Talus Monkey's final wish

Threads related to Colorado mountaineering accidents but please keep it civil and respectful. Friends and relatives of fallen climbers will be reading these posts.
Forum rules
Please be respectful when posting - family and friends of fallen climbers might be reading this forum.
OBX Fisherman
Trip Reports (0)

Talus Monkey's final wish

Post by OBX Fisherman »

David stated clearly in his will he wished to be cremated. A small portion of his ashes will return to NC with his mother. With his mothers blessing the balance of his ashes will be divided evenly and one container will be held by his extended family in Denver. The other portion will return with me to NC. The portion in Denver will be held until the memorial hike to Humboldt where the ashes can be scattered to the wind. I will take the last portion of ashes to the Outer Banks of North Carolina and scatter his ashes on the beaches he so dearly loved.

Gary
88 XJ, 2 door, RE 4.5" lift + LA, 33" Swamper LTB, Hurculined, Caged, locked.
62 CJ-5 in process of restification.
92 4Runner, POS DD
85 yota truck, doner vehicle
Charla aka Chulabelle
14ers: 13 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Charla aka Chulabelle »

will this be the june hike up humbolt or the august hike??
Gone missing in the shrewd, sharp moon
Full and too soon
Was my fickle doom
As I crawled among its hungry womb
Charla Stilling
reiwan
Trip Reports (0)

Post by reiwan »

I think its the august hike, however I could be wrong. But I have a 50% chance of being right. If only Vegas had this good of odds :P
highaltmama
14ers: 5 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by highaltmama »

I'm wanting to know if it is the June hike or August hike as well...
kiddrockies
14ers: 30 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by kiddrockies »

That's pretty beautiful, really. Do you guys know a Matt Redman song called "Blessed be your Name?" Reminds me of that. One of my fav's.
The Lord God is my strength, and He will make my feet like hind's feet, and He will make me to walk upon the high places.
Habakkuk 3:19

And after he had dismissed the crowds, he went up the mountain by himself to pray.
Matthew 14:23
tshesky
14ers: 17 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by tshesky »

kiddrockies wrote:That's pretty beautiful, really. Do you guys know a Matt Redman song called "Blessed be your Name?" Reminds me of that. One of my fav's.
Think I've heard it. It is a good tune.
For God so loved the world that he gave his only Son, so that everyone who believes in him will not perish but have eternal life. (John 3:16)
USAKeller
14ers: 58  24  24 
13ers: 169 3 7
Trip Reports (46)

Post by USAKeller »

kiddrockies wrote:Do you guys know a Matt Redman song called "Blessed be your Name?"
Funny, I just listened to it this morning. But, "I'll Fly Away" by Jars of Clay is my favorite!

I wonder if his ashes will go on the June or August hike too- I'll talk to Gary.
Last edited by USAKeller on Sat Jun 02, 2007 8:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pahiker
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Pahiker »

Its very difficult for a person who never met another to adequately express their grief for another(s). I looked forward to reading every trip report TalusMonkey posted because his passion fueled each and every other member on this board. In fact, July will represent the first time in my life that I will ever see a 14'er. The legacy that David gave to us will inspire us all. I would imagine that complete strangers (to him) will summit a 14er and think of him. I know that my first trek will end with him in our thoughts as we enjoy the sights and sounds that he so dearly loved. Thats an amazing testament to an amazing person. So may the peace of nature hold all who shared in his life, may the mountain tops remember his presence, and may you begin your ascent of the great mountains in Heaven... Godspeed David Worthington.
Life is short...so climb those mountains!
Skitch14
14ers: 2 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Skitch14 »

"I'll Fly Away" is definitely a good one. The cool thing about it is that it has been recorded by so many people in so many styles, from an old hymn, to Johnny Cash, to Jars of Clay. It also reminds me of the movie "Oh Brother Where Art Thou", a great movie.

Anyways, definitely didnt mean to hijack the thread. Best of luck with carrying out David's final wishes and God bless.
upndown
14ers: 9 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by upndown »

The older I grow, the more often I wonder if the people I've encountered in my life are better off having met me. I try to live with that in mind - doesn't always happen, but I try. As I look back on this past week, I have a hard time figuring out why Talus Monkey's passing has affected me like it has. I never met him. Nevertheless, I've been affected. I've laughed with him, lived through him, climbed with him via this site for over a year. Last week, I saw the original "Climber injured..." post and clicked on it to see how many entries into it there would be before someone second guessed some climber's desision to blah blah blah. It only had a few entries at the time, but TM and USAkeller were mentioned...not confirmed, just mentioned. I instantly became glued - hitting refresh every few minutes. When I read that it really was them, goose bumps covered my entire body. I stayed glued for hours and finally went to bed when there was talk of going back up to get the stashed gear. I thought 'they wouldn't be discussing that if he were stuck up there in bad shape'. It was a comforting thought. When I logged back in and saw the memoriam thread, I thought, 'man, they aren't cutting TM any slack at all this time' and I thought about all the fun people were going to have with whatever tale was spun from this latest adventure. Then I realized the truth and my eyes welled up and I swallowed...big...for a guy that I never met. How weird is that? But, back to the original thought - I think there are a whole lot of people David never even met that are better off simply because he shared his adventures on this site. I'll miss that.
Dreams don't care if you are happy. They only care that they have been lived.
jaysnapp
14ers: 34 
13ers: 16
Trip Reports (0)

Post by jaysnapp »

I have lurked on this site for about 2 years and this event has pushed me into my first post. I can totally relate to the previous post. I saw the brief channel 9 news story and logged onto 14ers to see if there was any other info. Having read so many of TalusMonkey's and USAKellers comments over the past couple of years, I have also felt an incredible loss without ever meeting David. I would have to assume there are many others out there that have lurked for a while and did not realize the impact this site had on their lives. I just wanted to say think you to everyone who is actively posting and giving advise over the last couple of years. The support on this site in the past week is possibly the most incredible thing I have witnessed in a long time. Thanks to all of Davids close friends and USAKeller for sharing so many stories and photo's. What a beautiful plan for his ashes.
mtnview
14ers: 27 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by mtnview »

Hey Caroline,

I have that Jars of Clay CD Redemption Songs also. Although it is a bit countryish I like the song "On Jordan's Stormy Banks" just for the meaningfulness of the words. It will be nice when this fallen world get's a redo.

God Bless,

Allan
2 Peter 3:9 The Lord is not slack concerning his promise (of his return), as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance.
http://www.truedino.com/colorado14ers.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;