Kedrowski: 2017 Dr. Jon Kedrowski is teaching a class through REI...

The Classics
Forum rules
This forum is read-only
madbuck
Trip Reports (6)

Re: Dr. Jon Kedrowski is teaching a class through REI...

Post by madbuck »

Matt wrote:
susanjoypaul wrote:This is why I seldom do book signings: they're time intensive and there is no money to be made. The rare times I do them it's for charity.
I miss your perspective around here, SJP. It helps that I agree with everything you just said, knowing how hard you have worked to establish yourself.
I agree! Although a book signing by Dr. Jon is a specific case of self-promoting self-promotion, by and large, I'd encourage or at least appreciate the efforts of authors in general promoting their work.
I imagine it could be a bit draining, especially for the stereotype of an introvert among authors (as well as avid hikers -- now imagine the Venn diagram!),

But, book events are great, moreso the events with a short talk/Q&A that creates. When it's about the work/art/information, I actually think it's a bit of an antidote to social decline. You get to hang out with people that actually read books! So I see it as a bit of cultural outreach, and I and others appreciate it.
12ersRule
14ers: 58 
13ers: 157
Trip Reports (4)

Post by 12ersRule »

FireOnTheMountain wrote:
susanjoypaul wrote:This guy is a symptom of a much bigger problem in our society. Everybody wants to be a star.
More so that everyone wants to live the infamous dirtbag lifestyle and not have a "real" job. Back in the day, you really had to work hard to do that, now you just spray hard online....although I still know of some low key badasses who fly under the radar and get out a ton and crush....

I spray therefore I am.
jmanner
14ers: 58  28  10 
13ers: 55 14 3
Trip Reports (15)

Post by jmanner »

Whoa Ted, this was some heavy stuff. Guy is a mess.

I can't imagine how annoying it must be for your wife and yourself to have this guy going around making this up, but there is no way you'll ever get any kind of satisfaction from this situation. Or any of us...

I mean, other than talking s**t about him on the internet.
A man has got to know his limitations.-Dr. Jonathan Hemlock or Harry Callahan or something F' it: http://youtu.be/lpzqQst-Sg8

'Life is too short to ski groomers'

"That man's only desire was to stand, once only, on the summit of that glorious wedge of rock...I think anyone who loves the mountains as much as that can claim to be a mountaineer, too."-Hermann Buhl, Nanga Parbat Pilgrimage
Sean Nunn
14ers: 35 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Sean Nunn »

susanjoypaul wrote:
Sean Nunn wrote:
Never discount the moral compromises people are willing to make when they can make money from it.
This has nothing to do with money. The only people who make money off book tours are those who already have a massive following. This is why I seldom do book signings: they're time intensive and there is no money to be made. The rare times I do them it's for charity.

All that aside, it's obvious this guy doesn't have to worry about money (people who worry about money spend a lot of time working for it, not doing presentations and book signings) and isn't in it for the money. I'm not a psychologist but I would guess this is all about celebrity. People will make utter fools out of themselves these days to get famous.

See Facebook, YouTube, and reality television. I've never seen so many lonely, desperate, starving-for-attention people in my life than I have in the past ten years. This guy is a symptom of a much bigger problem in our society. Everybody wants to be a star.
In that case it is even sadder.
"Thy righteousness is like the great mountains."
Psalm 36:6
BenfromtheEast
14ers: 58  10  16 
13ers: 37 8 3
Trip Reports (2)

Post by BenfromtheEast »

Sorry if I missed something by not reading the whole thread. I used the time instead to send this message to REI through the customer service link on the event page. Feel free to do the same. It's also tempting to register for the class and not show, hopefully preventing one more person from being subjected to his nonsense. But I'd hate to have someone from corporate look into this, notice the event is expecting a large turnout, and decide to let it ride.
Hello,

Jon Kedrowski is scheduled to give a presentation at the Fort Collins, CO REI on 11/15/17. I would like to express my disapproval of REI's support for Jon, who has made a habit of embellishing his activities in the mountains, often clearly lying about accomplishments such as having skied the Colorado 14ers. It is well documented that about a dozen of his claimed ski descents on the 14ers involved nothing more than carrying his skis to the summit, walking a ways down, and skiing a stretch for photographs. In other words, not only did he fail to ski all the 14ers in one season, as he claims: he hasn't even skied them all at any point. Jon has also lost the respect of nearly every serious Colorado mountaineer with antics such as leaving his business card (trash) on summits, documenting himself throwing rocks down a snow-filled couloir in spring, and using a life-threatening accident involving a complete stranger to promote himself and his books on the Internet.

