maroon bells rescue

Threads related to Colorado mountaineering accidents but please keep it civil and respectful. Friends and relatives of fallen climbers will be reading these posts.
Forum rules
Please be respectful when posting - family and friends of fallen climbers might be reading this forum.
dpage
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 28 3
Trip Reports (1)

maroon bells rescue

Post by dpage »

Two skiers rescued from Maroon Bells - http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_25890 ... roon-bells" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
AndyJB444
14ers: 16  1 
13ers: 15
Trip Reports (0)

Re: maroon bells rescue

Post by AndyJB444 »

Were they wearing tennis shoes?
EatinHardtack
14ers: 42  20  3 
13ers: 79 32 2
Trip Reports (8)

Post by EatinHardtack »

This was a member of the forum. Please do not divulge any names yet out of respect.
"In our youths our hearts were touched with fire" - Oliver Wendell Holmes
MountainHiker
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 109
Trip Reports (7)

Post by MountainHiker »

I'm glad this wasn't more serious. Thanks to Pitkin County and Mountain Rescue Aspen.
Red, Rugged, and Rotten: The Elk Range - Borneman & Lampert
--bb--
14ers: 58 
13ers: 42 9 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by --bb-- »

glad everyone is ok!
tlongpine
14ers: 27  1  2 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (4)

Post by tlongpine »

EatinHardtack wrote:This was a member of the forum. Please do not divulge any names yet out of respect.
Of course, had it been a stranger you should feel free to say whatever half-baked judgmental non-sense you want. Right?
I am unable to walk away from the mountain without climbing it. An unclimbed mountain tugs at my consciousness with the eternal weight of time itself. Until I've pressed my face into it's alpine winds, hugged it's ancient granite walls, and put it's weathered summit beneath my heal I'm unable to resist it's attraction.Knowing nature gives the mountain more time than she gives us adds urgency to the obsession. As has been said before; the mountain doesn't care.

It can wait forever. I cannot.
John Landers
Trip Reports (1)

Post by John Landers »

tlongpine wrote:
EatinHardtack wrote:This was a member of the forum. Please do not divulge any names yet out of respect.
Of course, had it been a stranger you should feel free to say whatever half-baked judgmental non-sense you want. Right?
Big difference in divulging names shortly after an incident potentially prior to family being notified, whether they are 14ers.com members or not, and passing judgment about some unidentified person. Some may find both disagreeable, but they are an apples and oranges in comparison.
ameristrat
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 30
Trip Reports (9)

Post by ameristrat »

Circumstances and identities aside, this sounds like a clean rescue operation. Outstanding work as always by SAR, and a blessing that the news is good! Anytime I see "Rescue" and "Maroon Bells" in the same line, my stomach drops.
You cannot stay on the summit forever; you have to come down again. So why bother in the first place? Just this: What is above knows what is below, but what is below does not know what is above. One climbs, one sees. One descends, one sees no longer, but one has seen. There is an art of conducting oneself in the lower regions by the memory of what one saw higher up. When one can no longer see, one can at least still know. - Rene Daumal
OnyourLeft
Trip Reports (1)

Post by OnyourLeft »

Do we know what model of PLB they used?
DoctorBreaks
14ers: 33  5 
13ers: 6 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by DoctorBreaks »

Just glad to hear they are ok. A friend of mine is planning to do The Bells as his first 14er. Crazy guy.
"Mountains are not Stadiums where I satisfy my ambition to achieve, they are the cathedrals where I practice my religion."

-Anatoli Boukreev

Be humble enough to respect the mountain, but confident enough to climb it.

Man cannot remake himself without suffering, for he is both the marble and the sculptor.
Roald
14ers: 58  1 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Roald »

tlongpine wrote:
I will not even bother with the rest of this thread if there aren't going to be any judgmental statements made about skills, equipment, or mental logic. What a buzz-kill.
chrismjx wrote:

Roald, in that one sentence you managed to demonstrate that A) you're an idiot and B) you're a hypocrite, and a perfect example of the cause of the modern-day problems in this country.
DoctorBreaks
14ers: 33  5 
13ers: 6 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by DoctorBreaks »

Roald wrote:
tlongpine wrote:
I will not even bother with the rest of this thread if there aren't going to be any judgmental statements made about skills, equipment, or mental logic. What a buzz-kill.
Yeah it's always good to hear about what happened to others, not because what happened was good, but because everything in life can teach us lessons.
"Mountains are not Stadiums where I satisfy my ambition to achieve, they are the cathedrals where I practice my religion."

-Anatoli Boukreev

Be humble enough to respect the mountain, but confident enough to climb it.

Man cannot remake himself without suffering, for he is both the marble and the sculptor.