Winter 2018 14ers attempt

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
andrewhamilton
14ers: 58  2  58 
13ers: 95
Trip Reports (3)

Winter 2018 14ers attempt

Post by andrewhamilton »

Hey Everyone! So I wanted to officially let you all know my plan for this winter, which is to join those who have tried before and attempt to climb the 14ers in one calendar winter. I've gotten off to a slow start.

Before this year I hadn't actually climbed any peaks in winter, although I have lots of experience in spring with the late snowpack in recent years. Despite the relative lack of snow this year, I'm discovering that the cold temperatures and wind really take the suffering to the next level in winter...

I started with Chicago basin hiking all the way in from purgatory in one 36 hour push. Half way through the adventure I injured a foot tendon and for nearly 20 miles and through a wickedly cold night I hobbled back out.

I gave the injury a couple weeks to heal, then with it feeling mostly better decided to go take a shot at the crestones. It took 24 hours and I learned a new respect for Humboldt in a windy nighttime snowstorm but was able to climb all 5 of the peaks. The injury didn't come roaring back but is a nagging concern...

So I've kind of squandered a ridiculously dry start to the winter season. I have about half of the remaining winter to work with because of my schedule with my kids...I'm not sure if I'll be able to pull this off, but at least a few of the difficult ones are finished.

If you are interested in following along I'll post updates here and hopefully on my website http://www.andrewhamilton.com

My satellite tracker page is http://share.garmin.com/14ers

And I'll post pictures on Instagram at @andrewhamilton14ers

I hope to see some of you out there! I'm heading down to the San Juans tonight!
JaredJohnson
14ers: 28  5 
13ers: 13
Trip Reports (3)

Re: Winter 2018 14ers attempt

Post by JaredJohnson »

Tornadoman
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 266 35
Trip Reports (12)

Post by Tornadoman »

Wow! This is one intense endeavor... I wish you well, climb safe and strong!
Climb the mountain so you can see the world, not so the world can see you.
GregMiller
14ers: 37  4  1 
13ers: 30
Trip Reports (5)

Post by GregMiller »

Go Andrew Go! Heh, wondered why you’d been out sufferfesting it in the cold.
JaredJohnson wrote:Stay safe out there.
You know he holds the 14ers speed record, right?
Still Here
been scared and battered. My hopes the wind done scattered. Snow has friz me, Sun has baked me,
Looks like between 'em they done Tried to make me
Stop laughin', stop lovin', stop livin'-- But I don't care! I'm still here!
Langston Hughes
JaredJohnson
14ers: 28  5 
13ers: 13
Trip Reports (3)

Post by JaredJohnson »

GregMiller wrote:You know he holds the 14ers speed record, right?
Since you're asking I guess that means he does? At any rate I saw his checklist and assumed he didn't exactly need berating, but those are useful links :)

-Jared
Eli Boardman
14ers: 58  1  15 
13ers: 18 1
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Eli Boardman »

Good luck Andrew! Will be fun to follow.
JaredJohnson wrote: Since you're asking I guess that means he does? At any rate I saw his checklist and assumed he didn't exactly need berating, but those are useful links :)

-Jared
Someone pursuing all of the winter 14ers, especially in one season, is certainly very aware of CAIC. On the other hand, I noticed that you (Jared) <likely> haven't done any winter 14ers. I heard once that "the less you know, the more you think you know."
Last edited by Eli Boardman on Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
XterraRob
14ers: 42  7 
13ers: 14
Trip Reports (4)

Post by XterraRob »

Be safe Andrew!
RIP - M56
Re-introduce Grizzly Bears into the Colorado Wilderness™
TallGrass
13ers: 26
Trip Reports (0)

Post by TallGrass »

andrewhamilton wrote:Before this year I hadn't actually climbed any peaks in winter, although I have lots of experience in spring with the late snowpack ... I'm discovering that...
JaredJohnson wrote:Stay safe out there. http://avalanche.state.co.us/ https://aiare.info/course_list.php Good luck!
GregMiller wrote:You know he holds the 14ers speed record, right?
Seemed a polite and prudent reminder as he might encounter conditions novel to him.

Good luck, Andrew. Keep movin', keep dry, and keep warm. :-D
two lunches
14ers: 37  2 
13ers: 59
Trip Reports (0)

Post by two lunches »

get it Andrew! \:D/
“To walk in nature is to witness a thousand miracles.” – Mary Davis
SkaredShtles
Trip Reports (0)

Post by SkaredShtles »

Eli Boardman wrote:<snip>
Someone pursuing all of the winter 14ers, especially in one season, is certainly very aware of CAIC. On the other hand, I noticed that you haven't done any winter 14ers. I heard once that "the less you know, the more you think you know."
How do you know this? :?
14erAddict
14ers: 58  19 
13ers: 181 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by 14erAddict »

GOOD LUCK, ANDREW!!!!! \:D/
"In every walk with nature, one receives far more than he seeks" - John Muir
illusion7il
14ers: 58  2  57 
13ers: 261 1 1
Trip Reports (4)

Post by illusion7il »

Wish you the best of luck. Looks like Sneffels today. I would guess the Wilson group for tomorrow.