Please reconsider your affiliation with this person. He does not represent values consistent with a respectable corporate mission.
Ulla
14ers: 37  17 
13ers: 34 3
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Ulla »

Is John Fielder aware of JK's hyperbole? It seems John Fielder wouldn't want to be presenting with JK if he was aware.
tmahon
14ers: 58  57  6 
13ers: 206 102
Trip Reports (2)

Post by tmahon »

gb wrote:Thanks Ted. That's amazing that he still thinks that not only did he legitimately skied the 14ers, he even raised the bar when he did so. And now he's trying to further legitimize himself with a book and book tour. No question about it, it's frustrating for anyone who has ever put the time in to do something the right way.
It is frustrating, and it's a bad example for the next generation who might want to ski these peaks themselves someday.

Sorry you have to compete with this. I'm not sure what you do when your competitor is out there making up stuff to qualify him as a guidebook author. I don't know how you counter that.
benlen
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 15 9 1
Trip Reports (4)

Post by benlen »

Wow Ted––that is a through and damning account. I've met John briefly simply through our connection in Vail. It's sad our town bears this ignominy. There are many fine ski mountaineers that live in our valley (ex: Joel Paula) who have skied many of the high peaks true to form.

Your report of Kedrowski being a mediocre skier jives with my own observations. For someone who is apparently so proud of being from here, he's a remarkably poor alpine skier. His GoPro videos show this, but hearing it from the best of the best just confirms what we already know.
joshjespersen
Trip Reports (0)

Post by joshjespersen »

Dr. Jon muddying the waters of 14er skiing once again. Let's not let him taint something we all cherish, and get back to the stoke of riding these incredible peaks. I put together a video of splitting all 54 14ers last season, check it out if you have time, and get fired up!

https://youtu.be/DUM59lUe_MM

Thanks again to all the 14er skiers and rippers before me, whether you did em all, or just a few. You all paved the way for the rest of us to dream big.
Last edited by joshjespersen on Wed Nov 01, 2017 1:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
benlen
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 15 9 1
Trip Reports (4)

Post by benlen »

joshjespersen wrote:Dr. Jon muddying the waters of 14er skiing once again. Let's not let him taint something we all cherish, and get back to the stoke of riding these incredible peaks. I put together a video of splitting all 54 14ers last season, check it out if you have time, and get fired up!

https://youtu.be/OwoS6e8HcFs

Sorry about the quality, I can't figure out how to load it at 1080. Can someone help with that?

Thanks again to all the 14er skiers and rippers before me, whether you did em all, or just a few. You all paved the way for the rest of us to dream big.
Hey Josh, when did you upload the video? Did you upload in HD? I'm a pro videographer so happy to assist. Shoot me a PM sometime.
BenfromtheEast
14ers: 58  10  16 
13ers: 37 8 3
Trip Reports (2)

Post by BenfromtheEast »

I already got a response e-mail from REI acknowledging my comment and saying it would be forwarded to the appropriate department. If anyone else is interested in contacting REI, I used this page and filed it under "All Other Questions":
https://rei.custhelp.com/app/contact_us#tabs-3
WVMountaineer
14ers: 58  4 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by WVMountaineer »

LURE wrote:
painless4u2 wrote:
billycox wrote:

Real BBQ comes from North Carolina. I'm not sure what that stuff in Memphis is.

Uh, no. REAL BBQ comes from Texas, no two ways about it pardner. And I mean brisket. The rest is just not even close. Not sure what his has to do with "Dr" J though.
Real BBQ comes from any guy or gal with a smoker, passion, a tried and true recipe, and quality meat. This can be found in any state from Florida to Alaska.
I'm still questioning the kind of meat. After moving here, I was puzzled when I found out that when somebody says "BBQ" that they meant anything cooked on the grill -> from hot dogs to steaks to actual BBQ. Where I grew up, that called grilling and BBQ at the very least has Barbecue sauce on it but most likely melt in your mouth smoked Pork, Ribs, or Brisket.
"There are two ways to measure life; the number of days you simply exist or the number of days you spend truly living your human experience." 14ers.com user goingup