Kedrowski: 2017 Dr. Jon Kedrowski is teaching a class through REI...

The Classics
Forum rules
This forum is read-only
Cruiser
14ers: 50 
Trip Reports (6)

Re: Dr. Jon Kedrowski is teaching a class through REI...

Post by Cruiser »

taranichols_02 wrote:Look. We get it. You really hate Jon, and you’ll never see eye to eye with him. Point made. Yes, he’s a narcissist. Yes, he’s been a shitty person in the past on multiple occasions. Yes, that article was terribly written; he didn’t write that himself and it’s ridiculous to go on for page after page critiquing the bad editing of someone else and blaming him for it, for the sole purpose of nit picking his character even more. You hate him, WE GET IT. It’s called a brief bio; no, not everything in it is meant to be “brag worthy.” To come and “bump” this for the sole purpose of perpetuating a forum where the only purpose is to go on and on over analyzing and telling each other how much you hate him is a really sick personality trait. For goodness sake, be better than this guys. Enough is enough.

He’ll never change your minds and you’ll never change his about the skiing events of last spring. The new book and his presentation includes 13ers, 12ers, etc. It wasn’t just about the 14ers, it was more than just that. It really is a huge focal point for so many of you reading this to fixate on someone else’s life like this that has no bearing on your own. You hate him, you disagree with him, it’s ok. Move on and live and let be. Please, stop putting so much attention and time out of your own life into trash talking someone else. I’m sure you’re all pretty decent and respectable people with jobs and families. I don’t know you personally, I’m not judging you. But seriously, be better than this. Just because someone else has shitty character doesn’t mean you get a free ticket to stoop low too. Take the high road.

By the way. Hello, my name is Tara Nichols. Some of you might know me, some might not. I go by the alias Tara Dactyl. Go look anything up about me that you want, I encourage you to get to know me in person if you want to form any other opinions about me other than I’m an honest person that is trying to stick up for the good and I treat everyone that I meet respectfully. I’m an open book and I’ll never hide behind a computer screen or obscure username. I’m not doing any passive aggressive jabs at anyone, I’m just saying. Nice to meet you.

I know him better than anyone else here, and could be the first person to say no, he sure doesn’t deserve to be stood up for, but that’s not my point. I am not chiming in to convince you to change your minds and opinions on him at all, by all means keep on hating him. It’s not my problem, but honestly, stop jumping at the chance to start up new threads and just come here to bash him. Go do something that betters the world and is productive. I would do this for anyone wether they deserve it or not, I don’t think anyone deserves to have a hate forum spring up about them and their efforts to simply live out their passions (wether you agree with them or not) with good intentions to be sabotaged. I’m not here to defend him or change your minds about his actions and character. I come in peace and I hope none of you feel the need to come at me with any counter stances because I repeat, I’m not here to defend him.

If you’ve ever felt personally victimized by Jon or Regina George, you’ll probly never hear an apology or anything else you want to hear from him. So on his behalf, I’m sorry for the many of you that are deeply and personally offended by anything he’s said or done. You voiced your complaints, the presentation was cancelled, no need to dwell on him for years, be happy about yourselves. Move on, and let him do so also.

Everything about this post is awesome! Well said, Tara! Here's the thing though, Jon lied about something that would have been irrelevant if he'd just been honest about it. And there's a few folks around here who have worked harder than I can imagine to do things according to the standards set by guys like Lou and Dav and Ted, even when Dr Jon Kendrowski was either unwilling it unable to uphold them himself.

So, no, we're not going to let it go. We're going to stand up and say that Dr Jon failed. And it's not because we hate Jon, most of us don't even know him, but because we have, at least, the most vague appreciation for the combination of skill, luck, and giant freaking balls that it takes to ski them all from the summit. And that's something Dr Jon Kendrowski didn't freaking do, despite his claims to the contrary.
Where ever you are... There you are.
d_baker
14ers: 58  15 
13ers: 348 11
Trip Reports (59)

Post by d_baker »

I read Mahon's account on his conversation with Dr. Jon.
But do you think he and his wife, and Davenport and the others that have completed their long list of ski mountaineering accomplishments, sit around and bark about the ongoing antics of what Dr Jon tries to do?
I bet they don't discuss it nearly as much as it is posted about on here. Could be wrong though.
I also bet someone could start a new thread with just his name in the subject title, and not type one thing in the comment section, and the thread would grow to pages long! Love/hate.
RyGuy
14ers: 58  35 
13ers: 230 4
Trip Reports (1)

Post by RyGuy »

Tara- I fully read and respect you taking the time to post your thoughts on this. Thank you. Since you took the time to write that out, I'll see if I can articulate some of why there is such vitriol towards Jon, in the hopes that perhaps the feedback is taken as it's intended...feedback with the intention that it's passed on to Jon and his behavior changes.
I hope you will consider respecting my thoughts as well and reading further:

I think most people on this page wouldn't disagree that Jon is a very strong athlete and has accomplished some impressive things. I'll tip my hat to him on that and I think most people if they purely looked at his athletic accomplishments, would agree. No problem there.

BUT...the problem comes when he says he did things that he didn't fully do. It doesn't matter how great of an athlete you are. When you are dishonest about something, you lose credibility. Nobody cares how impressive 95% of what you did successfully, and fully accomplished is. When you then lie or in some way, shape or form are dishonest about the other 5%, that is a problem. People don't like someone who is dishonest. Period.

