Peak Identification "S9" or Hayden Peak

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
spong0949
14ers: 49  1 
13ers: 47
Trip Reports (26)

Peak Identification "S9" or Hayden Peak

Post by spong0949 »

Hi all,

Was hoping you all could help me solve a problem. I've had members here identify this mountain before as "S9" (It's the prominent peak in view from the Dallas Divide). Here's the 13ers.com link: http://www.13ers.com/peaks/peak.php?peak=6290 . I believe they are correct. I was debating this with a friend and my Dad. They don't believe me. We were in the visitor center at Ridgway State Park and there was a big panoramic plaque in there that showed all the peaks of the Sneffels Range and clearly had this mountain labeled as "Hayden Peak." I told them I thought this was wrong. If you do a google search of "Hayden Peak Sneffels Range" this mountain will show up and is labeled by many as "Hayden Peak". If you do a google search of "S9 Sneffels Range" you will see many photos of this same peak labeled "S9" (including, in my opinion, very credible photographs such as this one by Jack Brauer: http://www.mountainphotography.com/phot ... olors-2010. So my question is, is this peak widely mislabeled by photographers and even the state park in the area? There's even a private road along the last dollar road that is named "Hayden View Drive". Does the mountain have two names? If not, where is the real Hayden mountain?

Thanks in advance for any help. I figured this is the best place to get the answer.
Mountain photography and fine art:
https://aaron-spong.pixels.com/

Blog:
http://14erart.com

"SOLI DEO GLORIA"
cheeseburglar
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 79 2 1
Trip Reports (8)

Re: Peak Identification "S9" or Hayden Peak

Post by cheeseburglar »

It appears that 14ers.com has labeled the mountain as S9 and so it is. The best way I know of to change a mountain name is to place a register with a better name than the one before.
Is it labeled on a USGS topo? If not I always defer to locals for the name but other people might not.
The only Hayden I am familiar with is:
http://www.13ers.com/peaks/peak.php?pea ... den+Peak+A" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
That mountain isn't hard ranked but it is famous for being a classic ski descent. And if it has the A label, there might be a B.
This is not the place to get an answer but you might get opinions!
The marmot said “Nobody is perfect and you are not nobody.”

Random FoTH Quotes
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
14ers: 58  46  19 
13ers: 172 44 37
Trip Reports (2)

Post by BillMiddlebrook »

Those people that list it as Hayden Peak are incorrect and probably just call it Hayden because that's the closest, named peak. Hayden is 12,946' and west of Unnamed 13,134' ("S 9").

Hayden in USGS: http://geonames.usgs.gov/apex/f?p=136:3 ... den%20Peak

So this image, often called Hayden, is actually 13,134' ("S 9"):
un13134.jpg
un13134.jpg (339.08 KiB) Viewed 2305 times
"When I go out, I become more alive. I just love skiing. The gravitational pull. When you ski steep terrain... you can almost get a feeling of flying." -Doug Coombs
Mark A Steiner
14ers: 3 
13ers: 11
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Mark A Steiner »

Apart from the fact Bill is correct identifying S9, it is one very impressive peak. Thanks, Bill.

Also, wonder if the "S" may be a short form of "unnamed Sneffels Range peak 9".
Not that I speak in respect of want: for I have learned, in whatever state I am, therewith to be content - Paul the Apostle.
Like it or not, I am a slow driver. Putt ... putt ... putt ...
Good day.
Monster5
14ers: 58  31 
13ers: 290 37
Trip Reports (27)

Post by Monster5 »

LoJ has it listed as S9 and cites the 1932 SJM climber's guide which predates the USGS topos. There are a couple Haydens not too far away above Camp Bird too.

I'm not sure where the 13ers.com peak list/map comes from (old Roach site?), but there are several errors (Z' in the Gore comes to mind and V8 was recently outed as an impostor). The LoJ membership does a good job of correcting names, providing sources, and the list is generally more accurate. LoJ considers historic precedence as well as later adopted map names. And, annoyingly, adds names with tenuous citations, which has frequently been attributed as Brian_C's fault. DYBC.

