Talusmonkey June Birthday / Memorial Hike

Threads related to Colorado mountaineering accidents but please keep it civil and respectful. Friends and relatives of fallen climbers will be reading these posts.
Forum rules
Please be respectful when posting - family and friends of fallen climbers might be reading this forum.
jamienellis
14ers: 58  15 
13ers: 80
Trip Reports (5)

Talusmonkey June Birthday / Memorial Hike

Post by jamienellis »

Hey everyone! I thought I’d refresh this topic since the date is getting close.
This is for the JUNE hike only. We're still working out the details for the August 15th hike.

Where: Humboldt Peak
When: Sunday June 17. 6am start from S Colony Lakes

The summit hike is on Sunday. Some people are choosing to hike in to S Colony Lakes on Saturday and camping there Saturday night.

Others are just hiking in early on Saturday.

Additionally, some people are meeting up at Pizza Mania in Westcliffe at 2pm on Saturday for a meet and greet / pizza & beers / carpool to the TH.

I’m trying to get an idea of how many people are still interested and if this plan works for everyone?

The list of people that I currently have on the climbing calendar is as follows. (I will update this and the climbing calendar list by adding an asterix next to the people who confirm.)

USAKeller*
sdkeil*
jamienellis*
skasgaard*
kurtyB*
swturner*
christina and Jim*
ChrisP*
stevevets689*
del_sur*
Two Headed Boy (aka jimn72)*
ascent+descent=fun*
highmountaindrifter*
Rockymtnhigh69*
Joe32*
KirkT*
RickJames*
Jeff_F*
goatgirl*
denalibound*
Inky6900*
Scott Patterson & Kessler*
guitmo223*
Merlin6803*
rj2000 + 2*
roozers42*
TK*
shad & Dan*
CODave & Kate*
tragal + lurker work friend*
astrobassman +2*

Re: the placement of a memorial plaque on Humboldt:
Humboldt is in the Sangre de Cristo Wilderness Area, so the Forest Service says it is illegal. Also, David’s close friends are in agreement that David would not want a plaque placed in a wilderness area. I am sure we will remember David in other non-permanent ways.

Maybe we can have a little ceremony / Birthday celebration with some prayer flags, Colt 45, Hot Damn and, of course, whipped cream instead! :wink:
Last edited by jamienellis on Fri Jun 15, 2007 8:48 am, edited 25 times in total.
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
-Ralph Waldo Emerson
Rockymtnhigh69
14ers: 31 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (9)

Post by Rockymtnhigh69 »

I am still planning on joining you all... :)
On my first take-off, I hit second gear and went through the speed limit on a two-lane blacktop highway full of ranch traffic. By the time I went up to third, I was going 75 and the tach was barely above 4000 rpm....
And that's when the Ducati got its second wind. From 4000 to 6000 in third will take you from 75 mph to 95 in two seconds - and after that, Bubba, you still have fourth, fifth, and sixth. Ho, ho.

~Hunter S. Thompson, Song of the Sausage Creature

(VT)
denalibound
14ers: 32  7 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by denalibound »

I'm in!

If anybody would be interested in climbing something in the area on Saturday I would be interested in that as well.

Let me know.
swturner
14ers: 57 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by swturner »

I'm still planning on it and looking forward to it!

Scott
"It ain't no sin to be glad you're alive."--Bruce Springsteen
RickJames
14ers: 7 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by RickJames »

Still coming as well. I'll be one to pack into the lakes and camp on Saturday. Thanks again for organizing all of this Jamie! :)
RJC
Inky6900
14ers: 57 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Inky6900 »

I would also like to attend. I probably won't know for sure until the week before. Right now my plan is to go.
With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible.
christina
14ers: 51 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (2)

Post by christina »

My husband Jim and I are planning on going too, but we have to confirm a couple of days before. I have a sick cat at home currently that needs medication twice a day which may prevent us from going....

Christina
USAKeller
14ers: 58  24  24 
13ers: 169 3 7
Trip Reports (46)

Post by USAKeller »

Jamie!
Put me down for a yes for right now. I'm not exactly sure how the emotions will be going back to Humboldt that soon, but I am more than happy to try!
Last edited by USAKeller on Fri Jun 01, 2007 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cruiser
14ers: 50 
Trip Reports (6)

Post by Cruiser »

I'm in! I'll most probably drive in Saturday afternoon. I've been looking forward to driving the S. Colony Lakes Road for a couple of years now. I'm going to try to talk jmiller into going as well, but either way I'll have room in the truck for one or two more people if anyone is interested in carpooling from the Littleton area.
Where ever you are... There you are.
jamienellis
14ers: 58  15 
13ers: 80
Trip Reports (5)

Post by jamienellis »

Thanks for the responses everyone. I think I have both lists updated to this point.

I'll be out climbing until Monday morning; but will update again then.

Have a good weekend! :D

-Jamie
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
-Ralph Waldo Emerson
Chris P.
14ers: 55 
13ers: 37
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Chris P. »

You can confirm me to be there. My tentative plan is to hike in to the lakes Friday night and set up camp there, then climb the Crestone Needle Saturday morning, hang around in camp the rest of Saturday, then do the climb of Humboldt on Sunday.

Denalibound,
If you (or anyone else) want to join me on the needle I'd be happy to have company. I'm waiting to get a better idea of what snow conditions will be like at that time before I confirm plans for climbing the needle though.
Spam
14ers: 15 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (3)

Post by Spam »

I will be there is spirit only! You all be safe and strike a pose for me!
"Getting to the top is optional, getting down is mandatory." -- Ed Viesturs