Forum rules
This forum is read-only
pfiore1
14ers: 58  38  18 
13ers: 183 43 14
Trip Reports (0)

Re: JK's 2016 Ski Project

Post by pfiore1 »

fahixson wrote:This summary is not accurate. Go back and read the forum thread and/or JK's blog from 2012. He went to Snowmass that day specifically to help an injured climber and did not "leave them alone for your own personal interests, making the summit." I'm not trying to criticize you, but I don't think you have read the whole story. Additionally, at the time of the accident, the injured climber's family thanked JK profusely for his assistance.
Copy that, you're right, there are too many posts, threads, blogs, etc. to reasonably read and be completely informed. If there are 100 posts, many including attachments, I just cannot read them all and I unreliably "trust" what has been recently said. With so much information out there it is hard, if not impossible to separate the truths from the half truths. Unless info comes from a very reliable source, who knows what is true and what is just opinionated.
Dissent Is Patriotic

Support your local Search and Rescue agency. Be safe and respect your wilderness.

Custer County Search and Rescue, Inc... https://www.custersar.org

Custer County SAR Facebook... https://www.facebook.com/CusterSAR/?fref=photo

Colorado Search and Rescue... https://coloradosar.org

CORSAR Fund... https://cdola.colorado.gov/funding-prog ... escue-fund
gb
14ers: 56  54  6 
13ers: 67 54
Trip Reports (26)

Post by gb »

SnowAlien wrote:Thanks Jim for digging up the articles. Good stuff. Here's another good one. Whatever has happened to Sean Crossen of Crested Butte? Has he ever finished the project?

http://www.aspentimes.com/article/20060 ... 8/60606006" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not so bothered by publicity of JK (Dav is a sponsored, pro skier, aporzak is sponsored), but I do care about the style of skiing and lines. And personally, skiing rocks or watered down lines on 14ers makes me cringe! Holy Cross and Pikes are meant to be skied via Cross couloir and Bottomless pit cirquit, respectively. Skiing North Ridge on HC is a good winter route, but doesn't constitute a ski descent in my mind. Pikes to Crags TH has what - 10 degree angle and is never filled in? How's that a ski accomplishment?
Sean was with us when we skied Capitol and decided that finishing was no longer in his plans, and waited for us down at Pierre Lakes. I'd like to see Pam Rice and Chris Webster finish one of these years, as they've been at 50+ descents for quite some time now.

Skiing off a peak is skiing off a peak, no matter the route, though obviously some routes are better than others. The N side of Tabeguache is a great descent, for instance, and it's far more aesthetic to ski it separately from Shavano.

This thread really opened up a can of worms. I'll just say good luck to JK, hope he's safe and successful.
MonGoose
14ers: 58  16  17 
13ers: 51 11 1
Trip Reports (16)

Post by MonGoose »

SolarAlex wrote:i really just want to see one of these business cards that he leaves on the summits
A friend of mine removed this card from one of the Bells last summer.
Jon_Kedrowski.jpg
Jon_Kedrowski.jpg (232.34 KiB) Viewed 4747 times
C-Shepguy
14ers: 19  2 
13ers: 44 1
Trip Reports (2)

Post by C-Shepguy »

MonGoose wrote:
SolarAlex wrote:i really just want to see one of these business cards that he leaves on the summits
A friend of mine removed this card from one of the Bells last summer.
Jon_Kedrowski.jpg

Interesting variety of opinions on this guy. I've never met him so I can't say much. THOUGHT OF THIS COMMENT AND TYPED IT IN UNDER 8 SECONDS.
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
14ers: 58  46  19 
13ers: 172 44 37
Trip Reports (2)

Post by BillMiddlebrook »

lodgling wrote:
AnnaG22 wrote:It would be really interesting if Davenport or Dawson chimed in, or even either of the Mahons (or Jordan, or... et cetera...but we've already had some enlightening and valuable input from skimo titans in the community)
There are threads from the past (before those folks finished their projects) discussing "ethics" where now-finishers shared their positions regarding what constitutes skiing a Colorado 14er. I think that it is pretty clear what they would say about Dr. Jon's claim. It seems most of the skiers tend not to contribute here once they have finished. Moneymike and gb are notable exceptions. Here is Brittany's (from today) and gb's (from awhile back) takes on the ethics of Mt. Wilson and in general:

http://14erskiers.com/blog/

Mt. Wilson is a tough one and I think that there is some disagreement there. From doumall's Mt. Wilson TR http://www.14ers.com/php14ers/triprepor ... n&ski=Only: "The standard for this mountain is still a bit unclear as far as a legitimate ski descent. Today, we may have added a bit more clarity, or perhaps more ambiguity to this feat."

