Forum rules
This forum is read-only
PaliKona
14ers: 20 
13ers: 17
Trip Reports (0)

Re: JK's 2016 Ski Project

Post by PaliKona »

I hate selfie stick ski descents. Hate them. Are you so narcissistic that you need a video of yourself while skiing poorly (from holding the stick)? So lame.
BenfromtheEast
14ers: 58  10  16 
13ers: 37 8 3
Trip Reports (2)

Post by BenfromtheEast »

His video from Elbert popped up on Facebook as he was starting the project. I resisted giving him a hard time there for some reason. First, he introduces the video by saying it's 2015. So I'd say the whole project doesn't count.

More importantly, don't miss his last comment:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wSqBVkHNwPk&t=1m57s

#strapiton

:wft:
SchralpTheGnar
14ers: 51  49  1 
13ers: 38 30
Trip Reports (22)

Post by SchralpTheGnar »

I've never been one to adhere to the 1000k vertical on the peaks that are connected by saddles because I don't think it matters all that much. For me it's more about making sure you summit the peak, ski from as close to the summit as possible, most often the exact summit, and make sure you're transparent about what you did.

Right now I'm showing Redcloud/Sunshine, Belford/Oxford and Shav/Tab as peak to saddle skis. For Recloud we climbed that peak then skied to the saddle to Sunshine then Sunshine all the way back, now with Oxford, I climbed Belford, skied down towards the saddle, climbed Oxford and then had to reclimb Belford again, so that was a little more work. Shav/Tab was similar in that we reclimbed Shav after just skiing the saddle, that was a 16 hour day from the winter trailhead, so it certainly felt like 2 peaks. Either way I'm much more concerned about skiing Capitol than having to redo Oxford.

Now back to making fun of people with selfie sticks, man, they're the worst type of people. :)
AlexeyD
14ers: 44  4  2 
Trip Reports (3)

Post by AlexeyD »

moneymike wrote:As for his Lindsey avalanche, I don't think it necessitates criticism. Triggering loose, wet slides in new storm snow is quite common this time of year, and is easily predictable. I've done it many times, and think that anyone skiing the 14ers should have the skill to predict and purposely release these kinds of slides without getting caught. You may agree or disagree with me, but I won't criticize John for that.
I watched that video several times. That is no loose wet slide or point release - it's definitely a slab avalanche of same flavor - probably a "moistened" storm slab sitting on top of that graupel layer the guy mentioned earlier. The author says so himself - he says that right before triggering it, he heard a "whumph" and saw the fracture. Notice how the snow breaks up into chunks and flows, rather slowly, almost like a lava flow, down the slope. Frankly, the fact that he was unhurt is largely luck: had the fracture propagated a little more and a little faster, he could've easily been caught.
mbourget
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mbourget »

His Wikipedia page is a complete joke. Sounds like it was written by his mom.
Those scientists better check their hypotenuses.
jbchalk
14ers: 58 
Trip Reports (54)

Post by jbchalk »

Just wanted to post that I am enjoying this thread very much. I will refrain from saying anything else. Keep it coming.
mountaingoat-G
14ers: 23  5  1 
13ers: 21 6 1
Trip Reports (1)

Post by mountaingoat-G »

mbourget wrote:His Wikipedia page is a complete joke. Sounds like it was written by his mom.

Love this disclaimer from Wikipedia:

This sounds like it was written by JON K has been nominated to be checked for its neutrality. (July 2014)
The topic of this article may not meet Wikipedia's general notability guideline.
(September 2013)
This article is an autobiography or has been extensively edited by the subject or by someone connected
The neutrality of this article is disputed. (September 2013)
This article includes a list of references, but its sources remain unclear because it has insufficient inline citations. (September 2013)
Vincopotamus
14ers: 36  3  3 
13ers: 10 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Vincopotamus »

jbchalk wrote:Just wanted to post that I am enjoying this thread very much. I will refrain from saying anything else. Keep it coming.
+1

#strapiton
The only time I lower the bar is après
lordhelmut
14ers: 50  21  5 
13ers: 300 60 1
Trip Reports (73)

Post by lordhelmut »

mountaingoat-G wrote:
mbourget wrote:His Wikipedia page is a complete joke. Sounds like it was written by his mom.

Love this disclaimer from Wikipedia:

This sounds like it was written by JON K has been nominated to be checked for its neutrality. (July 2014)
The topic of this article may not meet Wikipedia's general notability guideline.
(September 2013)
This article is an autobiography or has been extensively edited by the subject or by someone connected
The neutrality of this article is disputed. (September 2013)
This article includes a list of references, but its sources remain unclear because it has insufficient inline citations. (September 2013)
So Wikipedia discourages spraying, but if you do spray, make sure its noteworthy. And you can't spray about yourself. Lol.
TallGrass
13ers: 26
Trip Reports (0)

Post by TallGrass »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia ... _Kedrowski

"Keep Information about the subject is Historical and Valuable to the Climbing Community. He is a well-known figure in the world of mountaineering, geography, and speaking. Everest too. Additional reliable sources added and they discuss the topic in depth. -- ChrisJones25 (talk) 15:05, 6 September 2013 (UTC)"

No user record
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:ChrisJones25

No deletion record
https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?ti ... =&subtype=

Page history. Biggest contributors are no record found, including Jkedrowski.

:-k

For comparison, wonder if Gerry Roach has a page...
https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?se ... ext=Search
"A few hours' mountain climbing make of a rogue and a saint two fairly equal creatures.
Tiredness is the shortest path to equality and fraternity - and sleep finally adds to them liberty."
lodgling
14ers: 58  58  2 
13ers: 18 1
Trip Reports (12)

Post by lodgling »

Well, setting aside what he has done this far, if he skis what's left on his list this season, that alone would be an incredible accomplishment.
PaliKona
14ers: 20 
13ers: 17
Trip Reports (0)

Post by PaliKona »

Criticism on his wikipage:

"Kedrowski has frequently been the subject of criticism on popular mountaineering forums, including 14ers.com, the premier Colorado mountaineering website.[22]

Criticisms state Kedrowski has a tendency for narcissistic personality disorder traits, as exhibited in this Wikipedia page, his touted accomplishments, blog writing, and forum posts, all associated with an attempt at market branding. In addition, many of the noted accomplishments, such as high school basketball accolades and sleeping on summits, are unimpressive and fall short of the modern ideal of a public accomplishment.

A particular example involves a fallen and injured climber on Snowmass Mountain in Colorado.[23] Kedrowski reached the climber, provided blankets and food, and left the climber prior to Search and Rescue's arrival. While this aspect is commendable, Kedrowski proceeded to post photos of the injured climber on his personal blog and used the opportunity to promote his book about sleeping on top of non-technical peaks."