What's wrong with this picture?

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
Please do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website. For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Scott P
14ers: 51 16
13ers: 41 13
Trip Reports (16)

What's wrong with this picture?

Post by Scott P » Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:28 pm

I was just searching on Amazon and this came up.

What's wrong with this picture?:

https://www.amazon.com/Hiking-Scene-Mex ... 69&sr=8-26

I'm slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
seano
14ers: 56
13ers: 131
Trip Reports (3)

Re: What's wrong with this picture?

Post by seano » Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:57 am

Hahaha! What's *not* wrong with that picture? I didn't realize New Mexico's glaciers were that big (or that humans wore sunglasses during the last ice age).
greenonion
14ers: 33 1
13ers: 1

Post by greenonion » Thu Feb 23, 2017 6:04 am

What?!! Mt Rainier is not in NM?
jrbren_vt
14ers: 4
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (2)

Post by jrbren_vt » Thu Feb 23, 2017 7:20 am

This is common in pop culture. Gifts shops in the Adirondacks have Adirondack shirts that show peaks that look like the Grand Tetons. Very good movie IMHO, but remember "The Deer Hunter" (with DeNiro, Streep, et al) when they went hunting in Pennsylvania and they were near a peak that looked an awful lot like Shuksan. Pennsylvania did have some impressive glaciers back in the 70's.
Best Regards - John
kaiman
14ers: List not added
Trip Reports (10)

Post by kaiman » Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:31 am

LOL - So Rainier used to be in New Mexico but then moved to Washington State? :lol:
"I want to keep the mountains clean of racism, religion and politics. In the mountains this should play no role."

- Joe Stettner

"I haven't climbed Everest, skied to the poles, or sailed single-handed around the world. The goals I set out to accomplish aren't easily measured or quantified by world records or "firsts." The reasons I climb, and the climbs I do, are about more than distance or altitude, they are about breaking barriers within myself."

- Andy Kirkpatrick
TomPierce
Trip Reports (2)

Post by TomPierce » Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:48 am

kaiman wrote:LOL - So Rainier used to be in New Mexico but then moved to Washington State?
Yes. It's called plate tectonics. Sort of like the Hawaiian volcanoes, old volcanoes migrate with the shifting plates. In this case, Rainier migrated NW, over the Rockies, Wasatch and Cascade mountain ranges. Soon it will be in downtown Anchorage.

Geez, I thought everyone knew that...
MtnHub
14ers: 28
13ers: 24
Trip Reports (50)

Post by MtnHub » Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:24 am

jrbren_vt wrote:This is common in pop culture. Gifts shops in the Adirondacks have Adirondack shirts that show peaks that look like the Grand Tetons.
Yes. Our favorite store to buy nice 'seconds' T-shirts is the Five and Dime store in Estes Park. For the most part they are really nice, good-quality T-shirts, very artistic but not always accurate in their designs. They are probably produced in Taiwan or somewhere. But for $4 or less a shot, can't complain.

My wife has one with a very Colorado-like mountain scene, but it is identified: "Arkansas, Natural State." I recently wore my "Newport, Rhode Island, Regatta Classic" T-shirt (a very nice looking one with a sailboat theme) when I was visiting my mom in Yorktown VA. We were eating lunch in a rehab cafeteria and another local resident noticed it and asked where I bought it. I told him, "Estes Park, CO." :lol:
painless4u2
14ers: 58
Trip Reports (8)

Post by painless4u2 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:35 am

New Mexico.jpg
New Mexico.jpg (1.09 MiB) Viewed 1123 times
I dunno, maybe not too far off...
Bad decisions often make good stories.

IPAs + Ambien = "14ers" post (Bill M.)

In their hearts humans plan their course, but the Lord establishes their steps. Proverbs 16:9
bergsteigen
14ers: 58 52 18
13ers: 519 100 18
Trip Reports (233)

Post by bergsteigen » Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:40 am

Reminds me of one of my painting professors comment on my really bad Monet rendition. Just because it looks like that in a photo, doesn't mean you can't take an artistic rendition of it (for better or worse).
"Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games." - Ernest Hemingway (or was it Barnaby Conrad?)
Your knees only get so many bumps in life, don't waste them on moguls!
“No athlete is truly tested until they’ve stared an injury in the face and come out on the other side stronger than ever” -anonymous

http://otinasadventures.com @otina
kaiman
Trip Reports (10)

Post by kaiman » Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:17 pm

painless4u2 wrote:I dunno, maybe not too far off...
Really? It looks like a case of super-imposing the hiker on the background to me:
New Mexico.jpeg
New Mexico.jpeg (103.34 KiB) Viewed 1079 times
Mount Rainier.jpeg
Mount Rainier.jpeg (736.51 KiB) Viewed 1079 times
"I want to keep the mountains clean of racism, religion and politics. In the mountains this should play no role."

- Joe Stettner

"I haven't climbed Everest, skied to the poles, or sailed single-handed around the world. The goals I set out to accomplish aren't easily measured or quantified by world records or "firsts." The reasons I climb, and the climbs I do, are about more than distance or altitude, they are about breaking barriers within myself."

- Andy Kirkpatrick
painless4u2
14ers: 58
Trip Reports (8)

Post by painless4u2 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:26 pm

kaiman wrote:
painless4u2 wrote:I dunno, maybe not too far off...
Really?
I see your point. Although they left out the highway in the poster! :mrgreen:
Bad decisions often make good stories.

IPAs + Ambien = "14ers" post (Bill M.)

In their hearts humans plan their course, but the Lord establishes their steps. Proverbs 16:9
NM_Hiker

Post by NM_Hiker » Thu Feb 23, 2017 4:11 pm

Totally misleading poster. There are no mountains in New Mexico. And if you hear good things about skiing at Taos, it's a total lie. Skiing at Taos sucks.