Old Man---new life

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
giarcd
14ers: 22 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (15)

Old Man---new life

Post by giarcd »

When I was in my 30 s I was 6' 300lbs,now in my upper 60 s I'm 6' 300 lbs. TIME FOR A RADICAL CHANGE !! On th 8th of Dec. I'll have gastric sleeve surgery. At this point I do not suffer from diabetes or heart problems (thank you God) so before I might. get the weight off and improve my health and conditioning. I intend to take 1 year off from work to get the ins and outs of new eating habits as well as learn what foods I can haul up the mountain, Get ready for a new and lighter GIARCD----gain the summit
bonehead
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Old Man---new life

Post by bonehead »

Best of luck to you.
To a healthy future.
Vaya Con Dios
bergsteigen
14ers: 58  52  18 
13ers: 538 100 12
Trip Reports (237)

Post by bergsteigen »

Wishing you the best of luck Craig!!! Be looking forward to seeing your progress at a gathering in the future!
"Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games." - Ernest Hemingway (or was it Barnaby Conrad?)
Your knees only get so many bumps in life, don't waste them on moguls!
“No athlete is truly tested until they’ve stared an injury in the face and come out on the other side stronger than ever” -anonymous

http://otinasadventures.com @otina
Jay521
14ers: 42  10 
13ers: 175 22
Trip Reports (56)

Post by Jay521 »

Good on ya, Craig! Where there's a will, there's a way. Best of luck to you!!!!!
I take the mountain climber's approach to housekeeping - don't look down
Kansan
14ers: 21 
13ers: 14
Trip Reports (6)

Post by Kansan »

Go get your new life. My niece lost over a 100 lbs last year with diet and exercise. I know you can do it as it takes the same mental attitude that it takes to get up a mountain and you have done that.
mtgirl
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 104
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mtgirl »

Good luck, Craig !

My brother (49), who lives back east, just had the gastric sleeve surgery. His doctor made him lose 50 pounds on his own first, mostly to be certain he was willing and able to make the change in lifestyle, change his eating habits, and exercise (he lost 70 before surgery). He started at 351 pounds and is now down to 210 pounds. He would like to lose another 20-25. Before surgery, he was on meds for high blood pressure, high cholesterol, and high blood sugar. He no longer takes ANY meds. Before surgery, he could barely walk around the block due to severe pain in his ankles and knees. Last month, I went home to visit him, and he asked me to go hiking with him in the Shawangunks. I never thought I would see the day my brother wanted to go hiking. We hiked 7 miles that day together, and I'll treasure it forever ! The following day, we walked a 5K breast cancer awareness walk. I'm so incredibly proud of him, and the change I see in his self confidence brings tears to my eyes.

I wish the same success for you.
"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away."
greenonion
14ers: 50  1 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by greenonion »

Can't wait to read your TRs! If I may give a little advice... Don't over do it too early with too much. This is the time of year to begin building your foundation that you can build upon more in the spring and summer. Stay consistent and gradual, and it will add up. You are now pointed in the right direction. Forward and upward!!
patternmike
14ers: 3 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by patternmike »

At 54 and 260, I am right behind you. I have had to drag myself miserably up the last few 14ers, triathlons and mud runs I did. Your story inspired me and I am beginning a new. Maybe I'll see you on the trail.
Monte Meals
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Monte Meals »

As the Nike commercials say "Just Do It!"

I'm 68 and in addition to the incline and trail running,
I go to the gym three days a week
Go for the workout - stay for the yoga pants :mrgreen:
MonGoose
14ers: 58  16  17 
13ers: 51 11 1
Trip Reports (16)

Post by MonGoose »

I look forward to seeing (less of you) more often in the mountains. Best of luck, Craig!
zoomie83
14ers: 40 
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (1)

Post by zoomie83 »

Hi Craig. Had to look it up but we met on Mt Huron in 2007. I recently shed about 15 lbs and the difference is amazing. Praying for your success.
kushrocks
14ers: 58  25 
13ers: 65 2
Trip Reports (5)

Post by kushrocks »

As someone who myself has lost a lot if weight in the past I find this awesome. Keep updating this thread on your progress after surgery. Good luck on the 8th!
“The best climber in the world is the one who is having all the fun.” – Alex Lowe
" Don’t be afraid to move out of your comfort zone. Some of your best life experiences and opportunities will transpire only after you dare to loose."