Joe Grant's Tour de 14er

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
pbakwin
14ers: 56 
13ers: 64
Trip Reports (19)

Re: Joe Grant's Tour de 14er

Post by pbakwin »

Probably Fri. Rats, I have to take my cat to the vet on Fri. Anyway, that would make it 31 days and change!
Stevo
14ers: 54 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Stevo »

I wonder if he'll do G&T from Loveland Pass, or go around to Steven's Gulch.
justiner
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138
Trip Reports (40)

Post by justiner »

or via... Montezuma!
Stevo
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Stevo »

justiner wrote:or via... Montezuma!
Nice!!

Then Argentine Pass back over? How's that on a bike?
justiner
Trip Reports (40)

Post by justiner »

The east side of Argentine is fine on a bike - it's just a rough, albeit steep 4wd road. Getting to Argentine though would mean basically sumitting Edwards, then going down to the saddle of Edwards and Argentine, all of which is pretty much off trail.

...could just take the standard trail down? Is it open to bikes? the TH picket at the summer TH should state that.
waolsen
14ers: 40  2 
13ers: 20
Trip Reports (0)

Post by waolsen »

So are we to assume that he climbed Bross and just doesn't want to publicize it? After seeing the BS that Jurek had to deal with at the end of his AT record it's probably not worth bringing attention to trespassing. If he didn't hit Bross than no FKT, right? Justiner, I assume you tagged it. I'm hoping/betting he did bag it.

I'm not trying to create controversy and hesitated even posting this. It's been awesome to follow his journey.
"The mountains are calling and I must go"
the toninator
14ers: 22 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by the toninator »

No, if it's trespassing it should be excluded.
justiner
Trip Reports (40)

Post by justiner »

It's an interesting choice not to summit Bross (or at least say he did not summit...). I "officially" ascended to the highest, legal point you can get to Bross, before you would go over the private property line, as I could best figure out by my GPS + map to "count" Bross. That point was something Bill proposed about as the, "legal summit" (I believe) There's a cairn/windscreen when I was up there, marking the point. You can do your own research to see where the private property line supposedly is.

I did it this way because those are the rules I gave myself, before doing my challenge:
Bross is the odd-mountain out, as the summit is on private land that is not officially accessible to the public – it’s perfectly fine for this Challenge to ascend to the highest, legal height you are allowed to.There is no real physical difficulty after the private property line, that a Challenger will miss. Bross is Bross.
http://longranger.justinsimoni.com/tour14er/rules/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My idea was that getting as high as possible - and certainly higher than 14,000' was a good compromise between summiting but breaking the law (which is also against my rules) and skipping it all together *shrugs*. The route is different though, if you go for Bross - everyone loves that descent when making a loop, right?! :)

To be fair, Joe never said he was following my rules, or going after my "record" - just that he was doing a similar challenge, so it's up to him on what he does, and how he does it.

Joe has stated that,
Adhering to the “do it yourself” bikepacking racing ethic, I will receive no outside assistance, relying only on small towns for resupply. I will employ light and fast tactics and carry a minimal amount of gear. The objective of the trip is to inspire people to pursue local adventures under their own power.
http://alpine-works.com/2016/07/the-tour-de-14ers/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And I believe he's succeeding in that ;)
FireOnTheMountain
14ers: 53  1  23 
13ers: 269 29
Trip Reports (23)

Post by FireOnTheMountain »

pbakwin wrote:I mean, he rode his bike on the Durango-Silverton train track, for goodness sake! What the...?!
That is an interesting dichotomy, trespassing RR right of way. I couldn't care one way or the other though, go Joe.
Everyday is a G r A t E f U L Day here in the ID...?
ezabielski
14ers: 43  1 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ezabielski »

waolsen wrote:So are we to assume that he climbed Bross and just doesn't want to publicize it?
His GPS track doesn't show him being on the mountain at all. So either he left his GPS on Lincoln, went out and back to Bross, picked it up again and descended, or he just didn't do it.
waolsen
14ers: 40  2 
13ers: 20
Trip Reports (0)

Post by waolsen »

Joe has stated that,
Adhering to the “do it yourself” bikepacking racing ethic, I will receive no outside assistance, relying only on small towns for resupply. I will employ light and fast tactics and carry a minimal amount of gear. The objective of the trip is to inspire people to pursue local adventures under their own power.
http://alpine-works.com/2016/07/the-tour-de-14ers/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And I believe he's succeeding in that ;)[/quote]

I agree! You have inspired me as well. I'm blown away by the logistics and commitment of this project.
"The mountains are calling and I must go"
Stevo
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Stevo »

ezabielski wrote:
waolsen wrote:So are we to assume that he climbed Bross and just doesn't want to publicize it?
His GPS track doesn't show him being on the mountain at all. So either he left his GPS on Lincoln, went out and back to Bross, picked it up again and descended, or he just didn't do it.
Looking at his times I wouldn't think this happened. But he is incredibly fast!