Nolan's 14 Season (Many Attempts)

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
ScaredyCat
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Nolan's 14 Season (Many Attempts)

Post by ScaredyCat »

I am in awe of Andrew!!! I am so proud of him!! 3 to go!!!!
andreasansone
14ers: 58  1  5 
13ers: 73
Trip Reports (1)

Post by andreasansone »

Andrew is killin it!!!! Doing awesome friend!! Keep it up !!!! Go go go!!!!!
“Be not afraid of going slowly, be afraid only of standing still.”
jdorje
14ers: 12 
13ers: 27
Trip Reports (16)

Post by jdorje »

13 hours to go and he's descending la plata. Killing it indeed.

The same source from the previous split lists 9:50 from fish hatchery to la plata.
"I don't think about the past, and the future is a mystery. Only the present matters."
herdbull
14ers: 58 
13ers: 14
Trip Reports (1)

Post by herdbull »

Holy crap! He must feel he has something to prove (to himself). Fingers crossed. Go get'em Andrew and finish strong.
ScaredyCat
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ScaredyCat »

Andrew just made the summit of Massive! He has until 5:40pm to be under 60h! He has been solo, no support, and has carried everything he needed for the trek the entire time, except for water. Go Andrew!!!! You can do this!
herdbull
13ers: 14
Trip Reports (1)

Post by herdbull »

Win, lose or draw...... I have a new hero :-D

Looks like he might be a little short but at this point it really doesn't matter. Hell of an effort.
thebeave7
13ers: 127
Trip Reports (25)

Post by thebeave7 »

It's pretty incredible that he's doing this unsupported, he'll have to push if he wants to make it under 60h. He did say originally that since he was doing it unsupported he wasn't anticipating reaching the Hatchery in 60h, but maybe he's changed his tune.

Go man go, finish it up strong!

Eric

PS sorry I slacked on getting this up, was out of town Friday/Saturday in the Mts with no service.
Me fail English? That's unpossible. http://www.ericjlee.com/Blogs
pbakwin
14ers: 56 
13ers: 64
Trip Reports (19)

Post by pbakwin »

If I'm seeing this right Andrew made a 30min navigation error coming off Massive???? It would be awful if that cost him the 60 hr finish!
thebeave7
13ers: 127
Trip Reports (25)

Post by thebeave7 »

pbakwin wrote:If I'm seeing this right Andrew made a 30min navigation error coming off Massive???? It would be awful if that cost him the 60 hr finish!
Peter, I saw that same thing too, but according to Matt Mahoney he's ok because he got to the summit of Massive in under 60h, but this kind of conflicts with what Blake Wood and Matt told a me month ago via email about the timing (60h to TH). But on Matt's site he says 60h to the final summit. Either way its pretty amazing he's done it all unsupported in such stellar time.

Eric
Me fail English? That's unpossible. http://www.ericjlee.com/Blogs
andrewhamilton
14ers: 58  2  58 
13ers: 95
Trip Reports (3)

Post by andrewhamilton »

Hi Everyone!

Well, I will do a trip write-up and post a link if you want to read about my Nolan's attempt. I did indeed completely mess up the descent from Massive. I had never seen that route before and after getting mugged by some mean old willows I turned the wrong way once I finally found the trail #-o It was so disappointing because I had worked so hard early in the day to build up a buffer (I wanted 2 hours for the descent, and I had about 2:20 to work with) and to blow it like that really sucked! It reminded me of the old adventure racing days where we would always do great until we completely blew it with a big navigation error. After the 60 hours went by I was pretty demoralized and beat up and slowly walked in and finally dropped down by the car with a time of 60:19. :dead

Once it seemed possible, I tried hard to get under 60 hours (trailhead to trailhead) and join the elite group of people who have accomplished that...So in that sense my effort was a big FAIL!!! However, it was fun and I have to thank my kids for making 60 hours with no sleep seem like nothing!

I personally like going South to North for one very big reason...Princeton. To me, Princeton is THE beast of the Nolan's route. I like South to North because you get Princeton early on, and can try to avoid hitting it in the dark. There are lots of other tradeoffs but for me the likelihood of hitting Princeton in the dark if coming in from the other direction is a big problem.
forbins_mtn
14ers: 28  2 
13ers: 11
Trip Reports (5)

Post by forbins_mtn »

Great job, Andrew! It was incredible keeping up with this. Please rest up and give it another shot because there's no reason you can't destroy it next year.
Tory Wells
14ers: 46 
13ers: 24
Trip Reports (9)

Post by Tory Wells »

Andrew: Any residual effects or lingering injuries from the 14er speed record attempt? I'm curious how long it takes the legs to recover from such an endeavor.
"Tongue-tied and twisted, just an earthbound misfit, am I." -David Gilmour, Pink Floyd

"We knocked the bastard off." Hillary, 1953
"It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves." Hillary, 2003
Couldn't we all use 50 years of humble growth?
-Steve Gladbach