Kahtoola hiking crampons for Longs Peak

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
TeamTayberry
Trip Reports (0)

Kahtoola hiking crampons for Longs Peak

Post by TeamTayberry »

Thinking of hitting up Longs in the future, winter or spring, and would only go with a good weather window and snow conditions. Also, we would be doing the keyhole route. Which we have done numerous times in the past.

The specific question I have right now is if the Kahtoola hiking crampons would be enough for Longs. We all have microspikes right now. Thanks in advance for your replies and thanks for all the advice myself and family have gleaned from this site since 2009.
seano
14ers: 56 
13ers: 218
Trip Reports (3)

Re: Kahtoola hiking crampons for Longs Peak

Post by seano »

That really depends upon conditions, of course. In my experience, Kahtoola KTS crampons are good for anything where you won't be front-pointing; if you're comfortable French-stepping, you can get up some pretty steep terrain. I wouldn't use them on Dreamweaver, but they were great for the standard route on Gannett.
pbakwin
13ers: 64
Trip Reports (19)

Post by pbakwin »

I've done the Keyhole many times with Kahtoola KTS steel or aluminum crampons & running shoes. For me it's the right set-up for that route (along with an ax) in spring conditions. Have used Kahtoolas also on Keplingers, the Loft, Lambs Slide & the North Face.
TeamTayberry
Trip Reports (0)

Post by TeamTayberry »

Thanks much, confirms what I was thinking.
JerryB
14ers: 40  1 
13ers: 6
Trip Reports (0)

Post by JerryB »

Bump
Marmot96
14ers: 57  6  9 
13ers: 22 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Marmot96 »

JerryB wrote:Bump
Why though?
AndrewLyonsGeibel
14ers: 9 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by AndrewLyonsGeibel »

I'm interested in people's experiences with these. Particularly durability on rock. I tend to do late fall or late spring hikes in my insulated trail runners + gaiters so really can't use a technical crampon because of the flex. Sometimes having just a bit more than micro spikes seems like it would be nice.
justiner
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138
Trip Reports (40)

Post by justiner »

The interface between a mountaineering boot and a full, technical crampon is very important - you don't want any slip when you're kicking into a steep wall of ice. The mountaineering boot's rigidity is also important to overcome fatigue in say, your foot and calf.

Wearing a hiking crampon on trail runners is probably not going to give you any of that, and Kahtoolas don't have front points anyways. The crampon points are 3/4" (short) and springy. If you get the aluminum ones, they'll be lighter, but are easier to wear down.

So saying all that, they're great on snow climbs at a low/moderate angle, and I've used them on Longs on all the climbs Peter has (and I think on all those routes, with Peter!). I've also used them the Angel of Shavano and Cross Couloir, and wouldn't hesitate to use them on any other low/moderate angle couloir where I'm not expecting to hit full on ice. Packed snow is just fine - anything where you can kick a step is fine. The flex works in keeping the crampon on a shoe like a trailrunner.

Getting across the snow slopes of the Keyhole route in late Spring/early summer in Kahtoola hiking crampons would work well. Microspikes have their place, but I think it's in just packed snow/icy trails. I call their dependability into question, as I keep breaking the elastometer part of them merely putting them on.

If I was to approach a rocky section of a hike - say I just climbed up the Loft on Longs with the crampons and now I'm on the top, which is windblown, I would be mindful and take the hiking crampons off to extend their life. I'll have to look at a new pair of them and see how much wear are on my atm. The points are pretty blunt - basically a 1/4" flat part protruding out.
The_Long_Ranger_(@longrangerjustin)_•_Instagram_photos_and_videos_-_2017-02-10_12.19.35.png
The_Long_Ranger_(@longrangerjustin)_•_Instagram_photos_and_videos_-_2017-02-10_12.19.35.png (896.58 KiB) Viewed 2891 times
seano
13ers: 218
Trip Reports (3)

Post by seano »

Get the steel, so you don't need to worry about rocks so much. They're pretty fast to take on and off with their buckles, but it's still annoying to do that all the time. My aluminums are worn down to nubs. That said, Kahtoolas, Sportivas, wool socks and bread bags are amazingly effective...
Gannett, July 2014
Gannett, July 2014
gannett10.jpg (935.19 KiB) Viewed 2879 times
unclegar
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 27
Trip Reports (9)

Post by unclegar »

I have also used my Kahtoola mini crampons (steel) on Loft, NF, Lambslide as well as Bell Cord, Skywalker, Dead Dog, etc, etc. I got the steel for better wear. They are very easy to take on/off and very light. As Justin mentioned you would want more for front pointing but otherwise I have been very happy with mine.
...the mountain peaks belong to Him. -- PS 95:4

“All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.”
― Charles M. Schulz