I believe the "S" derives from standard alphabet nomenclature adopted by early miners/mountaineers. They grouped ridges as the same letter and designated numeric points along the ridge. For example, the U, V, and T series are just south.
"The road to alpine climbing is pocked and poorly marked, ending at an unexpectedly closed gate 5 miles from the trailhead." - MP user Beckerich
TravelingMatt
14ers: 56 
13ers: 435
Trip Reports (2)

Post by TravelingMatt »

Monster5 wrote:I believe the "S" derives from standard alphabet nomenclature adopted by early miners/mountaineers. They grouped ridges as the same letter and designated numeric points along the ridge. For example, the U, V, and T series are just south.
Although the V peaks surround Vermilion and the T peaks are near Teakettle (or Telluride).

There are U peaks?
You never know what is enough until you know what is more than enough. -- William Blake
jdorje
14ers: 12 
13ers: 27
Trip Reports (16)

Post by jdorje »

Interesting; Hayden is just an unranked subpeak off to the west.

Seems similar to the situation with "Mount White", the mountain south of Antero.

http://caltopo.com/map.html#ll=38.65425 ... 6&z=15&b=t" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The map looks straightforward, but the line from the USGS national data file tells a different story...
189453|Mount White|Summit|CO|08|Chaffee|015|383924N|1061322W|38.6566667|-106.2227778|||||4072|13359|Mount Antero|10/13/1978|01/23/2007
Those coordinates are the false summit, labeled on the map as unranked point 13371 and in the USGS entry at 13359', to the east of the ranked summit. I do not know if there is a marker on the false summit.
"I don't think about the past, and the future is a mystery. Only the present matters."
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
Trip Reports (2)

Monster5 wrote:I'm not sure where the 13ers.com peak list/map comes from (old Roach site?), but there are several errors (Z' in the Gore comes to mind and V8 was recently outed as an impostor). The LoJ membership does a good job of correcting names, providing sources, and the list is generally more accurate.
Yeah, I've behind in apply corrections and updates to the 13ers.com peak list. I keep a list and one of these days I'll get to work on it. :-D
"When I go out, I become more alive. I just love skiing. The gravitational pull. When you ski steep terrain... you can almost get a feeling of flying." -Doug Coombs
John Paul
14ers: 41 
13ers: 223
Trip Reports (0)

Post by John Paul »

BillMiddlebrook wrote:
Monster5 wrote:I'm not sure where the 13ers.com peak list/map comes from (old Roach site?), but there are several errors (Z' in the Gore comes to mind and V8 was recently outed as an impostor). The LoJ membership does a good job of correcting names, providing sources, and the list is generally more accurate.
Yeah, I've behind in apply corrections and updates to the 13ers.com peak list. I keep a list and one of these days I'll get to work on it. :-D
Hey Bill I don't think this peak is on the 13er list: http://listsofjohn.com/peak/5280" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It's not ranked but it's gotta a cool little story behind the name: http://www.summitpost.org/spencer-peak/463578" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
alpha
14ers: 3 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (0)

Post by alpha »

Mark A Steiner wrote:Apart from the fact Bill is correct identifying S9, it is one very impressive peak. Thanks, Bill.
Now that the name is settled, are there any reports of winter/spring snow routes up this? Agreed, very impressive, and looks like it might be a fun snow climb.
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
Trip Reports (2)

Thanks!
spong0949
14ers: 49  1 
13ers: 47
Trip Reports (26)

Post by spong0949 »

Thanks for the clarification Bill!

So is this labeled correctly?
S9 Labeled.jpg
S9 Labeled.jpg (197.41 KiB) Viewed 2077 times
Here it is on peakfinder:
Hayden Labeled.jpg
Hayden Labeled.jpg (154.3 KiB) Viewed 2077 times
Turns out the panorama at the visitor center had "S9" labeled as Hayden Peak. Hayden Peak was Labeled as North Pole Peak, and North Pole Peak wasn't labeled at all. It's interesting that even "official sources" can often be incorrect. This must be why many mislabel "S9" as Hayden Peak. I find it pretty funny actually. This peak is one of the most photographed mountains in the state (from Dallas Divide), yet most people don't know its name. I've also seen it often confused as Mt. Sneffels, though it's not really very close to Sneffels at all. But then again, I've seen numerous "official" pictures claiming to be of Colorado that feature the Tetons. My colleague even has a plaque/trophy in her room that says "Denver...such and such" and the picture in the background is from Banff National Park.
Mountain photography and fine art:
https://aaron-spong.pixels.com/

Blog:
http://14erart.com

"SOLI DEO GLORIA"