He should think about (also) marketing himself as a resume writer.
Rob, you're right about Mt. Wilson. After carefully looking from a line off of the summit last month, we ended up having to ski from the notch, like most people. I was pretty bummed when we got to the base of the east face and I couldn't see a line off the upper face. Oh well. Good thing I like repeats, especially ski repeats. I plan to go back and get it directly from the summit when I can time it right, kinda like the Blanca trip last year. :)

- Dr. Bill
"When I go out, I become more alive. I just love skiing. The gravitational pull. When you ski steep terrain... you can almost get a feeling of flying." -Doug Coombs
Brian Kalet
14ers: 58  12  2 
13ers: 304 44 13
Trip Reports (144)

Post by Brian Kalet »

Looking at Chris Davenport's skithe14ers.com site, I am not seeing Challenger listed and am curious if anyone knows if he has skied it?
Monster5
14ers: 58  31 
13ers: 289 37
Trip Reports (27)

Post by Monster5 »

First off, humorous, unrelated, these prices.

Second, compare the detail given to his Professional Guide certifications compared to his high school accolades, from here:
Professional Certifications
-Avalanche I and II Certified (AMGA & NOLS Equivalent including Backcountry
Mountaineering) Wilderness First Aid and CPR Certified
-ESRI Program Trained and Certified in Advanced GIS Really? A geography phd got GISP certified? Right
-15 Passenger Van Certification
This counts for "Professional Guide?" Sweet.

Third, from the same source in the "Short Resume of Major Career Sports Accomplishments" section, what's up with all the "winter ascents" in April and May?
Tallgrass: At least JK only used the injured, not the deceased to promote his book, so far as I know
From the same source, Everest avalanche deaths, the previous years' Everest deaths, "avoiding the Taliban" a la the Nanga Parbat massacre seem to be popular interview topics and keynote speaking subjects.

Jomah - I recall him responding to the Snowmass thread. That didn't go over so well and for good reason. His response was very self-absorbed. I don't have much respect for this guy.

Sincerely,
Monster5, P. Guide
"The road to alpine climbing is pocked and poorly marked, ending at an unexpectedly closed gate 5 miles from the trailhead." - MP user Beckerich
lodgling
14ers: 58  58  2 
13ers: 18 1
Trip Reports (12)

Post by lodgling »

How many hours of uninterrupted REM sleep does one need to get to claim a summit sleep? I can't imagine sleeping on the Sunlight summit block. Now that is intense.
aholle88
14ers: 57  24  26 
13ers: 300 29 3
Trip Reports (1)

Post by aholle88 »

SnowAlien wrote:Pikes are meant to be skied via Cross couloir and Bottomless pit cirquit, respectively. Skiing North Ridge on HC is a good winter route, but doesn't constitute a ski descent in my mind. Pikes to Crags TH has what - 10 degree angle and is never filled in? How's that a ski accomplishment?
True summit descents from Pikes only count if done from the roof of the summit house, which moneymike and myself are the only ones that I know of who accomplished that last year (though I'm sure there was others). Last year we rode a continuous line from the roof, down the east face, all the way to Barr Camp.

That was also MY skin track he used up to Devil's playground, from that same day. There is actually some decent skiing down from the ridge near Devil's to treeline on the Crags route, more in the 20-25 range.
SchralpTheGnar
14ers: 51  49  1 
13ers: 38 30
Trip Reports (22)

Post by SchralpTheGnar »

Brian Kalet wrote:Looking at Chris Davenport's skithe14ers.com site, I am not seeing Challenger listed and am curious if anyone knows if he has skied it?
He didn't, he said it was too extreme and not worth risking at this point in his life.
justiner
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138
Trip Reports (40)

Post by justiner »

That's the same biz card I found, so I'm not posting the photo I took while in my state of rage. I was going to post it the day I found it on The Instagrams, but thought better of it.

And I didn't find the business card in the summit register - I found it near the summit, on top of a pile of rocks, being kept there with a small rock on top of the card itself. I picked it up, kinda went, "WTF?!", and could see two people heading down - it was him, I'm almost sure of it - the weather truly was horrible that day (snowing), and I saw no one else on the trail. I'd have gone after them, but I had around 40+ mountains in my legs in a few weeks, and I was pretty wiped. This was also the day that I did Princeton, and I bumped into SAR who were looking for a lost party (I don't think they made it), and I crossed paths with Brett, who pulled the plug pretty shortly afterwards. All and all, it was a pretty crappy day.

We're all smarter about what LNT means in a Wilderness area. Leaving your business card advertising your outdoor leadership services is unacceptable. Kinda owe me one for packing out your trash, Jon. :iluvbeer:

-- King Over All The Lesser Animals Justin
Muldstar
14ers: 58 
Trip Reports (2)

Post by Muldstar »

This thread has motivated me to go back and watch Chris Davenport's Ski the 14ers film. Can't beat the conditions and footage off Pryamid and North Maroon. Makes my stomach queasy every time. Crazy stuff!