do Longs, not many do Meeker. I have always been alone up there looking at the hoards of folks on Longs. Campers Creek is very isolated with very little to no traffic (why I like it) and it requires good route finding or GPS tracks. It is very long and above treeline for 2.5 miles with tough terrain and just as slow going down as up. I hope the searchers have some success.

[img]
Meeker Ridge from Campers Creek.jpg
Meeker Ridge from Campers Creek.jpg (900.48 KiB) Viewed 3161 times
[/img]
When the going gets weird...the weird turn Pro. HST
jfm3
13ers: 24
Trip Reports (12)

Post by jfm3 »

road guy wrote:sad story -

Ive wanted to do Meeker for a while, is the route back to Sandbeach lake trail fairly hard to locate from Meeker?
It may depend on which route you want to take down off the Meeker summit. As indicated in the comment above, returning via Lookout Mountain and Camper's Creek seems to be tough. I hiked Meeker and Meeker Ridge in early June and I came back (and went up) via Hunter's Creek. This creek drains the south bowl of Meeker. From the summit of Meeker Ridge, I went down Meeker's southeast ridge and eventually cut right (west-southwest) off the ridge and went back across the eastern part of Meeker's south bowl to rejoin the creek. From treeline back to the intersection with the actual Sandbeach Lake trail, there is a "trail" of sorts along Hunter's Creek. Some segments are better than others. I also had a GPS route on my watch that I was using as a guide. If you don't go up the Loft or Dreamweaver on Meeker, your route could vary significantly depending on how much talus you want to hike, how comfortable you are with the exposure on the slabs at the top and how well you know the creeks and general topography of the south side. It is certainly a good idea to spend time learning the route, looking at GPS tracks and studying photos to know how to orient yourself on the mountain and determine if the route you want to take is a good one.
Strava: https://www.strava.com/athletes/2596507" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/jamie.mothersbaugh.3rd/
Garmin inReach Map: https://share.garmin.com/jfmiii
RobLowe
14ers: 58  6  48 
13ers: 181 1 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by RobLowe »

turbocat wrote:To answer this question...
On a down climb, yes. Though the standard Meeker Ridge route from Sandbeach Lake TH (Wild Basin RMNP Entrance) seems to be getting more travel these days, it is a bushwhack North up Campers Creek with no trail, and once in the Lookout saddle a faint trail up the ridge can be found on the NW side of the saddle. In some places it is really good, in others it fades. Above tree line it just follows the ridge up some tundra and large talus and is not defined. The cutoff is well before Sandbeach Lake itself at the Campers Creek crossing. Topo attached of the route. There are many places to wander off route if you do not stick to the ridge, or you turn wrong at the saddle. I am not SAR, nor do I want to armchair quarterback this situation, but I do this route at least once a year and would suspect that this hiker got into trouble above treeline and either fell or ran into trouble in the talus field on the ridge on descent (some blocks move and are as big as a VW bug), or simply tried to descend off of the Loft route so as not to return back over to the Meeker East summit (because that traverse is a bit hairy) and after climbing the 2.5 mile ridge, the standard Loft route on descent may have seemed easier. Having done that Loft route a fair amount as well, down climbing without the benefit of going up it could be difficult with many steep sections, especially if you do not find the good ledges. Meeker is one of my favorites, but even with its close proximity to Longs and all the folks who do Longs, not many do Meeker. I have always been alone up there looking at the hoards of folks on Longs. Campers Creek is very isolated with very little to no traffic (why I like it) and it requires good route finding or GPS tracks. It is very long and above treeline for 2.5 miles with tough terrain and just as slow going down as up. I hope the searchers have some success.

[img]Meeker%20Ridge%20from%20Campers%20Creek.jpg[/img]
Hunter’s Creek is also commonly used to get Meeker, as it involves a shorter period of time in the brush than Campers Creek. Sorry to the family, friends, and loved ones of Mr. Perri.
A man who has no imagination has no wings

IG: rlmbarlow
Bombgetter
14ers: 12  1 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Bombgetter »

Looks like they are going for one last search push. If you are in the area and don't mind diverting to help out.

https://www.facebook.com/search/top/?q= ... an%20perri
BratwurstGoblin
14ers: 21 
13ers: 9
Trip Reports (0)

Post by BratwurstGoblin »

turbocat wrote:To answer this question...
it is a bushwhack North up Campers Creek with no trail

[img]Meeker%20Ridge%20from%20Campers%20Creek.jpg[/img]
Continue on the main trail to Hunter's Creek and turn north there at the crossing, there is a trail that follows Hunter's creek up through the forest to the meadows around treeline. From there, it's just some steep class 2 to the summit, with maybe a few sections of class 2+/3 scrambling on the ridge. There is a route description for this on this website.
BratwurstGoblin
14ers: 21 
13ers: 9
Trip Reports (0)

Post by BratwurstGoblin »

Sounds like they have found him.

https://www.coloradoan.com/story/news/2 ... 858940002/

RIP
onebyone
14ers: 58  1 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by onebyone »

BratwurstGoblin wrote:Sounds like they have found him.

https://www.coloradoan.com/story/news/2 ... 858940002/

RIP
And as well.
https://www.9news.com/mobile/article/ne ... -578401435

So sorry to the family members reading this.
ultrarunningkid
14ers: 10  1 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ultrarunningkid »

Sorry to hear, glad the family is able to bury their loved one and get some closure.

This quote got to me, an adventurer to the end:

"I’m really not surprised you chose one of the areas that I both couldn’t get to and wouldn’t send people to look. But nonetheless, you’re coming home," Fischer wrote in his Facebook post.
bmcqueen
14ers: 58  52 
13ers: 356 15
Trip Reports (24)

Post by bmcqueen »

RIP Brian. My condolences to his friends and family.
"Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgment." --- Nasreddin

https://listsofjohn.com/PeakStats/Conte ... queen&t=14
Candace66
14ers: 42  1 
13ers: 207 3
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Candace66 »

RIP.
djkest
13ers: 19
Trip Reports (44)

Post by djkest »

RIP Brian. Grateful the the family is able to get some closure in this.
Life is a mountain, not a beach.
Exploring and Wine, my personal blog