When people called Jon out on some things that were dishonest in his ski project, he had some choices to make about how he responded. Had he owned up to the dishonesty, and apologized for it, I think most people would have been ok forgiving him and moving on. Sure he might not have the same credibility he once did, but most people would have left him alone. (Sure, there would be that occasional dog that won't let go of the stick no matter what you do, but you will always have someone like that, especially as a public figure.)

Unfortunately for him, he chose to respond in about the worst possible way that brought even more people out of the woodwork to attack him. He not only defended his dishonesty, he then attacked his peers (Chris Davenport, chief among them) and doubled down on his dishonesty. As soon as he did that, he galvanized a lot of people against him. When questioned further and public events, he dodged the questions and was dismissive of people's attempts to get their questions answered. You watch any celebrity who lands in trouble, if they fight with their accusers, they look like the jerk, no matter who is "right".

Finally, people don't like someone who is dishonest making money or otherwise being successful off that dishonesty. They work hard to earn their living by being honest, and here is someone making money/fame from dishonesty. That doesn't rub anyone well. So when Jon goes out and does these events, and continues to promote himself by using the same dishonesty that people already hate, do you really expect them to be ok with that? It's offensive to a lot of people.

So...hopefully that summary helped you understand where a lot of people are coming from. You don't have to agree with it, but I hope you at least understand why from my point of view. Furthermore, I hope you will share it with Jon. I genuinely hope he decides to own up to his dishonesty/mistakes and apologize to the community. It would go a LONG way towards calming the anger people have and rebuilding credibility. Yeah, it might take him awhile to rebuild that credibility given how much damage is done, but the choice is his on if he really wants to have people going after him everywhere he goes, or people instead supporting him again.

Thanks for reading.

-Ryan
"Climbing mountains is the only thing I know that combines the best of the physical, spiritual, and emotional world all rolled into one." -Steve Gladbach
FireOnTheMountain
14ers: 53  1  23 
13ers: 269 29
Trip Reports (23)

Post by FireOnTheMountain »

taranichols_02 wrote:Just because someone else has shitty character doesn’t mean you get a free ticket to stoop low too. Take the high road.
I personally am not one to walk away from a gold mine.
Everyday is a G r A t E f U L Day here in the ID...?
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
14ers: 58  46  19 
13ers: 172 44 37
Trip Reports (2)

Post by BillMiddlebrook »

RyGuy wrote:Tara- I fully read and respect you taking the time to post your thoughts on this. Thank you. Since you took the time to write that out, I'll see if I can articulate some of why there is such vitriol towards Jon, in the hopes that perhaps the feedback is taken as it's intended...feedback with the intention that it's passed on to Jon and his behavior changes.
I hope you will consider respecting my thoughts as well and reading further:

I think most people on this page wouldn't disagree that Jon is a very strong athlete and has accomplished some impressive things. I'll tip my hat to him on that and I think most people if they purely looked at his athletic accomplishments, would agree. No problem there.

BUT...the problem comes when he says he did things that he didn't fully do. It doesn't matter how great of an athlete you are. When you are dishonest about something, you lose credibility. Nobody cares how impressive 95% of what you did successfully, and fully accomplished is. When you then lie or in some way, shape or form are dishonest about the other 5%, that is a problem. People don't like someone who is dishonest. Period.

When people called Jon out on some things that were dishonest in his ski project, he had some choices to make about how he responded. Had he owned up to the dishonesty, and apologized for it, I think most people would have been ok forgiving him and moving on. Sure he might not have the same credibility he once did, but most people would have left him alone. (Sure, there would be that occasional dog that won't let go of the stick no matter what you do, but you will always have someone like that, especially as a public figure.)

Unfortunately for him, he chose to respond in about the worst possible way that brought even more people out of the woodwork to attack him. He not only defended his dishonesty, he then attacked his peers (Chris Davenport, chief among them) and doubled down on his dishonesty. As soon as he did that, he galvanized a lot of people against him. When questioned further and public events, he dodged the questions and was dismissive of people's attempts to get their questions answered. You watch any celebrity who lands in trouble, if they fight with their accusers, they look like the jerk, no matter who is "right".

Finally, people don't like someone who is dishonest making money or otherwise being successful off that dishonesty. They work hard to earn their living by being honest, and here is someone making money/fame from dishonesty. That doesn't rub anyone well. So when Jon goes out and does these events, and continues to promote himself by using the same dishonesty that people already hate, do you really expect them to be ok with that? It's offensive to a lot of people.

So...hopefully that summary helped you understand where a lot of people are coming from. You don't have to agree with it, but I hope you at least understand why from my point of view. Furthermore, I hope you will share it with Jon. I genuinely hope he decides to own up to his dishonesty/mistakes and apologize to the community. It would go a LONG way towards calming the anger people have and rebuilding credibility. Yeah, it might take him awhile to rebuild that credibility given how much damage is done, but the choice is his on if he really wants to have people going after him everywhere he goes, or people instead supporting him again.

Thanks for reading.

-Ryan
Excellent post, Ryan, and a great way to end this latest "Dr. Jon" thread.
"When I go out, I become more alive. I just love skiing. The gravitational pull. When you ski steep terrain... you can almost get a feeling of flying." -Doug Coombs