Sawyer the 14er Canine Dies

Dogs, dogs and even some cats
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Johnson
14ers: 58 
13ers: 42
Trip Reports (6)

Re: Sawyer the 14er Canine Dies

Post by Johnson »

Owner of Sawyer,

Josh, I remember Sawyer and I am saddened to hear of his departure and the pain you feel now. I hope you will find comfort knowing that people here care. God bless and may your paths be smooth.

Barry
In his hand are the depths of the earth; the heights of the mountains are his also. - Psalm 95:4

"I would be doing myself a disservice and every member of this band if I didn't perform the hell out of this." - Gene
Rarefied
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Rarefied »

Your words and pictures say it all. ‘Sorry for both of you. But Sawyer left you with something very precious -- fond memories. Call on them frequently, that’s what they are there for. And notice the soft smile that undoubtedly comes with recalling each one.
mtgirl wrote:Go climb Capitol, in honor of Sawyer.
+1. Perhaps you could help Sawyer finish what you both started by taking something of his up to the summit of Capitol with you. Maybe some of his ashes (if he was cremated), a favorite rolled-up sock, a piece of his climbing gear, etc. Helping your old buddy who gladly would have gone if age had allowed might be a nice, quiet, fitting tribute to such a wonderful companion. Just a thought.

Stay well and let us know when the book is released.

R
OscarMayerSweener
14ers: 39 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by OscarMayerSweener »

So sorry to hear this.

Sounds like you gave Sawyer the best gift a dog could ask for: an adventure filled life with the person he loved the most: you.

He's probably getting a well-deserved rest right now - napping until he sees you again.
grhigh
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by grhigh »

Josh,

"There are some simple truths, and the dogs know what they are."

Now you do to.

Your Capitol climb will be with Sawyer.

Gerry Roach
JosephG
14ers: 58  9 
13ers: 171
Trip Reports (9)

Post by JosephG »

Josh,

Sorry to hear about Sawyer. You certainly gave him and enjoyed with him a very full and rewarding life. If only all pets could claim such caring owners. Will look forward to reading about your adventures with him.
JA_son27
14ers: 54  1 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (31)

Post by JA_son27 »

My condolences to you, so sorry for your loss.
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.
HunkyDunk
13ers: 54
Trip Reports (0)

Post by HunkyDunk »

I am truly sorry for your loss.
I love to be in the mountain air, simply because I am happiest there!!,,,,www.ricksportraits.net
Jay521
14ers: 42  10 
13ers: 175 22
Trip Reports (56)

Post by Jay521 »

As one who has also lost his forever friends, I would offer this thought - I can't take credit for it, I just recall reading it somewhere...

"... A loved one is not truly gone as long as they live in our memories..."

Our forever friends DO live on in our memories. I will never forget my dog friends and I sure you will never forget Sawyer.

Sincere condolences....

Jay
I take the mountain climber's approach to housekeeping - don't look down
14erFred
14ers: 51 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by 14erFred »

My deepest sympathy on the loss of your friend and companion, Sawyer. He had a remarkable spirit that comes alive in your vivid and moving descriptions of him. May the memories of the days you two shared together be a blessing to you in the days ahead, and may the joy he gave you live forever in your heart.
"Live as on a mountain." -- Marcus Aurelius
globreal
14ers: 58  1  26 
13ers: 198 2 6
Trip Reports (61)

Post by globreal »

Josh,

Hey buddy, I am deeply sorry for the loss of your best friend. I know your pain is intense right now. I have been through the loss of two black labs, my Beau buddy and Sampson. So I realize your grieving is every bit as intense as the loss of a person. And that is okay…deep grieving is okay….even needed.

I remember you talking to me a while back about filming Sawyers Finisher. I was wondering what ever happened about that. Now I know and I am sorry you didn't get to accomplish that final mountain with him. But that speaks a lot about you. What an amazing person you are to look out for your friends (Sawyer's) interest and health and to not push him for your own agenda. That just shows your character. =D>

I too would encourage you to go finish Capitol now, in honor of, and as a tribute to Sawyer. I think it might actually bring some healing for you. And if at all possible, I would love to be your partner on that climb if my schedule will allow it.

Regardless if you climb Capitol or not, I am glad to hear you have a faith component in your life, to help you through this difficult time. I'll be lifting you up in prayer. May God carry you, and comfort you as you journey though the mourning of Sawyer.

Britt
dehrlich101
14ers: 46  2 
13ers: 19
Trip Reports (21)

Post by dehrlich101 »

I am sorry for your loss, Josh. Being a dog owner myself I can understand the pain you are in.

From what I've read Sawyer had a great life.. Really what more could a dog want then a good owner who cares about them and takes them hiking?!?

I hope you will one day finish the 14ers on Capitol, maybe bring a memento of Sawyers or his ashes to the top? He may not be there with you physically, but he will be there.

I am looking forward to reading about Sawyer in your book.
I am glad I shall never be young without wild country to be young in - Aldo Leopold

Support Colorado Search and Rescue - CORSAR Card

LOJ
AdgePeakster
14ers: 44 
13ers: 22
Trip Reports (0)

Post by AdgePeakster »

Josh,
Oh I am crying as I read this. What an incredible journey you and Sawyer have shared. I remember sending you messages years ago, asking you advice/questions about climbing with my Golden Retriever Tippet, and gave you a tiny bit of beta on Capitol in hopes that Sawyer could bypass the knife's edge to get to the top. I cannot wait to read about your climbs and life together. I admire your relationship so much and loved how you provided Sawyer with an amazing, adventure-filled life. Thank you for sharing your story with us over the years. -Adrienne
"While God's glory is written all over His work, in wilderness the letters are capitalized." ~John Muir