Missing Hiker RMNP/Mt. Meeker

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Bombgetter
14ers: 12  1 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Missing Hiker RMNP/Mt. Meeker

Post by Bombgetter »

Posting for a friend of a friend. I have no other information then what is on the FB post other then Park Rangers found his vehicle. (https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =3&theater)

14erFred
14ers: 51 
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Missing Hiker RMNP/Mt. Meeker

Post by 14erFred »

Praying for a positive outcome for the search to find Brian.
"Live as on a mountain." -- Marcus Aurelius
kingshimmers
14ers: 15 
13ers: 22
Trip Reports (0)

Post by kingshimmers »

Here is the National Park Service news release:
https://www.nps.gov/romo/learn/news/sea ... l-park.htm

"Late yesterday afternoon, Thursday July 5, park rangers were notified by Fort Collins Police that Brian Joseph Perri, 38, of Fort Collins, Colorado, had been reported as missing. Perri was last known day hiking on Saturday, June 30, in the Mount Meeker area of Rocky Mountain National Park. On June 30, Perri texted a friend a photograph of himself from the summit of Mount Meeker. After rangers were notified of the missing man, they located Perri’s car in the parking lot at the Sandbeach Lake Trailhead.

Late yesterday, before nightfall, a Flight For Life Air Ambulance assisted park staff by conducting a brief aerial search near the summit of Mount Meeker. Early this morning, Rocky Mountain National Park Search and Rescue team members began ground search efforts. The search efforts will focus on the summit of Mount Meeker and ridge lines extending off of Mount Meeker above tree line. Northern Colorado Helitack will assist with aerial search efforts today, pending weather and conditions.

Perri was day hiking and was expected out on Saturday, June 30. Perri’s destination was believed to be the summit of Mount Meeker. In the photograph he texted, he was wearing a tan full brim hat, sunglasses, and red backpack. He has minimal equipment and may have a yellow rain jacket and yellow orange puffy jacket. He had no known tent or camping equipment. Perri is 5’9” and weighs 160 pounds.

Park rangers would like to hear from anyone who has been in the Mount Meeker area since Saturday, June 30. Especially those who noticed abandoned gear or other clues. Please call (970) 586-1204."
"Be the beta you wish to find."
BratwurstGoblin
14ers: 21 
13ers: 9
Trip Reports (0)

Post by BratwurstGoblin »

I hiked Meeker and Meeker Ridge from the Sandbeach Lake trailhead on Monday with 5 other people. None of us saw anybody matching Brian's description or any gear left behind. I called the rangers and gave them our route and times and let them know we didn't see any evidence of him. I wish I had something more helpful; hope he's found and ok.
timstich
14ers: 11 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by timstich »

Updates from the family are posted here:

https://www.facebook.com/findbrianperri/
Bombgetter
14ers: 12  1 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Bombgetter »

timstich wrote:Updates from the family are posted here:

https://www.facebook.com/findbrianperri/
They are looking for volunteers to search areas other then where SAR is. If anyone is interested, contact the page.
cordisimo
14ers: 31  4 
13ers: 46 2
Trip Reports (4)

Post by cordisimo »

I was wondering about the chopper I saw roaming around all day on Friday.

I did a loop from the Wild Basin entrance to Sandbeach Lake, Pagoda via Crescent Ridge, Longs via the SW ridge, stepladder/gorrell's to the Beaver, then Meeker to Lookout Mtn then schwacked down to the trail and saw no sign that anyone else had been around any of those areas recently, besides the obviously trafficked sandbeach lake trail and standard keyhole/loft routes on Longs. I'll give the rangers a call too.

Wild Basin is beautiful, huge and remote, hoping for a good outcome.
kingshimmers
14ers: 15 
13ers: 22
Trip Reports (0)

Post by kingshimmers »

For those looking for more information, you can find the National Park Service news releases regarding the search effort status here:
https://www.nps.gov/romo/learn/news/newsreleases.htm
"Be the beta you wish to find."
Candace66
14ers: 42  1 
13ers: 207 3
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Candace66 »

I'm thinking that by now, it's unlikely he will be found alive. :(
MonGoose
14ers: 58  16  17 
13ers: 51 11 1
Trip Reports (16)

Post by MonGoose »

It's been two weeks since he went missing from his day hike. I'm so very sorry that a family is missing their son, brother and many other people are missing a friend. I hope that the search will be successful and bring closure to this situation.
road guy
Trip Reports (0)

Post by road guy »

sad story -

Ive wanted to do Meeker for a while, is the route back to Sandbeach lake trail fairly hard to locate from Meeker?